Jersey Surf...

I'm not going to get into a whole big thing about showstyles and the 21st Century and electronics and a woodwind midi instrument (which I hate by the way) or any big concepts.

I just wanted to say that I saw Surf last night and enjoyed the hell out of it. They are fun, and they work awfully hard at entertaining, and I'm glad that they perpetuate that part of our activity.

I don't think they're being penalized by the judging community - they've made a choice that doing what they're doing is more important than scores and placement, and I salute the marching members for living those values.

I could feel a little twinge in my now vestigial "Bridgemen Gland" - wasn't tears or anything like it, just a sense that in this wicked serious world of Major League Drum Corps, where if you don't appreciate a giant blue ball on a stage or if you can't figure out what the little white balloons mean or why is the little red balloon different, or why someone who throws a rifle should be named "The Piano Man" (I guess you can't call your show Rifleman, as only Chuck Connors fans would remember what it was)it's nice to hear soul and funk hits you know and can tap your feet to, and it's nice that there are players in the world who are willing to dedicate themselves to entertaining for the sake of entertaining.

I hope that Surf thrives and sustains, and even continues to improve and work their way up the oh so serious ranks of Major League Marching Arts.

When my son was 12 he liked Velvet Knights the most out of DCI, even though they were 12th or so. Didn't stop him from aging out with Blue Devils, but at 12 he dug VK.

Last night his 12 year old trombone playing son came with me to the show in North Dallas. He enjoyed the whole thing, and expressed the hope that drum corps would someday use trombones (I don't think he has accepted that he could play baritone).

Who did he like the most? Jersey Surf...

Thanks Bobby Jacobs and team for keeping that spectrum of our activity alive. It's just so easy to become sooo serious.

• Like 5

I agree that they are entertaining, they've very much continued in last seasons vein.

Not sure that they're being penalised, I think they're placing about right just now.

This commentary reminds me of a DCI vignette of the late 80s or early 90s, regarding VK. Nice job, Ray, commending the crowd-pleasing corps!

Hey, you know my background (besides BAC). I spent some serious time trying to make sure that Bayonne was entertaining AND competitive.

I love the entertainment factor.

BTW, I think our BAC corps have always been entertaining too - just harder to tap your toes to Rimsky-Korsakov!

Tomorrow Surf will be using my hometowns high school... Benjamin Russell in Alexander City Alabama. The practice facility is in front of the high school on the Main Street through town. They will get a lot of attention. They will be exposed and not hidden on a field or parking lot behind the school.