Based on all the flip flopping this year

SCV in '74 was 3rd in prelims and (IIRC) chose not to go on last as defending champion, preferring their 3rd place spot behind Anaheim and Madison...

I think it's more likely we'll see a tie this year than 2+ placements swaps (meaning, for example, 3rd/4th as well as 9th/10th).

Edited by loopin' froot loops
  • Like 1

--> regarding Phantom Regiment winning in 1996 (tie with BD)

And it wasn't just that they moved up in placement, but they overcame some pretty significant deficits.

Down by 0.9 to Cavies in prelims, along with 2.6 to Cadets and 3.7 to BD

Down by 1.1 to Cadets in semis, along with 1.4 to BD - huge drop in score by BD from prelims to semis

The internet didn't exist for me back then, but I assume the RAMD chatter centered on Cadets having a shot at the title, being only 0.3 behind BD. I can only imagine how hyped Cadets were going into finals.

This example above might be the most extreme in the DCI era. The Anaheim Kingsmen did win the DCI Title in 1972 after finishing 3rd in prelims (as someone already mentioned), but the above quoted example was a rarity. There were a lot of interesting circumstances that year.

From the beginning of the season it was apparent that BD and Cadets were fabulous. Both great shows, and the Cadets were sporting one of the best all-time guards that I have seen. But the Cadets had to perform at the Atlanta summer Olympics, and they had to work up some fairly significant material...even some new drill that they did with comedian Bill Irwin. They had to perform all this on a line-less field (and you could tell if you have seen the YouTube video).

When they arrived for Finals in Orlando they looked good on Thursday and Friday, but especially Friday when they were just .3 back of BD. They had the show to win, as did BD. It was all a matter of performance.

Phantom Regiment came in running in 4th, but to many their show had been underscored and anyone who saw them early season would have told you that they had a BIG BOY brass line and a smokin percussion section (They did win brass at Finals). Their performance at quarters and semis was stellar. It's not like their performance at Finals was that much better. In fact, they had a trumpet player fall on Finals night.

...but it all came down to a few things...

1. The Cadets had a rough run on Finals night. Huge tear in Red Pony just before the percussion break, and the horns never recovered.

2. BD did not lay down a BD-like performance at Finals. It was good, but flat.

3. The judging panel that was in place for that night realized (rightfully so) how clean Phantom was, and they scored it the way it played out. They didn't assume PR belonged in 4th.

I give a lot of credit to that judging panel for calling it the way they did, but they got it right.

• Like 2

Does anyone think we see a flip flop from semi's to finals? Also, does anyone know the furtherest back a corps has come to win from semi's to finals?

At first I thought the title of this thread was about all the body movement this year. :tongue:

• Like 1