How is noone talking about the flugel solo in BD's ballad?

If doing what the pros do was necessary or sufficient to create good drum corps, no one would be marching.

The Blue Devils never do only "necessary or sufficient". Fifteen world championships were won by exceeding the standard, not meeting it. The same goes for the other top-level corps.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 3

The Blue Devils never do only "necessary or sufficient". Fifteen world championships were won by exceeding the standard, not meeting it. The same goes for the other top-level corps.

So you are saying that the secret to BD winning 15 times is because they use microphones?

Edited by Pat61
  • Like 1

Yea, because the reason for the microphone couldn't possibly be to allow for playing at a more musical dynamic level and for signal processing. You know, like professionals use.

Professionals use auto-tune and drum machines, too, and I also don't want to hear those on the field. Drum corps is about the performances of the members in a football stadium. Every professionally designed layer we put between the members and the audience takes away from the magic of the activity.

If doing what the pros do was necessary or sufficient to create good drum corps, no one would be marching.

He is talking about microphones.

He makes a remark that BD never ONLY do the "necessary or sufficient," but they "exceed the standard." Implying that microphones exceed it.

So you are saying that the secret to BD winning 15 times is because they use microphones?

Then we have my post pointing out that implication.

It doesn't matter how good the solo is. BD will never, ever, ever get credit for it. At least not in these pages.

Put the same show with Carolina Crown and it would get hailed as drum corps genius. BD just draws hate from all angles because they do it better than anybody else.

Man, ain't that the truth! It always cracks me up. People saying the show is garbage and whatnot, but if it was Blue Knights or Madison playing it they would be hailing it as the greatest show of all time! Of course they will come here and reply to this with "That isn't true! I would hate it no matter who performed it!" which we all know is bull. Hell, crown is spouting complete nonsense over their entire ballad and somehow the Crown honks who always complained about voice over in BD 2005 or The Cadets shows are trying to say it is all of a sudden awesome. What a bunch of hypocrites.

Edited by ApathyJones
  • Like 6

Everyone's too busy talking about how BD's show design is supposedly like the worst thing to happen to drum corps to notice their talent. Their soloists are awesome!

BD has such an amazing show design. That music is So amazing. Visually it's not my favorite... I also feel I understand the need for micing the soloists, great effect. That being said, I know your not knocking BD but I'm part of "everyone" so I had to quote you. Anyhow, yes that flugel is rocking it! Other noteworthy solo:

SCV Mello in the ballad (and JDs - or whoever instructed him - breathing spots.) Carries the phrase perfectly in conjunction with the pit masking any drop in fluidity.

• Like 3

Man, ain't that the truth! It always cracks me up. People saying the show is garbage and whatnot, but if it was Blue Knights or Madison playing it they would be hailing it as the greatest show of all time! Of course they will come here and reply to this with "That isn't true! I would hate it no matter who performed it!" which we all know is bull. Hell, crown is spouting complete nonsense over their entire ballad and somehow the Crown honks who always complained about voice over in BD 2005 or The Cadets shows are trying to say it is all of a sudden awesome. What a bunch of hypocrites.

Like I said in my prior post, BD design is amazing. I'm also probably one of the few who think BD deserved that gold last year, and that they're just as good as crown this year. In any case, the narration in Crowns show is not comparable to BD 2005 or The Cadets shows (unless you mean by the literal sense that there is narration) based solely off the fact that it's integrated perrrrrrrfectly. And it's directly from source material to enhance the shows theme without detracting from the music.

I'm assuming you're referring to the ballad, but the way he talks and what he says grows with intensity along with the music. He gets out of the way at key moments to let the music take over, and comes back in when necessary. Effectively complimenting the music (and likewise the music to his narration). You're welcome to not like it, but not accepting its difference from the previously mentioned corps qualifies you as being as hypocritical as the people you accuse of being hypocrites in your quoted post.

And remember, I love BD this year. But don't be a BD honk to justify calling others crown honks.

• Like 2

So this guy isn't deserving of your respect either? cool.gif

thumbs_miles%20davis%20mute%20microphone%20light.jpg

<3