New DCI Blu-ray

I'm quite excited about this, more so than Volume 1.

For those unsure about the quality, there's a little vingette somewhere on the DCI website featuring Will Pitts & Tom Blair where they review volume 1. They compare the new remastered shows on volume 1 to their original versions. The difference in both sound & visual quality is striking.

You mean the one I posted right above this?

tongue.gif

You mean the one I posted right above this?

tongue.gif

I'm in work just now and the link is disabled.

Makes sense, I did wonder why your post was blank......

This is volume 2 - has anyone seen the final volume 1 product? How did the pre-HD recordings turn out?

Mike

The pre-HD recordings look and sound incredible! I picked this up in December at the DCI booth at Chicago Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic and I'm continually blown away with how awesome it is. I have several of the legacy DVD's, and the quality on the Essentials Blu-ray seems like a HUGE step up. Like I said, I'm really excited for Volume 2, and I think the two collections together are pretty off the hook as far as great shows in an outstanding package

I just received version two at home today! :thumbup:/>

Edited by LaSqueegee

This is volume 2 - has anyone seen the final volume 1 product? How did the pre-HD recordings turn out?

Mike

Not great, IMO. Audio might be a little better, but overall, it's very hard to up-convert those sources to anything close to HD. And of course, the original aspect ratio is there as well, so if you have a widescreen TV, you got huge black bars on either side.

Not great, IMO. Audio might be a little better, but overall, it's very hard to up-convert those sources to anything close to HD. And of course, the original aspect ratio is there as well, so if you have a widescreen TV, you got huge black bars on either side.

I AB'ed it with Legacy DVD's and I thought both audio & video were much improved. I don't have a ton of Legacy DVD's, so for me this is a no-brainer. If someone has all of the Legacy DVD's, I'm not sure it would be worth the extra $60 for the Blu's

Got mine today - here are my humble thoughts:

1 - Having 72 Kingsmen on there is great, and the sound is excellent. I think they synced the audio from the Kobold DCI recording to the video. Its very good, and the quality of the black and white is rather good considering the age of the video and where it came from.

2 - 76 BD, 82 BD, and 83 Garfield sound wonderful, and the picture is definitely cleaner

3 - 87 Garfield - WOW, great sound in my opinion compared to the original, picture is cleaner, and an added twist - somehow Tom Blair and his crew were able to pull the sound from the soloist at the very end so you can actually hear him over the crowd. They took out some of the crowd noise, so purists may not like it, but its cool actually hearing the soloist at the end. And I don't think its a dub from another recording, because I have the semifinals video and it doesn't sound the same.

4 - 88 Madison - great picture and great sound. I always thought 88 was great picture wise and sound wise anyway, but its even better here

5 - 95 Cavies - this was the one I wanted to hear most, because the original sound was awful back when it was first released in 95. Its DEFINITELY improved - not all the high "tingy" sounds anymore, broader, and video seems more in sync with audio than the original. For all of us who have been waiting to hear the 95 sounds corrected, this is certainly improved.

6 -96 BD - see 95 Cavies above. Same thing, much better audio, great pics

7 - 99 Vanguard - excellent, great sound, pic improved

8 - 2000 Cadets, 2002 Cavaliers, 2003 BD - all better, great sound

9 - 08 Phantom - yes, the copyright "edit" is still there, but wow, the picture is as close to being HD as can be without it actually being HD - looks great, and the sound is awesome. I honestly wish they would re-release the whole 2008 set again on blu-ray cleaned up like this. Would be nice to see 08 BD, 08 Crown, 08 Cavies and the rest of the top 12 cleaned up with great sound on bluray.

I love this Blu-ray, hope you all do too

leed17

• Like 3

1 - Having 72 Kingsmen on there is great, and the sound is excellent. I think they synced the audio from the Kobold DCI recording to the video. Its very good, and the quality of the black and white is rather good considering the age of the video and where it came from.

2 - 76 BD, 82 BD, and 83 Garfield sound wonderful, and the picture is definitely cleaner

3 - 87 Garfield - WOW, great sound in my opinion compared to the original, picture is cleaner, and an added twist - somehow Tom Blair and his crew were able to pull the sound from the soloist at the very end so you can actually hear him over the crowd. They took out some of the crowd noise, so purists may not like it, but its cool actually hearing the soloist at the end. And I don't think its a dub from another recording, because I have the semifinals video and it doesn't sound the same.

4 - 88 Madison - great picture and great sound. I always thought 88 was great picture wise and sound wise anyway, but its even better here

5 - 95 Cavies - this was the one I wanted to hear most, because the original sound was awful back when it was first released in 95. Its DEFINITELY improved - not all the high "tingy" sounds anymore, broader, and video seems more in sync with audio than the original. For all of us who have been waiting to hear the 95 sounds corrected, this is certainly improved.

9 - 08 Phantom - yes, the copyright "edit" is still there, but wow, the picture is as close to being HD as can be without it actually being HD - looks great, and the sound is awesome. I honestly wish they would re-release the whole 2008 set again on blu-ray cleaned up like this. Would be nice to see 08 BD, 08 Crown, 08 Cavies and the rest of the top 12 cleaned up with great sound on bluray.

leed17

Thanks for the review. I'll order volume 2 of Essentials soon. I have volume 1 and was very pleased with the overall quality.

leed17

I have the original 8 DCI Finals videos from 1972 on a DVD set, and Ive talked to the guy who did the restoration for Steve Vickers of DCW, and he did NOT use the Ken Kobold recording, he used the original sound recording on the video. Granted, he spent MONTHS editing out the 96k brainscreaming frequency noise that made it a pain to watch, but WOW. I saw the original tape vs. the edited one, and he did a GREAT job (not Toms work).

leed17

Thanks for the review. My wife is now upset because this review will now "force" me to purchase this Blu-ray sooner than later :tongue: