The Spiritual Heir to Suncoast Sound

Suncoast Sound was a uniquely powerful presence on the DCI Field, creating revolutionary programs that continue to be emulated to this day. Marching in the last decade under the instruction of Frank Williams and performing a book composed by Robert W. Smith, I always felt there was a special connection between my drum corps experience and the ghost of this great corps.

Tampa Bay, and Central Florida, have been without a Division I/World Class corps presence for many moons now. I would say one could make a case for MAgic of Orlando being a direct descendant of Suncoast. In many ways, the Glassmen also carried their legacy, employing a nearly identical instructional and design staff in the mid-2000s in addition to holding audition camps in Central Florida. The Boston Crusaders broke into DCI finals under the direction of a crew of Suncoast Sound alums.

Have the Crusaders co-opted the Suncoast dynasty? Has there ever been a true heir to this corps? Why was their entry into Div II/III ultimately unsuccessful? Will there ever be an organization that lives up to the greatness of Suncoast Sound? Why did we have to lose this great corps? Why do we continue to lose so many great corps?

To me, this bears a strange resemblance to the "Aprile curse" of The Sopranos...

Why do we continue to lose so many great corps?

Because most corps are administrated by performance minded people and not business minded. And as long as you have corps administrators who are willing to end the season in the red in the name of performance, as opposed to being willing to end the season outside the top 12 and in the black, you will have corps fold.

• Like 2

Something is not quite right in the Sunshine State. For a state this large in population not to field one World Class Drum Corps is unacceptable!

Don't know why Tampa Bay Thunder and Sun Devils haven't been able to get together and form one big Corps.

(BTW, I'm way up in NW Florida, [Pensacola] which is physically located within the state of Florida, but it's really more like a southeastern extension of Alabama with a nice beach)

Edited by LSU GRAD 82

Because most corps are administrated by performance minded people and not business minded. And as long as you have corps administrators who are willing to end the season in the red in the name of performance, as opposed to being willing to end the season outside the top 12 and in the black, you will have corps fold.

Do you know that this is true of this particular drum corps, or are you asserting dogmatically that if A (drum corps fails) then B ("performance minded" director who can't handle money)?

Edit: I reread your post and you were speaking generally about failed corps, not about this specific corps. Still, someone might interpret it the same way, so I'll leave it.

Edited by Pete Freedman

IMO, what make Suncoast unique was the sum of it's parts. while some similar elements may go with those designers elsewhere, it was the chemistry of them together that made them tick

• Like 1

Do you know that this is true of this particular drum corps, or are you asserting dogmatically that if A (drum corps fails) then B ("performance minded" director who can't handle money)?

of course he does, he's Stu

:tounge2:

of course he does, he's Stu

:tounge2:

Question for the both of ya: Which is a more reasonable conclusion; Were the (correction) Suncoast Admin… a) placing fiscal responsibility above performance aspects, … or b) placing performance aspects above fiscal responsibility?

Edited by Stu

Question for the both of ya: Which is a more reasonable conclusion; Were the Glassmen Admin… a) placing fiscal responsibility above performance aspects, … or b) placing performance aspects above fiscal responsibility?

I don't know, we're discussing Suncoast here