Fly on the wall in Arizona-we need some levity!

This is meant to be FUNNY. No disrespect was intended when writing this.

The "wording" concerning proposals was obtained from DCI.org The rest is just made up.

Fly on the wall report of the DCI Rules Congress Minutes

February 2014

The Madison Scouts introduced a proposal for a new judging caption, called Entertainment Effect. In a nutshell, 20 points of the current 40 GE points would be on the line for a corps ability to communicate entertainment value to the audience. In the specific wording in the purpose section, it was said that this new caption would give "more than lip service" to the relevance of audience reaction to a show design. A sigh was heard from somewhere around where Mr. Gibbs was sitting.

It was further stated that "having the audience invested in our product can only strengthen every facet of this activity" and that it would make "the activity more accessible to a larger mass-market audience" thereby increasing revenues and the "escalation of public awareness and overall growth for the activity."

Immediately after the proposal reading was completed, the room burst into spirited conversation and debate. Mr. Jacobs, from Jersey Surf, yelled YES! YES! YES! as he enthusiastically clapped his inflatable sticks together. As with most scoring change proposals, those who had placed in the lower positions recently seemed much more supportive than those who had recent competitive success. We have barely figured out how to win in this current system, and now you want to change it? was heard from someone in the group of Hopkins, Gibbs, and Coates. Seems pretty cool to us was heard from Fielder and Valenzuela as they high fived Jim Mason. Mr. Blenski from Pioneer asked how this would affect his corps, as the audience usually isn't even in their seats yet when they perform. After a couple hours of debate, it was decided to give it to Michael and a task force to study and present again in March, hopefully in a form that could be accepted by all, and more importantly to allow for behind the scenes posturing to continue.

Next up was another Madison proposal for approving the use of additional brass instruments. Sheesh, another one from you guys, what's up with that? asked Hopkins.

The first statement of the proposal was "By the word Bugle, as used herein is any traditionally-defined brass instrument pitched in any key; whereas sound is produced by the vibration of the player's lips in a tubular resonator." Someone in the back of the room had a plastic vuvuzela stadium horn they had brought for when they would later watch some Olympic snowboarding at the bar, and let out a loud honk. Mr. Acheson gave him a stern look. In the audience impact section of the proposal, it was said that "this is the next logical step to complete the brass palette to be included in our productions. It will inspire new color and excitement to the shows" It will inspire a 50 page thread of complaining on the internet by the dino whiners! said someone else. That's not a problem said Hopkins, they did the same thing with electronics and look how great that turned out! There was a sudden silence in the room, and he recanted, well maybe a bad example, but how about the change from valve rotor bugles, that was the same thing, and we showed em on that one! There was nodding agreement as the horn in the back of the room honked again. We're monitoring social media right now, said Acheson, as he pointed to the guy in the back of the room on his laptop. ($1 to Garfield). How's it lookin,? he asked. Well sir, there is the usual 10 or so on DCP eating each other alive, so we don't have to worry about them. There is a rumor of a petition starting on Facebook though, and that it could garner 5,000 supporters! Ah, not to worry, we can get to them and make them an offer they can't refuse! said someone. Maybe we can post a video link of something really out dated to remind people not to listen to the dino's, like 55 Madison or something said another. And we could tweet how G bugles are still legal, so start your own drum corps if that's what you want said another. By the time it went to vote, there were 7 or so directors having a whisper session in the corner about the last proposal, and after they confirmed that no scoring changes were at stake, they voted with a few sure what evers and we already do enough crazy crap with everything else, so this is nothing comments. Does anyone know how much marching bands would pay for a used trombone? asked someone.

Does anyone else have a proposal? it was asked . They all looked at Hopkins. Not anything I am allowed to ask for this year, he sheepishly grinned, and the meeting moved along.

This is meant to be FUNNY.

Levity in this situation is much welcomed. There's been too much sniping between fans who all love the activity.

(Edited a couple times since original posting because I caught myself being an idiot.)

Edited by Michael Boo

1. I NEVER sit at the back of the room. I always sit in the front row, nodding appreciatively, in order to garner the maximum kiss-a** points

2. I would NEVER address Dan A as "Sir". "Butthead" and "DumbA**" are common, but never "Sir"

3. Petition? What petition? I had nothing to do with any petition :ninja:

4. "An offer they can't refuse"? Now you're talking my language, but this is exactly why horses are not allowed on the field.

1. I NEVER sit at the back of the room. I always sit in the front row, nodding appreciatively, in order to garner the maximum kiss-a** points

2. I would NEVER address Dan A as "Sir". "Butthead" and "DumbA**" are common, but never "Sir"

3. Petition? What petition? I had nothing to do with any petition :ninja:

4. "An offer they can't refuse"? Now you're talking my language, but this is exactly why horses are not allowed on the field.

I was referring to your post asking if the guy in the DCI pic was on DCP :laugh:

This is meant to be FUNNY.

You had me at "vuvuzela"!

But, I love your reference to:

• the term, "dino whiners"
  • "the usual 10 or so on DCP eating each other alive"
  • regarding the "video link of something really out dated to remind people not to listen to the dino's, like 55 Madison" -(I thought the same thing when I saw this on dci.org... coincidence? hmmm.....)
Edited by drumcorpsfever