What is required to be a World Class Drum Major?

Here's the thing: being a DCI drum major is maybe 10% about your conducting and about 90% about your leadership ability. That's why many (most?) top corps only pick DMs from within, and usually from members with several years of marching experience.

Back in Ye Old Dark Ages when I marched, there were a handful of corps that recruited from outside (Cadets and PR were two that come to mind), but I have no idea if they still do.

That's not really true. Many corps treat the drum major as just another position in the corps and will gladly recruit fresh folks. It just depends on the corps. Blue Devils are a prime example of a corps that have had drum majors that didn't come from within the corps, particularly woodwind players.

That's not really true. Many corps treat the drum major as just another position in the corps and will gladly recruit fresh folks. It just depends on the corps. Blue Devils are a prime example of a corps that have had drum majors that didn't come from within the corps, particularly woodwind players.

That's for certain. I met a person who ended up being DM for the Racine Scouts last year despite having no prior marching member experience with the corps.

Inquiring from the corps directly will get you the best answer about what they do for each of their positions, and even if you're deadset against being a "true" marching member, many corps have non-DM conductors for backfield or even just for rehearsal purposes that they'll gladly let you along if you pay the tour fees. In fact, I'd imagine that's a great way to get experience if you plan to get ahead straight to the podium as soon as possible, especially since you get to experience tour along with it.

• 3 weeks later...

That's for certain. I met a person who ended up being DM for the Racine Scouts last year despite having no prior marching member experience with the corps.

And he was the best drum major on the planet!

... I really want to end up at Blue Devils, Cadets or Bluecoats. But just want some experience.

Any corps that suspects you wish to use them "just [for] some experience] is going to be quite unlikely to want to take you on. It just doesn't look good when someone as important to the psychological make-up of an organization (as a drum major) decides to jump ship to go to a more prestigious corps. (And yes, it has happened.) No management wants to suspect that the person to whom they're handing the keys of leadership is there just to take a test drive of a Kia before they sign a lease on a Lexus.

Also, knowing a little bit about how the managements of the corps you mentioned think and work, even though they take a number of members that come from other corps, they generally want members who are there because they love what each corps stands for. George Hopkins did an interview in the mid-1980s where he stated he didn't want someone on board who was there because they wanted to medal or win. That's why a couple seasons ago they took on someone who had never played tuba (or any other brass) before, but dreamed of being in the horn line, showed up at rehearsals, and worked his buns off to prove himself. They recognized in him what they wanted to see in all their members...someone who exemplified what it meant to be a Cadet.

I hope that if you end up in a corps, (and I hope that you do), that you come to realize the intangible things that only come with being a member of an organization, which includes loyalty, love of and dedication to the organization. It would turn you from a good person to a great person. (Not to infer you're not already a great person.)

Good luck and make some corps grateful to have you as a member!

• Like 1

Become a member of a hornline. I can't think of any drum majors that have come out of any other section, except for Tinkerbell in Crown's 2009 show. Not really sure why, it just also seems to be hornline folks who end up on the podium. Although I'm sure BITD people came from other sections.

• Like 1

Any corps that suspects you wish to use them "just [for] some experience] is going to be quite unlikely to want to take you on. It just doesn't look good when someone as important to the psychological make-up of an organization (as a drum major) decides to jump ship to go to a more prestigious corps. (And yes, it has happened.) No management wants to suspect that the person to whom they're handing the keys of leadership is there just to take a test drive of a Kia before they sign a lease on a Lexus.

Also, knowing a little bit about how the managements of the corps you mentioned think and work, even though they take a number of members that come from other corps, they generally want members who are there because they love what each corps stands for. George Hopkins did an interview in the mid-1980s where he stated he didn't want someone on board who was there because they wanted to medal or win. That's why a couple seasons ago they took on someone who had never played tuba (or any other brass) before, but dreamed of being in the horn line, showed up at rehearsals, and worked his buns off to prove himself. They recognized in him what they wanted to see in all their members...someone who exemplified what it meant to be a Cadet.

I hope that if you end up in a corps, (and I hope that you do), that you come to realize the intangible things that only come with being a member of an organization, which includes loyalty, love of and dedication to the organization. It would turn you from a good person to a great person. (Not to infer you're not already a great person.)

Good luck and make some corps grateful to have you as a member!

I realize how bad that came off. I am not sure if I can backtrack but I do want to say that the reasons I love the Blue Devils isn't because of there 15 victories, it is because of what they field. The reason I love The Bluecoats is because I think they have an awesome corp identity.

I just picked the wrong instrument. I so wish I could pick up a mellophone and prepare myself for a Blue Devils' spot and then maybe through leadership become a drum major. But, I am way behind the learning curve.

Although this thread is about being a drum major, that is not what I would in theory want to be in a corp. I just want to be a part of a corp and some how figured that being a backfield or end zone conductor could be something that may have been a possibility.

I am sorry my post was offensive. It in way was suppose to embody a demeaning attitude.

I learned a lot from this thread. Thanks!

I realize how bad that came off. I am not sure if I can backtrack but I do want to say that the reasons I love the Blue Devils isn't because of there 15 victories, it is because of what they field. The reason I love The Bluecoats is because I think they have an awesome corp identity.

I just picked the wrong instrument. I so wish I could pick up a mellophone and prepare myself for a Blue Devils' spot and then maybe through leadership become a drum major. But, I am way behind the learning curve.

Although this thread is about being a drum major, that is not what I would in theory want to be in a corp. I just want to be a part of a corp and some how figured that being a backfield or end zone conductor could be something that may have been a possibility.

I am sorry my post was offensive. It in way was suppose to embody a demeaning attitude.

Loads of corps hold open auditions for DM. If you want to be DM for BD or anyone else, go audition. Be proactive, take initiative, write the corps you are interested and ask about auditions.

Most BD drum majors weren't in the corps before they were DM (only about 1/3 were ever in the corps before being DM). Quite a lot of them are woodwind players. One of the current DM's is a bassoonist and was not in the corps before last year... and came all the way from Florida.

I played bassoon and was DM at BD. Guys that were DM with me... one played sax, the other played clarinet and none of us were in the corps before.

If you have yourself set on this, go for it. Take the chance... if you're young, you actually could have a better chance than being older, since BD often takes a chance on the right kid that could be in that role for a long time... starting them out as assistant. There have been guys that were DM at BD at 16 or 17.

I realize how bad that came off. I am not sure if I can backtrack but I do want to say that the reasons I love the Blue Devils isn't because of their 15 victories, it is because of what they field. The reason I love the Bluecoats is because I think they have an awesome corps identity.

Hey...one can always backtrack and clarify. It's part of how we grow and learn. Everyone has favorites they can imagine themselves with. You've picked some quite excellent organizations to be your favorites.

You didn't pick a "wrong" instrument. You just didn't know at the time how much you would fall in love with drum corps. Yes, you are behind the learning curve. And at one point, you had no idea how to play the instrument on which you are currently proficient. One thing to consider is now you have more knowledge of the basics of music and performance than you had when you were a beginner, and that will make learning a new instrument easier than it was to learn your first instrument.

Although this thread is about being a drum major, that is not what I would in theory want to be in a corps. I just want to be a part of a corps and somehow figured that being a backfield or end zone conductor could be something that may have been a possibility.

And it very well might be. Contact some corps, stay in touch, and keep reminding them of your interest. They can't forget about you if you make yourself memorable.

It wasn't offensive...It was based on not knowing as much as you do now. And that's just over a few hours. Imagine how much more you can learn over a longer period of time if, likewise, you pick up a brass instrument and start learning how to play it.

We all learn from each other. Now go forth and achieve great things!

From two sites audition info I happened to look at early this morning:

Boston Crusaders "Drum Majors are chosen from within the organization, returning members can audition at the end of their first season. You CAN, however, audition for a conductor spot, which is a non-­leadership, performing musician position."

Phantom Regiment "Conductor auditions are open to everyone, regardless of whether or not the person has previously marched in the Phantom Regiment. The November camp is the only audition camp for conductors."

You really need to directly contact the corps you are interested in auditioning for. You might get some good tips from DCP or FaceBook, but you will also get misinformation. Almost every corps will give someone with talent and drive a chance. Don't count out Open Class corps or lower placing corps either, I can't think of one corps staff that lacks several talented instructors that can get you to the next level.

Edited by jonnyboy

I'll also add that BD is a great choice if you're a good conductor with leadership skills and have never marched.

If you really want to give yourself an edge, Pete is usually partial to people who live in the area with a pickup truck :)

Edited by newterak