I don't understand Crown's show.

... I just wish I "got it".

Anyone care to explain?

Do you get this?

especially starting at 4:00.

They are telling an "old, old story" of two lovers. On top of that are references to Einstein. For example, "Bern, 1905". That was the place and time where Albert Einstein the physicist published five papers that changed the world and our understanding of it. At the end of the show the guy travels through a wormhole (the bass drums) to get to his love. Wormholes (time & space travel) are predicted by Einstein's equations. There are other threads that discuss all of these little references.

That was over a hundred years ago. Since then do we fully understand all of the implications of Einstein's work? No. Do we fully understand love and the lengths it makes people go to in order to find it? No.

Think "Limits" and it all makes sense. The science is limited - speed of light, etc. - the love isn't limited (as is said in the ballad and closing). The love is how he can use the black hole at the end etc.

Thats a rough cut of it. But the idea isn't to think "Science" its to think "Limits" and E=MC^2 is the equation that perplexes scientists in that Light can't be surpassed - we don't think.... Theories.

Well about to head out to a Finals Party! (I'm late lol)

Think "Limits" and it all makes sense. The science is limited - speed of light, etc. - the love isn't limited (as is said in the ballad and closing). The love is how he can use the black hole at the end etc.

Thats a rough cut of it. But the idea isn't to think "Science" its to think "Limits" and E=MC^2 is the equation that perplexes scientists in that Light can't be surpassed - we don't think.... Theories.

In other words, BD is the Speed of Light and Crown is doing its damnedest to figure out how to break that speed limit. :w00t:

• Like 1

All of the above with the additional backstory that the "E equals MC squared" title somewhat obscures the fact that Crown's musical book other than Also Sprach Zarathustra at the beginning and end is taken from the [five-hour! audience members are encouraged to come and go as they please and not wait for intermissions to go out and pee and fortify themselves with fine wines] opera Einstein on the Beach by Philip Glass. Notice all the atomic energy and mathematical representations in the drill. One central theme of the opera may be argued to be that our scientific understanding and technology advance relentlessly but love still triumphs over all. This is the basis for the [personal opinion here: distracting and cheesy] narration during the ballad which is taken from the libretto to the opera. With that in mind, I found the ballad and new ending do make sense. Until that was pointed to me, I didn't get it either.

I do agree that art generally and in drum corps show design specifically can't stand still without withering on the vine, but if it's true as someone suggested here that SCV was told by a DCI judge that they can't win with a literal Broadway show that has mass audience appeal suggesting that beard-stroking, esoteric show themes like we have seen at the top over the last four years are needed to carry the day, it's not hard to understand why DCI has trouble gaining traction with a broader audience. The judges are not in synch with what many ticket buyers want to see. I like the top three year, but with some reservations including Crown's narration.

I generally don't even think about what shows "mean". If I get a message from it, fine. If not, fine. I just want to enjoy the music and visuals. And Crown, among many others, is doing a great job of that this year! :thumbup:/>

I'm with you! Generally too wrapped-up in *how* they're doing it to pull my head out...but after a couple/few viewings I'll test the communication waters...my history is of the VK variety, with smatterings of others, of course, but it's always been "...don't send me to school, don't try to *teach* me anything!" If you can get your message across without educating me, I'm yours. You should not have to "work" to be entertained. AFA Crown, their horsey show is still #1 with me...

I'm not being a "troll" or trying to stir anything up, but I'm sitting here on the day of finals with CC potentially winning, and I just don't understand the show.

I think they play great and move great and I love what they do. I just wish I "got it".

Anyone care to explain?

Why does it matter? Why can't folks just listen to the music and enjoy? Why do you have to 'understand it'? And why the hell do corps feel the need to create a narrative or theme or story and expect fans to decipher some hidden esoteric meaning?

• Like 1