DCI Minnesota relocated to LaCrosse, WI

2.5 hrs isn't bad for a drive from Minneapolis. Break it up by a stop in Red Wing at Randy's Restaurant for lunch. The chicken there is awesome and have a few Spotted Cow beers in LaCrosse since they only sell it in Wisconsin.

From the Twin Cities to La Crosse the ride down Hwy 14/61 along the Missisippi River is beautiful and fantastic. It's worth the trip for that drive alone. The famous "driftless area" starts around Redwing-- where the glaciers split and went around the area during the last glaciation 10,000 years ago. Beautiful, hilly. 500-600 ft bluffs all along the river.

The stadium was redone and opened in 2009 with turf. Great for spectators with a beautiful view of the bluffs until the sun sets behind the stadium. Often with an alpenglow on the bluffs.

Come early. Spend the day along the river in Downtown La Crosse. Check out the spectacular view of three states from atop Grandad bluff. Summer is the best time of the year in La Crosse. I hope y'all can come!

---tom

Edited by TomVV
  • Like 1

From the Twin Cities to La Crosse the ride down Hwy 14/61 along the Missisippi River is beautiful and fantastic. It's worth the trip for that drive alone. The famous "driftless area" starts around Redwing-- where the glaciers split and went around the area during the last glaciation 10,000 years ago. Beautiful, hilly. 500-600 ft bluffs all along the river.

The stadium was redone and opened in 2009 with turf. Great for spectators with a beautiful view of the bluffs until the sun sets behind the stadium. Often with an alpenglow on the bluffs.

Come early. Spend the day along the river in Downtown La Crosse. Check out the spectacular view of three states from atop Grandad bluff. Summer is the best time of the year in La Crosse. I hope y'all can come!

---tom

And meet Tom you wont regret it! :)

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, do we know what the attendance was at DCI MN last year (or any of the three years, really). I'm searching for it now but haven't found info yet, would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

From what I recall, attendance numbers for the event have been steadily dropping year over year. (Which is why it's no longer a full-roster show)

Out of curiosity, do we know what the attendance was at DCI MN last year (or any of the three years, really). I'm searching for it now but haven't found info yet, would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

It was about 5,600 last year.

Man, I was actually considering going to the Minnesota show this year. Not sure about it now...

As for possible venue sites, there are certainly plenty of good high school venues in and around the Twin Cities. Park HS in Cottage Grove and Kuhlman Field in Edina are a couple that come to mind, and DCI's also had a couple of events at East Ridge HS in Woodbury recently, so those are possible options.

CottageGroveMNParkHS4500_zps9a211cf9.jpg

EdinaMNKuhlmanField2_zps52f4e5c2.jpg

WoodburyMNEastRidgeHS3000_zps9c15a475.jp

These stadiums seat less than half of La Crosse, and would not accomodate paid attendance from TCF. La Crosse has more seats than paid attendance at TCF, so is a better alternative.

These stadiums seat less than half of La Crosse, and would not accomodate paid attendance from TCF. La Crosse has more seats than paid attendance at TCF, so is a better alternative.

:ninja:

No argument here Tim - BUT since we aren't getting the full slate of 20+ corps, one of these places might work for the Friday show here in "the Cities". In essence, the Friday and Saturday shows flip-flopped (F*$%^ing Twinkies) - I hope our folks find a facility that won't be impacted by Friday rush hour traffic.. I have a couple of ideas in mind, but I just don't know how either of them would work logistically for the Metro folks trying to get there on a late Friday afternoon.

We will see !!! I might go to "the holy land" just for the drive.. :tounge2:

Pat

Tickets for DCI-La Crosse went on sale Monday Feb 17. It's going to be a great show, with 8 of last year's top 12, plus seven other corps. An added bonus is the performance by the Blue Stars Alumni 50th Anniversary corps. Tickets are going fast! See http://www.dci.org/schedule/details.cfm?event=269

---tom

(edit: great tickets still available! There aren't any bad seats here.)

Edited by TomVV