Mid 1960s Encyclopedia DC pic

Good idea Ray, and the Boss (not Springsteen) is doing better than anyone dared to hope for. Able to take care of herself and getting around on the walker if short distance and wheelchair if long. Home therapy even getting ready to cut her loose in a few weeks. Best she has been since a few months before it really hit the fan as she felt shaky for a while. Biggest loose end if changing neurologists as her local guy has few resources. Going back to the previous place and think they might be able to answer her questions....a not so little place called Johns Hopkins in Baltimore....

I'll tell her you asked and thanks.

Edit: OK Ray I just sent in the request to join the FB group. It's under Kristas name as we share an email account and I can't be bothered/too lazy to set up another one so I can use my own name on FB.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Jim F and Andy,

I'm 99 and 44 one hundredths percent sure this is 5th Ave, just north of 59th Street, near the Zoo. The NYC-style Police barricades and the stone wall are indicators, as are the width of the street and the position of the trees.

The photo was taken looking west. Two street beats and roll off later you're in front of the Pierre Hotel. A couple more and it's St. Patrick's Cathedral, and the drum major has to go up the steps and kiss the bishop's ring.

I must have marched that route 100 times, at least, what with Scouts, Xavier HS, St. Catherine's, Sunrisers, St. Francis Prep and the Manhattan College Gaelic Society.

Ray Priester will also recognize this spot. The Skyliners just about owned it.

One curiosity is that this parade is moving south. Most went the other way.

Jim F and Andy,

I'm 99 and 44 one hundredths percent sure this is 5th Ave, just north of 59th Street, near the Zoo. The NYC-style Police barricades and the stone wall are indicators, as are the width of the street and the position of the trees.

The photo was taken looking west. Two street beats and roll off later you're in front of the Pierre Hotel. A couple more and it's St. Patrick's Cathedral, and the drum major has to go up the steps and kiss the bishop's ring.

I must have marched that route 100 times, at least, what with Scouts, Xavier HS, St. Catherine's, Sunrisers, St. Francis Prep and the Manhattan College Gaelic Society.

Ray Priester will also recognize this spot. The Skyliners just about owned it.

If you haven't said you marched it I would have posted that you were never there in your life. :tounge2: Started to sound like my dad when asked about some place in the boonies around Harrisburg. He'll give you chapter and verse of the area for a while (just to show off) and then end with "..... never heard of the place". And people wonder where I get my smart aleck genetics from.

As for picking out places where you parade. Few years back there was a local TV report on an "Adams County" Quickee Mart that was busted for selling knock off pot and other "stuff". Soon as they show the front of the store I said "Oh #### Gettysburg... fork in the road Business 15 at Steinwahr". Turns out it was a few blocks from where we would meet for parades and was in there to buy sodas or Gatorade. Also near the end of the parade route at the cemetary....

And bad news on the photo credit. Checked what encyclopedia volumes that I have left and almost every pic has the credit with the picture. The corps photo was in a special section (few pages of it) on photography. Because the photo didn't have a credit then the only credit must have covered the whole phtography section. Which of course I don't have since I only saved the pic.... crap....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Jim Stanko mentioned that it might be the Long Island Saints from Astoria, NY (Queens) ... they were a parade corps taught by Harry Hazelwood ... Brian, you have anything on them in your archives? ... they do not appear on Corpsreps ...

:-)

Jim Stanko mentioned that it might be the Long Island Saints from Astoria, NY (Queens) ... they were a parade corps taught by Harry Hazelwood ... Brian, you have anything on them in your archives? ... they do not appear on Corpsreps ...

The Long Island City Saints were not just a parade corps. We (T-birds) completed against them in the early 60s. Good little corps with some very talented folks!

Jim Stanko mentioned that it might be the Long Island Saints from Astoria, NY (Queens) Brian, you have anything on them in your archives?

Unfortunately the Saints aren't pictured in the 1966 Encyclopedia of Drum Corps. They are mentioned in the 1962-63 Drum Corps News Corps Directory as being under the leadership of Bill Danz. Bob Bellarosa doesn't have them listed in his 1962 directory. And although they are listed in the Drum Corps World encyclopedia volume 1, there isn't a photo.

>>Unfortunately the Saints aren't pictured in the 1966 Encyclopedia of Drum Corps. They are mentioned in the 1962-63 Drum Corps News Corps Directory as being under the leadership of Bill Danz. Bob Bellarosa doesn't have them listed in his 1962 directory. And although they are listed in the Drum Corps World encyclopedia volume 1, there isn't a photo.<<

Bummer ... I can't find any scores or recordings either ... I'll try and reach Harry to see if it's them ...

My files don't show any scores for the L. I. Saints (they didn't compete in the L. I. Circuit Championships that I have scores for), and they weren't recorded by either Alf Wateska or Stet Richmond. I guess we'd have to hear from a former member to say whether or not it's the Saints in the photo.

I never even thought that, but you are so right.

BTW, no clue who that corps in the parade pic is. Early St. Andrews pics on CR's look to be different and Selden sold the cadet uni's to them, late 65 or early 66.

Edited by gsksun4

JimF,

Which Encyclopedia is this?

I have a copy of the David Ross-Robertson and Samuels volume, published by the Allen Company in '66 or so but do not find this photo.

In any case, it may very well be the Saints. The colors are correct, at least.

I will copy it and send it to John "Screech" Arietano, who marched there before joining the Sunrisers with a few others like Pete Fedyck and Danny Tedesco, in '67.