my Quincy review

totally blew it last night and forgot my phone for a review of each as it happened so ill review from my memory which probably shows more what stood out anyway!

Spartans are back--great show i was completely blown away to see them performing at this level after the issues they had a few years ago. They were certainly back and balanced in my opinion. The show theme can and I am sure will be developed more as we go but they have strong performance across the board. I had them easily in first with it being tighter in guard and thats exactly what happened.

7th Regiment Luminous had some beautiful visual moments especially thanks to the guard. The corps was again solid and balanced in other categories and for a corps who hasnt been around long was really very entertaining and showing some drum corps know how. wasnt Phantoms into the light show but it was refreshing they didnt just copy that completely and made the show their own.

Raider--to be honest guard was the only thing that stood out to me in this show--deep dark Raven fits the corps completely, but its not catching on yet. maybe too much narration. I had to chuckle as they pulled a door out (which is far from finished it seems) and a few guys behind me were joking not to go through the door--we know where that leads and pulling in some cadets door jokes--even as a cadet fan it was funny. maybe paint the plywood raiders??

after intermission (well before it was over) Surf was already entertaining the crowd. Glad I was back early because felt like we were out at a club! fun groove machine show that the crowd once again really dug. to me felt like step up from last year as it was more than just fun--it was performed well...however crowd wasnt happy they got 5th but really---who did they think they beat??? they were not top 12 nor do i think they expect to be---goal desired entertain the crap out of the crowd---goal achieved...

Bluecoats lit the place up searching for america. I think the guard got ripped off a bit as they were very strong--were they 3rd yes but by that much? I dont think so. The show is clean, fun, all american summer time feel. I dont get all of the story with the girl and the red balloon but I am sure I will at some point. New unis look great and i was skeptical. the use of the bleachers adds a nice effect even though the annoying guys behind me at first were making fun of it. there will be some cool moments of the year from them--i especially enjoy the parade splitting up and two groups forming playing different marching pieces. This show, like Madison, is a different kind of patriotic without being cheesy patriotism so i really enjoyed it! I had them in solid second.

Cadets--HOLY WOW--I have seen them early season so many times--i dont ever recall them being so clean so early or feeling like a very full production so early. The annoying guys said they were finals ready--now is that true? of course not but #### it didnt feel far off that. I am a cadets fan USUALLY but anyone who follows me knows i have had my questionable years and I assumed this would be one for me because shoot me I am not a Barber fan--BUT they do it SO WELL, it was hard not to be impressed--percussion and brass--off the charts. it like most Barber shows is NOT emotional so the crowd didnt seem to think it should win--see surf post--however there was no doubt in my mind it was about to win...to well done to impressive not to. expect some fast moving visual in for the end. the annoying guys didnt like the quiet ending and the crowd was slow to react even though they were bursting in wild crazy loud moments...just like most shows where it filled with novice level fans, they dont like quiet endings period...its made for finals and i think it could be hard to beat--top 3 will be CLOSE!

Phantom i was pumped so pre-season in the park video and was blown away and then saw it and it was a bit flat--was it bad, god no I dont know that i could see a phantom show and ever think that but was it truly beating bluecoats? I dont think so. it feels vulnerable unless they boost it up fast but thats typical phantom--i see them early season and they lack passion by finals i am crying...weakness is music--strength is visual--guard was awesome...so i wonder once full slate of judges where it will be. the show doesnt really say anything yet other than we like birch trees...so I am looking for them to take it further.

Boston--i am a Boston fan. HOWEVER when i watch a show and my main thought is, Crusaders have the best looking boys in guard, its not really a good thing. I should be so thrown down by their show that thats an after thought -- this years show is not Boston as we know it. If I wasnt told it was them i really would have thought it was not a top 12 corps. Uniforms are cool concept and the throw back Kennedy thing but eh. Guard unis are down right odd and i kept trying to figure out of it was real jeans they were wearing or those odd pajama jean things. percussion--was pretty solid but overall its one of their weakest shows in years and the theme is certainly not yet there. I HOPE they pull out of it and I HOPE they make finals but at this point, I am not holding my breathe!

After they had a drum off which i was excited about but between Surf and Crusaders! Give Cadets vs BLOOOO! anyhow it was fun--while there was no winner--the ironic thing was Surf won LOL more entertaining, more energetic, got crowd going did a little throw down. Boston looked unprepared -- had no visual appeal without cymbals and just seemed to do a street beat. The heavily favored home crowd even seemed let down. little too tempered for a drum off LOL

rankings I was all in with placements other than I still feel Bluecoats beat Phantom even if close. everything else was legit and trust me I dont mind saying when I disagree with a judge or 8.

what was supposed to be a night filled with lighting was a perfect drum corps night all around. All corps (minus Boston) impressed me with the level they were at for early season compared to past years. I wasnt going to go to Lynn Friday and now I dont think I can stay away!!!

Nice review! Excellent thoughts and I enjoyed reading it.

Great review. Thanks for taking the time.

Good review. Your thoughts were very much in sync with what I saw. Again... still perplexed by the phantom - coats point spread... if not even perplexed by the placement altogether. Was beginning to think I was the only one.

Good review. Your thoughts were very much in sync with what I saw. Again... still perplexed by the phantom - coats point spread... if not even perplexed by the placement altogether. Was beginning to think I was the only one.

when my family asked me (they dont go to a lot of shows) who I saw where--i did pick Bluecoats over Phantom-tho close. However i told them before scores it probably would go the other way! I know I am still picking them over phantom so far come finals!