Hearing Damage/Protection

I've been field testing these for an upcoming review on another site. I think I can safely say every musician exposed to loud music should own a pair. I've never experienced anything like these. The sound is totally normal until there's a spike from a sudden loud noise, and then the product instantly jumps to protect the ears.

http://www.etymotic.com/hp/mp915.html

I suffer from otoschlerosis I got from my father and have worn typical hearing aids, which suck, IMO, especially for listening to music. I also shoot sporting clays with a 12 ga shotgun and have worn active ear suppression to protect from that concussive noise. I also wear (and make the _kid wear) the regular Ety's.

What's interesting about these, Boo, is the fact that they don't just cut out, but instead gradually reduce pass-through incrementally during a crescendo. That's distinctly different from any other hearing protection I've used and make them much more suited to the music industry specifically (or any other activity where volumes increase incrementally).

I probably wouldn't use these for shooting sporting clays, but shooting protection doesn't work well for rehearsing music in a gym, either.

A little thing I tried with some products may help some folks...

First, I HATE the flange and for that matter, all silicone things in my ear. My jaw bone moves my ear canal, so the only thing that stays quiet in my ear is foam. No exception. Silicone sounds like rice krispies. I don't know why, just how it is.

So I had several of those $12 plugs from Ety that do a 20dB reduction (the high-fidelity ones). I also use Comply foam fittings for my IEMs. Here's a little trick:

Disassemble the Ety plugs so you get to the filter. Insert that filter piece into a 100-series Comply foam sleeve (like a ts-100). Just like that, you have 20dB foams with a solid filter that doesn't act like full foam.

The only part I don't like is the outer stem of the Ety filter is a bit sharp. Probably a good idea to cut it off.

I hope that helps. It's about a $20 pair, and they last a month or two with heavy usage, but if you like foam better it is the best option I've hacked together. HTH.

Found this on http://expecttohearbetter.com/hearing-damage-sound-chart.html. It also goes with the levels I had to monitor as unit safety officer for my various Army Band assignments.

Hearing Damage Risk Levels in Decibels:

• 85 dB: Beginning of OSHA regulations
  • 90 dB: Risk of Hearing Damage After 8 Hours of Sound Exposure
    • Lawn Mower
    • Truck Traffic
  • 95 dB: Risk of Hearing Damager After 4 Hours of Sound Exposure
    • Motorcycle
    • Power Saw
  • 100 dB: Risk of Hearing Damage After 2 Hours of Sound Exposure
    • Chainsaw
    • Stereo Headphones
  • 105 dB: Risk of Hearing Damage After 1 Hour of Sound Exposure