Would a Christian drum corps be accepted?

It won't be competitive or innovative. It would be absolutely impossible to attract top creative talent, not to mention mediocre. There is zero possibility you will get talent of a level to put out even a decent open class corps if religiously based.

It has been done before, with exactly the same rationale as you are presenting, but reality is that if a kid is talented and religious, 9 times out of 10 he'll choose the opportunity to perform with other talented kids rather than simply other religious kids.

Also, religion is a very personal and very private thing that has no place in a football stadium (or even a church in my opinion).

Wow, D-Ray, I almost was going to have an "I Completely Agree with D-Ray" moment; I said 'almost'. I agree with you that high caliber Christin musicians will engage in the world of the secular in the name of musical growth (see Vinnie Colaiuta as an example); and while I also agree that the spiritual is a personal issue, I vehemently disagree that the presentation of that spirituality has to be confined away from all public discourse. We have, and should have, freedom 'of' religion not freedom 'from' religion. If someone desires to make public commentary on self-improvement, on career-motivation, or any other self-motivation materials on public stages or open public fields this also means that any and all people who want to make public commentary on self-spiritual matters should be allowed that same freedom.

Edited by Stu

right now, I'd settle for Blue Devils playing " The Devil went Down to Georgia " or some such. I don't really need to have the Blue Devils try to musically and visually recreate for us the " History of Christianity " in 11 minutes. I'll skip that Sermon, thank you very much.

The idea was to have Christians then have to see the actual side history of their religion. You know, the parts they so easily forget/suppress/ignore.

The idea was to have Christians then have to see the actual side history of their religion. You know, the parts they so easily forget/suppress/ignore.

I don't know who " they " are, and I don't know what people in Religion, or Science, or neither " easily forget/ suppress/ ignore ". I've encountered too many people in my world travels that don't seem to know very much about history to begin with,...secular, or religious. They can't be expected to remember what they never were taught in the first place, we should perhaps keep in mind as well.

Edited by BRASSO

I don't know who " they " are, and I don't know what people in Religion, or Science, or neither " easily forget/ suppress/ ignore ". I've encountered too many people in my world travels that don't seem to know very much about history to begin with,...secular, or religious. They can't be expected to remember what they never were taught in the first place, we should perhaps keep in mind as well.

Then why did the Blue Devils attempt to 'educate' and 'engage' us by presenting a show in which only those who were historically astute on the finer aspects of the Dada movement presented at the Cabaret Voltaire could grasp?

Then why did the Blue Devils attempt to 'educate' and 'engage' us by presenting a show in which only those who were historically astute on the finer aspects of the Dada movement presented at the Cabaret Voltaire could grasp?

Art history is taught in most high schools and DaDa is discussed in the context of many modern history classes. This isn't something crazy obscure, but something you'd be aware of if you paid attention in school.

There is also a phenomenon today where youth have a much broader set of knowledge due to link surfing things like Wikipedia or YouTube.

Anyway, as far as obscure and high-minded things go, DaDa is something that pretty much every high school graduate should be aware of.

Art history is taught in most high schools and DaDa is discussed in the context of many modern history classes. This isn't something crazy obscure, but something you'd be aware of if you paid attention in school.

There is also a phenomenon today where youth have a much broader set of knowledge due to link surfing things like Wikipedia or YouTube.

Anyway, as far as obscure and high-minded things go, DaDa is something that pretty much every high school graduate should be aware of.

Not according to Brasso (in which my question was directed). According to him he stated, "I've encountered too many people in my world travels that don't seem to know very much about history to begin with,...secular, or religious. They can't be expected to remember what they never were taught in the first place, we should perhaps keep in mind as well."

Interesting idea. I would imaging that if it was done well it would be accepted and well received. The church I attend would most likely produce a corps along the lines of Velvet Knights or Bridgemen, albeit with more of an edge. In fact, thinking of the type of weekly church services we normally put on the drum corps idiom may be too boring of a platform to be an effective medium for spreading the word in the manner we like to do.

For those that think a Christian based drum corps would follow a typical Christian stereotype think again. With the vast array of Christian churches that range from ultra conservative to ultra modern you might wind up with a wider range of programming than the current corps' tend to exhibit.

-kg

I disagree. I like the Madison Scouts ( and The Cavaliers ) too much to have to lose their membership in DCI because of such a mandatory requirement that you are demanding here.

"I know that restaurant only serves white people, but their food is really good."

• Like 1