New DCI Blu-ray

No one has posted this yet, so I figured I would do so: DCI has released their new Essentials Vol. 2 Champions Blu-ray disc. It will be ship by the end of May.

Here is the announcement link:

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=427e23fd-5e6d-4118-b1d3-4896c40001d8

This disc has a lot of the shows that everyone wanted on Disc 1 - 08 Regiment, 00 Cadets, 02 Cavaliers, 88 Madison, 99 SCV, 87 Garfield - seems like its going to be a great addition to the series. I'll be interested to see if they continue on with a third champions disc in the future (maybe shows like 04 Cavies, 80 BD, 85 Cadets, etc) or if they go another route and have other shows (maybe 2nd place shows like 89 Regiment, or something similar), or if this is all we see.

Gonna be cool to have the disc 2 soon though - :)

leed17

• Like 1

Version 2.0 is going to be pretty sweet! Although I am sure that the 2008 Phantom Regiment show is going to have that video edit in it that my current DVD does not have as I have one of the original pre-edit versions. :satisfied:

• Like 1

No one has posted this yet, so I figured I would do so: DCI has released their new Essentials Vol. 2 Champions Blu-ray disc. It will be ship by the end of May.

Here is the announcement link:

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=427e23fd-5e6d-4118-b1d3-4896c40001d8

This disc has a lot of the shows that everyone wanted on Disc 1 - 08 Regiment, 00 Cadets, 02 Cavaliers, 88 Madison, 99 SCV, 87 Garfield - seems like its going to be a great addition to the series. I'll be interested to see if they continue on with a third champions disc in the future (maybe shows like 04 Cavies, 80 BD, 85 Cadets, etc) or if they go another route and have other shows (maybe 2nd place shows like 89 Regiment, or something similar), or if this is all we see.

Gonna be cool to have the disc 2 soon though - :)

leed17

This is a great set, and a wonderful 'companion' disc to Vol. 1.

I hope they continue this series, and I kind of think that they need to at least finish up the "Champions" series. If for no other reason it is integral that they remaster those shows in HD. After the 'Champions' series it would be great if they did a 'Fan Favorites' type of series, similar to what WGI does. That would leave room for some great non-Champion shows (while also maybe involving a fan-voting type of thing to get customers more involved).

• Like 1

not sure if it'll be worth it given all of the edits surely to happen

• Like 1

This is volume 2 - has anyone seen the final volume 1 product? How did the pre-HD recordings turn out?

Mike

Volume 1 is great - the older videos are in 4:3 original aspect ratio, but the picture is EXCELLENT, and I think the sound is amazing for all the shows on Vol. 1. I compared them to my Legacy DVD set, and its definitely a step up. If you can get past the original aspect ratio with the black bars on each side, than you will really like these. I used to stretch my Legacy DVD set videos to fit my TV screen, but after seeing the original aspect ratio, I went back to watching them in 4:3 as well. It just looks better. Anyway, Vol. 1 is great...

Just my humble opinion

This is volume 2 - has anyone seen the final volume 1 product? How did the pre-HD recordings turn out?

Mike

Since I have each DVD from 1974 to the present, I didn't see a need for the DVD until I learned they had the 1973 SCV show on it, so I purchased it. When I got home and watched it, I would not get over difference between the 1975 DVD by Madison and the remastered version on the Essentials Champions Blu-ray. I do not know all the specifics as another poster mentioned, but the quality is great.

Personally, I want to see the 1972 Anaheim Kingsmen show. I know like the 1973 SCV show it will be imperfect, but I love vintage shows.

I'm quite excited about this, more so than Volume 1.

For those unsure about the quality, there's a little vingette somewhere on the DCI website featuring Will Pitts & Tom Blair where they review volume 1. They compare the new remastered shows on volume 1 to their original versions. The difference in both sound & visual quality is striking.

• Like 1