Chops - is it true?

not quick to believe everything posted on facebook... but a reliable source has just posted that Gary "Chops" Chapinski is gone... can someone in the know confirm this?

If so - that is a huge loss for the activity and my thoughts go out to his family and friends...

Unfortunately, it is true. Marie has confirmed it. I know nothing more at this point, but I'm stunned by the news. Chops was a unique person who gave so much to the activity and is responsible for so much to inspire the visual innovations of DCI's early years, after which he became a visual judge who could dig into a program, dissect it and help staffs put it back together to the benefit of their members.

wow.... just wow...

My sincerest condolences to Marie and the family...

Sad to say. True. I PM with Marie on FB.

Chops was instrumental in making the Santa Clara Vanguard was it is today along with Gail Royer, Fred Sanford, Pete Emmons, Don Angelica and many other legends. He took a middle of the road corps and made it into the Rolls Royce of Drum Corps in the early '70s. His influence on SCV along with the rest of Drum Corps was monumental. From coming up with designs that created the first Red Tunic SCV Uniform to embedding his flare into our shows, he was a true genius. SCV "Clowns" was always one of his favorites. I think it would be fitting to see all the corps at this year's DCI Finals play "Send in the Clowns" in honor of Chops. There would not be a dry eye in the place. RIP Chops!

There will be a celebration on January 11 from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. Further info on this will be announced once known. What I have been told is Chops did not want a funeral or memorial service, but rather, a party where all would get together to have a good time in remembering him.

Edited by Michael Boo

...From coming up with designs that created the first Red Tunic SCV Uniform to embedding his flare into our shows, he was a true genius...

I just interviewed Pete Emmons and specifically asked him to elaborate on that. Pete said the red tunic was already there before Chops came out. However, the amount of ideas Chops brought to the corps was extremely influential, and his input with Pete helped create some of the most amazing shows of DCI's early years...and slightly prior to DCI's creation.