Evansville Show

First. The stands were packed. There was a lot of audience energy tonight. Some shows I attend, it seems too many are

there to be super critical, and at times like tonight, there to simply be entertained and supportive of the activity.

Great job gate persons and show organizers at organizing the flow of attenders into the venue. Even with the long INT

for the weather, I had a great time. If tonight's groups are any sign of the quality of the season, WOW!

COLTS: Overall a better show for them than last year in that the visual coordination is better. The rock/pop nature of theirshow is refreshing in a drum corps world that I think too often dictates that accessible and entertaining is not as rewardable as esoteric and disjunct. All sections seem to be about the same talent level as each other. It seems the guard show is not yet finished. There are some solid trumpets out there for sure. Though I enjoyed it and thought they were pretty clean for this early, nothing stood out a lot for me. They are a solid drum corps. Though not wanting to say they are not finalist quality, for a corps that may not be top 12 in August, they certainly show how much deeper quality has gotten over the past few years.

BLUE STARS: The corp is clearly talented in all sections. The brass produced a fair amount of volume tonight, though I get a bit tired of the same key for so many of the hits for so many corps. If you think about it, if most corps pick Bb Major for their resolutions/hits, they start to sound the same corps to corps. I know its all about context, etc. I guess I had some preconceived notions about some things they might do with the theme. I didn't find those to be evident tonight, but that did not keep me from enjoying the quality of each section of the corps and good pacing of arrivals versus transitions. Again, high level of performance for so early in the summer.

CROSSMEN: I have been eager to see what they would do with a show theme that I though would fit them well. As the corps comes on the field the guard is carrying protest signs and the brass are waving their arms as if at a protest rally. The show starts and I instantly thought Crossmen. The vibe was similar to many of their past most popular shows. The brass writing has a certain sound to it that is also very Crossmen/Naffier. The guard is pretty and talented, but the work and silks are very understated I think for the music. The drum line has some good exposures that will clean up with time. I liked the drum tuning a lot. The brass have some technique exposures at times that will also clean up pretty soon. I think the Protest theme is a great choice and I am sure it will continue to develop over the summer. I felt the show was successful overall, but was expecting a bit more coming off of last year's surge.

TROOPERS: The show theme is very evident and hooks you in right away. They make a very nice brass sound. The flags are beautiful and really spoke to me what a difference color can make to a show when the flags are designed to really connect the theme and overall personality of the show and corps. The show is definitely a Patriotic Troopers show, but without being trite. The drums seem to be a bit of a weakness now, but overall the show speaks to the audience well and is already pretty clean. The brass made some big sounds and seem the strength of the show. I am curious to see if they will add some demand. Overall, very nice show preformed with a lot of confidence and presence. Fans often give them a lot of nostalgic love based on their past. But even without knowing their past, this show stands up well. The people just below us in the stands were new to drum corps and don't not follow band either. They were very eager to share their impressions with me and my wife. I loved how honest and respectfully curious they were. Their favorite shows were Spirit and Troopers. We found it interesting that they loved both for the shows themselves without knowing either corps' past of how both are staying true to themselves and their style of drum corps. Come on judges, this has to be worth something. If what BD does (it is fine they do it, but not everyone please) is what everyone will eventually do, we will loose the activity and new fans like these, people who said the ticket price was worth it and they will be sure to attend next year.

SPIRIT OF ATLANTA: Like so many other reviews of them, I have to steal other's first reaction, WOW! To ask where did this come from seems a little dismissive of what they have done the past few years, building back to this point, however, this isn't the next logical step up from last year, its a huge leap up. Crowd went nutso when the full horn line cranked it up during their Speakeasy intro. In just one minute or so you are completely hooked into their show theme and high energy and confident delivery style. Every section of the corps seems way up in talent. Like with Troopers flags, the designs do so much to bring the show to life. There are many major effect moments. I was struck by how inventive and different each was

from the other, and all in one show. That in itself is a real feat in modern drum corps if you ask me. The ballad is beautiful and shows a much more mature brass section approach to finesse where they play at very soft volume levels with a ton of rubato already handled very well throughout the piece. A lot of fantastic soloists. Tons of musical and visual variety. Great pit! Great drum writing that always seems perfectly appropriate to the show and musical ideas. The show theme is so evident throughout. Talk about accessible and entertaining but also intricate and detailed. I think super competitive for top 8. Cannot wait to see it again. I thought they should have been much closer to Madison in that there show seems to have way less issues in terms of progression, and flow. There seems to be plenty to clean up and challenge the members throughout the summer in a good way.

MADISON SCOUTS: Well I must say that the thought that having an all male corps, playing up brotherhood, and adding in a ton of military/patriotic themes, seems pretty smart. They pull all of this off pretty well. With moments that are very strong, they still have some moments to work out, especially the middle of the show. The guard is better and percussion much. Starting the show with the rotating company front makes a lot of sense. Though the guard is in fatigues, I dont get the show theme until a few minutes in once we see the copter blades and hear the voice over. Maybe that's OK. That first minute is performed extremely well and may be their best minute. I disliked that after the intro we got an extended drum solo that seemed gratuitous in that it broke the show flow for me and the drumming seemed to be more about showing off, which they whole corps does quite well, than show theme development as a whole. There were lots of ffff brass and drum moments, lots. It seemed too much for me in that they keep going to that as music effect. There are some other types of musical effects, but not enough for me tonight. There is a lot of scatter and play acting. After singing, they then play Never Walk while guard members carry the dead soldiers on their shoulders off the front of the field. The ballad is one of the most effective moments in their show. Most of the music is dissonant and angry sounding. A second drum feature and the high note trumpets also come across as gratuitous to me, especially the trumpets. I know it is a Madison thing, but did not fit the show at all in my opinion. I did enjoy them a lot, though while typing this I realized that I did find the show itself to have some issues. Don't get me wrong, they perform well with that old Madison swagger for sure. I do seem them possibly top 8, but think the show will need more development for top six, as some are suggesting, to happen.

Edited by recketscience
  • Like 2

Nice review, and very detailed. Much appreciated!

Thanks for the excellent review! Hope to see more reviews from you!

If you think about it, if most corps pick Bb Major for their resolutions/hits, they start to sound the same corps to corps. I know its all about context, etc.

I'll just say as someone without perfect pitch or anything close to it, this doesn't bother me. In fact, I would never have even thought about it except for the occasional complaint on DCP about the key. I prefer louder and more in-tune, and if that means playing in Bb, then Bb it up, guys! :w00t:

Edited by skywhopper

Hi all,

I think that Spirit's achilles heal this year will be the guard. As muchh as I love the idea of the show, I feel that their guard has taken a step back in terms of design. They never really capture the spirit (no pun intended) of the speakeasy, and the work and choreography is just not layered or sohisticated enough to push them forward.

Later,

Mike

• Like 1

Hi all,

I think that Spirit's achilles heal this year will be the guard. As muchh as I love the idea of the show, I feel that their guard has taken a step back in terms of design. They never really capture the spirit (no pun intended) of the speakeasy, and the work and choreography is just not layered or sohisticated enough to push them forward.

Later,

Mike

Well you certainly made me pause and wonder if I missed something. I went back and thought through their show and then watched the Muncie video. Not the world's leading expert in guard, but I can hold my own with many. Though not clean yet, I do think they are better than they have been in a longtime, especially the weapons. They are relying way less on the flag line to carry most the show. The show clearly is about the 1920s as a whole with the title Speakeasy used as broad term I think to represent the era. I am also a huge turn of the century American history buff and have participated in several documentaries on the subject including post production editing of Prohibition by Ken Burns. Costumes clearly 1920s, including a solo flapper, all girls as flappers in the ending, men in 1920s tuxes, short skirts, sleeveless tops, spats, fedoras, etc., the girl's headwear, the ballad costumes seem right out of any 1920s glamour video. All somewhat modernized as would be expected. The whole beginning is very Speakeasy for me with the solo flapper and all the dance and character acting. Lots of dancing and lower body is from the 1920s dances (quick step, charleston, black bottom, Baltimore Buzz, foxtrot). The gangster section is one of several great sophisticated sections for them. Pretty amazing and well coordinated, I am sure they will add a lot more to it. And when is the last time we saw Spirit with that many people on rifle? If layered you mean using the triad of responsibilities: drill, equipment, and dance/body, I think they do all of that a lot. If anything, several of the guards in their neighborhood do a lot more standing and spinning and have much fewer drill responsibilities. Just at the shows where I have seen them and from the Muncie video, Cavies and Madison have some better tossers, but not collectively. Spirit has a lot more variety of stage types throughout their show. Scouts have much less body or dance. At least between these three guards, I find Spirit's guard to hold their own and certainly are embracing their show theme.

Edited by recketscience

Well you certainly made me pause and wonder if I missed something. I went back and thought through their show and then watched the Muncie video. Not the world's leading expert in guard, but I can hold my own with many. Though not clean yet, I do think they are better than they have been in a longtime, especially the weapons. They are relying way less on the flag line to carry most the show. The show clearly is about the 1920s as a whole with the title Speakeasy used as broad term I think to represent the era. I am also a huge turn of the century American history buff and have participated in several documentaries on the subject including post production editing of Prohibition by Ken Burns. Costumes clearly 1920s, including a solo flapper, all girls as flappers in the ending, men in 1920s tuxes, short skirts, sleeveless tops, spats, fedoras, etc., the girl's headwear, the ballad costumes seem right out of any 1920s glamour video. All somewhat modernized as would be expected. The whole beginning is very Speakeasy for me with the solo flapper and all the dance and character acting. Lots of dancing and lower body is from the 1920s dances (quick step, charleston, black bottom, Baltimore Buzz, foxtrot). The gangster section is one of several great sophisticated sections for them. Pretty amazing and well coordinated, I am sure they will add a lot more to it. And when is the last time we saw Spirit with that many people on rifle? If layered you mean using the triad of responsibilities: drill, equipment, and dance/body, I think they do all of that a lot. If anything, several of the guards in their neighborhood do a lot more standing and spinning and have much fewer drill responsibilities. Just at the shows where I have seen them and from the Muncie video, Cavies and Madison have some better tossers, but not collectively. Spirit has a lot more variety of stage types throughout their show. Scouts have much less body or dance. At least between these three guards, I find Spirit's guard to hold their own and certainly are embracing their show theme.

There is a video from the Muncie show? Could you link it? I have only seen the clip posted from Move in and have been searching for a while for some footage.

There is a video from the Muncie show? Could you link it? I have only seen the clip posted from Move in and have been searching for a while for some footage.

You have to be a paying member of the fan network. It is under the live broadcast section on the right of the first page.

Not sure if that will remain accessible.