2013 Maple City Sound

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the 2013 Maple City Sound DCA competition in beautiful Hornell, New York! It has been overcast for most of the day but the sun has broken through just in time for the first corps to perform tonight.

My name is Kevin Gamin, Managing News Editor of Drum Corps Planet, and I welcome you to this LIVE FROM THE STANDS coverage of tonight's competition, featuring:

The White Sabers

Windsor Regiment

The Bushwackers

Empire Statesmen

Atlanta CV

Mighty St. Joe's Alumni

Preston Scout House Alumni

It is going to be an action packed night of drum corps, especially for those of you who are following this thread AND watching DCI Minnesota on the DCI Fan Network. The first corps steps off in 15 minutes so stay tuned!

I should warn you that my Internet connection is not the best so you may not get the same level of updating that I've done in the past. If things appear to be loading too slow, I may bypass posting photos until after the show.

A Hornell HS grad just sang the Canadian and United States national anthems with the Scout House honor guard presenting the colors. White Sabers will be coming up soon.

First on the field in competition tonight are the White Sabers from Dansville, New York. Their 2013 program is entitled "Fanfare for a New World" and consists of:

Fanfare for a New Era by Stamp, Jack

Adagio-Allegro (from New World Symphony) by Dvorak, Antonin

Dance of the New World by Wilson, Dana

Scherzo (from New World Symphony) by Dvorak, Antonin

Overture/New World by Bjork

Largo from New World Symphony by Dvorak, Antonin

Allegro Con Fouco (from New World Symphony) by Dvorak, Antonin

The announcer just pronounced "Bjork" with a silent "B" and a hard "j". Kind of like what some of her music sounds like...

I am at field level so I won't be able to give you section counts. In fact, expect my commentary to be very music oriented.

The corps starts backfield, opening with the final movement of Dvorak's New World Symphony, building to a turn front and the first hit of the night for the show.

Strong sound from the horns, very tight on the intro. A little ragged on the New World melody to start, but they clean it up the second play through.

I'm getting a lot of trumpets to start the show since they've been right up front for most of the performance up to this point.

Backfield again, playing the 2nd movement of Dvorak 9.