Post-Tour Depression

For the younger/single people on here, does anyone else just feel that after marching drum corps, the only person you could ever see yourself dating is someone who has marched? It sounds a little dumb that I would feel so selective, but at the same time I feel like I wouldn't want anyone who doesn't understand something that is one of the things that has made the largest impact on my life.

I work in a completely different field, though right now I am taking vacation time to teach marching band. DCI was fun and I learned a lot, but it doesn't define me as a person. I have other professional accomplishments that are more important to me than my time in drum corps. That said, there's obviously no need to marry someone in the same professional field either.

I was pretty bummed out on the flight home. Once I was back at UNT I hung out with a girl from home that I'd kept up with that summer. (We eventually started dating.) Then I was less bummed.

1376428733[/url]' post='3311557']

Bump.... am I the only one like this?

For me, being with someone who knows nothing about DCI was a way to introduce a new fan! Which I have successfully done! Gotta grow the fan base ya know.

For the younger/single people on here, does anyone else just feel that after marching drum corps, the only person you could ever see yourself dating is someone who has marched? It sounds a little dumb that I would feel so selective, but at the same time I feel like I wouldn't want anyone who doesn't understand something that is one of the things that has made the largest impact on my life.

My girlfriend never marched, she was in marching band in high school and knew a little about corps but not really. It has been fun bringing her into the activity this past year, because she appreciates it and can understand what's going on. I agree with a prior response, it brings in new fans, which is always great.

No way would I be able to date someone that had no musical background though, that would probably be impossible.

I marched 16 years in "junior corps" (DCI). The summer after my age out, I took an overload at engineering school (21 credit hours). Between that and work, I didn't have time to get depressed or think about drum corps. It also helped that there wasn't Internet yet! 😃