The Color Guard Thread

Best Color Guard of 2013  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win best color guard this year?

• Blue Devils
    • Carolina Crown
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Cadets
    • Bluecoats
    • Blue Knights
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Cavaliers
    • Magic of Orlando
    • Madison Scouts
    • Crossmen
    • Pacific Crest
    • Troopers
    • Spirit of Atlanta
    • The Academy
    • Blue Stars
    • Seattle Cascades
    • Colts
    • Jersey Surf
    • Mandarins
    • Oregon Crusaders
    • Pioneer

Yes I am a young person, and perhaps I am newer to the activity, but I would like to know, where should I go if I ever choose to become a judge? Is there a special certification I would receive? I mean, one not created by either the DCI or WGI entities. What exactly legitimizes someone as a "Color Guard Judge"? Can I receive a degree in color guard from a University? Oh, so you're telling me anyone can be a color guard judge? It's all about who you know? Some are just judges based off of the fact that they've been in the activity so long that everyone else has either gone on with their lives and pursued something else or died?

A color guard judge is really only someone giving their opinion, period. My opinion is just as good as anyone else's sitting in the stands, the only difference with a judge is they happen to have a clipboard to keep score.

While I'm sorry your ego was hurt by my post, I will watch these ancient relics and keep them in mind during my design process. ;)

Those "ancient relics" are some of the color guard activities most outstanding programs. Groups these days all the day the stuff and none of it is anywhere near as inventive as things from the 1980s and 1990s. So, young person, bite your tongue and learn where this activity you seem to love so much came from so you can speak with more accuracy.

• Like 3

Those "ancient relics" are some of the color guard activities most outstanding programs. Groups these days all the day the stuff and none of it is anywhere near as inventive as things from the 1980s and 1990s. So, young person, bite your tongue and learn where this activity you seem to love so much came from so you can speak with more accuracy.

Lol! I love that the only thing you read from my post regarding judges and opinions was me referring to vintage color guards as relics...

First of all, I had said nothing negative about older guards, on the contrary I believe color guards from the 90s are most innovative of all. Secondly, who cares? Why would you tell someone to bite their tongue? What's with your sense of entitlement? Its my opinion on a forum about CURRENT color guards. Yes you were born a few years before me and I'm sure you spend a lot more time behind your keyboard than spinning a flag, but if you're going to antagonize those appreciating the development of new guard, start your own thread about how fantastic your glory days were. -at tape- thanks!

Edited by Guard lover
  • Like 2

Lol! I love that the only thing you read from my post regarding judges and opinions was me referring to vintage color guards as relics...

First of all, I had said nothing negative about older guards, on the contrary I believe color guards from the 90s are most innovative of all. Secondly, who cares? Why would you tell someone to bite their tongue? What's with your sense of entitlement? Its my opinion on a forum about CURRENT color guards. Yes you were born a few years before me and I'm sure you spend a lot more time behind your keyboard than spinning a flag, but if you're going to antagonize those appreciating the development of new guard, start your own thread about how fantastic your glory days were. -at tape- thanks!

You don't have to be a continual jerk about it.

Edited by chris ncsu
  • Like 6

So how about Crown winning guard yesterday, with BD in 3rd! Looks like we have a race!!! Congrats Vanguard on coming in 2nd.

I'll have to go watch the webcast - I have to admit -I'm surprised seeing BD in 3rd :blink:

Later,

Mike

• Like 8

Not by much, but SCV must be THAT good, they have an excellent staff. Braddock folks, Santa Clara folks and lovely Texans :)

Just watched DATR - Vanguard has an excellent guard this year. Probably their strongest in years. They were very droppy last night though - but at this point they are cleaner than they were at finals last year - and they are beautiful to watch! The ballad when only the guard is left on the field is really cool.

Later,

Mike

• Like 2

It's always a little more interesting when the presumed favorite gets a gut check.

• Like 1