Mergers, What was the story?

I always got a kick out of the fact that the Blue Angels had BAD (Blue Angels Danvers) emblazoned on their flags.

Cool! I remember hearing about a corps called Blue Angels in the 1970's. Blue angel also involved a lighter and fart (don't try this at home).

In my 1974 day timer, I taught Cadet Lancers or Lancer Cadets that spring. They may have been 2 feeder corps that merged. I liked them. That's all I remember.

In 1978, AAG combined their A corps (aged 13-21) and B corps (9-12). Is combining 2 feeder corps OR combining an A and B corps (in the same umbrella organization) a merger or morph?

I'm curious.

Some of the earliest junior mergers I've found (mainly because 1953 is when drum corps publications really started taking off):

1953:

Crusader/Gladiators=Milwaukee Crusaders + St. Francis Gladiators

Elks Lancers=Flanders + High Ridge ‘Y’ Lancers

Vagabonds/Little Devils=Haddontown Little Devils + Pennsauken Vagabonds

The words "Feeder Corp" always sounded predatory to me. If you want to make yourself feel uncomfortable go to www.thefreedictionary.com then enter the word "feeder" in the search area. Then read the second definition.

Speaking of Canada.... in contributing to the thread "What was the best crowd response...." I wrote about my experience doing a half time show for the Toronto Argonauts as a member of the Boston Crusaders in 1979. We were given the most amazing ovations during the course of our show. Thank you Canada. I can't say the same for my experience in Canada as a hockey player as you guys had a tendency to use your sticks as a way of introducing yourselves to your opponents faces. It took us until the 2nd period to adjust to Canada's "old time hockey." But we did adjust.

The words "Feeder Corp" always sounded predatory to me. If you want to make yourself feel uncomfortable go to www.thefreedictionary.com then enter the word "feeder" in the search area. Then read the second definition.

I agree with you and to be honest I hadn't heard the phrase until I started reading it here, on DCP, a few years ago. Personally, I find the word derogatory and apologize for citing common colloquialisms found on these threads.

As a Scarborough Firefighter, struggling to pay dues, I was excited to be able to teach marching to Sparkies, our younger corps, in lieu of dues in 1971. My summer job was as a playground leader at an inner city highrise complex. Maybe the organization thought I would be a good fit?

In the spring of 1972, I was assigned the DM role but continued working basics with our guard. That summer my job was a day camp counsellor for 17 seven year old girls. On Wednesday afternoons each week, 5 young ladies with MD would join us for our swimming lessons. I was amazed at their arms only swimming abilities. In the summer of 1973, my job was a day camp counsellor for 18 eight year old boys from the inner city. The camp was north of the city in a forested area. They became avid tree climbers and fun to be with.

Each fall, I continued working with our guard but the rehearsals became tougher. Something odd happened. The harder we worked, the more people joined. Girls were bringing their sisters, cousins, neighbours. I continued to teach basics for this corps until 1975, a few of us continue to be friends to this day. A few years ago, I asked 4 former guard members if I was too hard on them. They said no.

Fast forward to the winter of 2014 when a number of guard instructors and contest volunteers gathered to meet and greet after a guard contest. I overheard a young guard instructor from Calgary telling others her doubts about being too hard on the kids. I asked her 'Did anyone quit?' She said 'No'. I asked 'Is your enrollment up?' She said 'Yes'. I told her 'I was also tough but some of the kids I taught, who are now adults, said I wasn't last year'. She smiled and so did I 'cause I loved their 2014 guard show!

Flashback to 1974-1975 when I lived in Kitchener. I had the privilege of teaching basics to Ventures winter guard. It was not until recent years that I learned that Ventures winter guard is thriving, had so for decades and offer programs for various age groups.

When I moved west and was hired by Alberta All Girls, I had to teach the B (Junior) corps first, before I could work with the A (Senior) corps. Having had experience in teaching younger members and an all girl corps allowed me to be comfortable in the role. Pam and I were DMs the summer of 1977 which made the experience more unique and enjoyable. Rehearsals were tough as we were also their guard/marching instructors but during a performance we were peers, and to this day we are friends with a few of those we taught and marched with. Our winter guard was started 1976-77 and was a separate entity with its own fundraising. The winter guard comprised of 1/3 summer guard, 1/3 hornline members, 1/3 drumline members. Both corps pooled resources in 1978 and continued until late 1979 after that winter guard was all that remained. The guard continued until 1988 and were mostly staffed by former drummers. To this day, some continue in the activity by teaching or judging.

AAG had a stage band (with drum corps equipment) from 1988-1991. The organization became a song and dance stage performance act from 1992-2004. The point of my lengthy post, is that younger units should have the respect they deserve, staff need to provide a service to all interested age groups, administration need to adapt to economies and changes, its good to provide more than one unit under an umbrella and most importantly, challenge the kids, teach with mutual respect and make sure to have some fun. I'll try to find corps names that fit this thread later. The word evolving better fits my mind.

Edit: a link to paragraph 5 http://blog.calgarystampede.com/2014/08/22/colorguard_in_brazil/

With respect to paragraph 6, I sent what I had via email 4 or so years ago and corresponded. It was a nice virtual reunion

With respect to paragraph 7 and 8, the story has been told elsewhere but no more photos here 'cause they've been taken from here for other purposes ugh!

With respect to paragraphs 2, 3, 4 I finally put together our repertoire over the years from 1965 - 1975. Once confirmed with our own, I'll send to corpsreps.com

Edited by lindap

Lindap, as a citizen of the Boston area and a Boston Crusader alumnus I must admit that it's a bit overwhelming for me to be hit with so much sincerity all at once. It's not that I've been less than sincere in my posts but I do try to work in some cynicism and an occasional snide remark from time to time.

First, I would like to say that, after reading your post, I feel your one of the last people on DCP who should be apologizing for anything, least of all the use of a colloquialism. I hope that you did not feel I was being critical of you. If you did then I am the one who should be apologizing.

Secondly, your dedication to so many young people is humbling especially to a guy who, during my time in Drum Corp, was more dedicated to keeping my beer cold as opposed to reaching out to others with the time and effort you put in. I did dedicate myself to the Crusader's which admittedly did take a lot of dedication but to be honest your post exhausted me.

It does seem that you got as much back as you put in which I hope is true as you so obviously deserved it.

It's also obvious that you instilled a lot of pride in those that you taught which in my opinion is more than half the battle and you understood that their wouldn't be any pride without a lot of hard work. I also like how you mentioned the need to respect the young members as I feel they need to be more involved in the running of their Corp so as to create a feeling that the Corp is truly theirs.

I'm also humbled that you would respond to me with such a lengthy post and I hope others will take the time to enjoy it.

Also "evolving" evoke's a much more pleasant imagery compared with "feeder" and the image of the second definition though that is what they do up there in Calgary isn't it? Sorry, I had to end my post with a little dark cynicism as it's just the Boston in me.

Edited by Bsader

A merger that garnered little attention, but produced a ton of talented people was the union of the Levittown Pennsylvanians, and the Feasterville Brigadiers in 1966. The Pennsylvanians were hit hard in the winter of '66 , with almost the entire drumline being drafted into the Military. The Brigadiers were a relatively new corps ( formed in '63) that had a full talented drum line, and a hornline with some excellent players. At a Pennsylvanians corps rehearsal in early May, the Corps Director announced that that corps was folding due to lack of members, much to the dismay of the members. The kids were told to turn in their uniforms and equipment the next week. we were very disappointed, but the corps committee was busy working behind the scenes trying to salvage the corps. They got together with members of the Brigadiers, and agreed to a merger. The Levittown kids ( me, being a skeptical 13 year old) were a little apprehensive of the move ( since the Brigadiers didn't have the track record we had), but agreed to try it. The first rehearsal was magic with close to 40 horns, 24 guard , and a full drumline present (that was big back then!). We then rehearsed about 16 of the next 21 days ( alternating between Feasterville and Levittown sites), and learned an entire show in 3 weeks.

We started off slow, but eventually won the circuit championship in September by over 8 points. After our first year our corps Director Earl Kitchenman ( father of famous drill designer Eric Kitchenman) passed away unexpectedly, and the corps changed our name to the Earls of Bucks in his honor. Although the corps was never in the national spotlight, we did produce some really outstanding talent. Testimony to that would be our streak of 15 consecutive Ensemble wins ( the equivalent of mini corps during the winters of 68 and 69), and the fact the we sent upwards of 40 members onto upper level DCI and DCA Corps such as: Blue Rock, Blessed Sacrament, Polish Falcons, Crossmen, Reading Bucs, Hawthorne Cabs, Skyliners, and Syracuse Brigadiers . We were very fortunate to have been instructed by future Drum Corps Hall of Fame members like Frank McCormick, Harry Ginther, and Bobby and Don Adair, and had a corps executive committee that consisted of who all had marched with top level corps back in the day.

Some of us are still marching today, and are very grateful for the experience we had as members of the Pennsylvanians/Brigadiers, and Earls of Bucks

RCC

Lindap, as a citizen of the Boston area and a Boston Crusader alumnus I must admit that it's a bit overwhelming for me to be hit with so much sincerity all at once. It's not that I've been less than sincere in my posts but I do try to work in some cynicism and an occasional snide remark from time to time.

First, I would like to say that, after reading your post, I feel your one of the last people on DCP who should be apologizing for anything, least of all the use of a colloquialism. I hope that you did not feel I was being critical of you. If you did then I am the one who should be apologizing.

Secondly, your dedication to so many young people is humbling especially to a guy who, during my time in Drum Corp, was more dedicated to keeping my beer cold as opposed to reaching out to others with the time and effort you put in. I did dedicate myself to the Crusader's which admittedly did take a lot of dedication but to be honest your post exhausted me.

It does seem that you got as much back as you put in which I hope is true as you so obviously deserved it.

It's also obvious that you instilled a lot of pride in those that you taught which in my opinion is more than half the battle and you understood that their wouldn't be any pride without a lot of hard work. I also like how you mentioned the need to respect the young members as I feel they need to be more involved in the running of their Corp so as to create a feeling that the Corp is truly theirs.

I'm also humbled that you would respond to me with such a lengthy post and I hope others will take the time to enjoy it.

Also "evolving" evoke's a much more pleasant imagery compared with "feeder" and the image of the second definition though that is what they do up there in Calgary isn't it? Sorry, I had to end my post with a little dark cynicism as it's just the Boston in me.

No worries. (as we say out west). My inspiration was watching Kilties in 1968. Loved that horn line! I found girl guides not my cup of tea so I joined drum corps as a guard member elbow to elbow with 2 soprano/sop/soloist/trumpet players. One had raw talent, the other classical. Both sounded great! I had the best guard girl job taking care of our lead sops during marching and drum solos until their solos. It was much better than stage shows when the guard was a backdrop (a stage term as I was involved with theatre throughout school). Evoke and emotion are good words ;)

A couple of the busiest seasons for junior mergers:

Blue Angel/Reveries=Blue Angels + I.C. Reveries

American Patrol + Tri Town Cadets

Blue Knights=St. Paul 'B' Scouts + St. Francis De Salles

Oakland Crusaders=Etobicoke Crusaders + De La Salle Oaklands

Melrose Cardinals=Legion Vanguard + Wilmington Cardinals

Avant Garde=Speigleaires + Emerald Knights

Marksmen (WA)=Sentinels + Shamrocks

Yankee Marauders=Magnificent Yankees + Syracuse Marauders

Crossmen=Keystone Regiment + 507 Hornets

Guardsmen (NY) + Envoys

Statesmen (IL)=Capitol Chargers + Falcons

Sabre Cadets=Sharpsburg Cadets + Blue Sabres

3rd Regimen=Hawks + Royal Lancers

Imperial Regiment=Lakeview Shoreliners + 71st Lancers

Empire Statesmen=Troy Muchachos + Trinity Cadets

Marksmen (MA)=Dukes + Sharpshooters

Royal Chevaliers=Chevaliers + Royals

CT Crusaders + Hartford P.A.L.

Capitolaires + Petites

Frontiersmen (NY)=Red Raiders+Blue Sabres+ Royal Coachmen

Troubador/Guardsmen=Troubadors + Flint Guardsmen (called Royal Marque in 1976)

Compagnons + La Salle Cadets

Crimson Buccaneers=Polish Falcons + Ridgemen

Northstars=Dutch Boy Cadets + Flying Dutchmen

Black Diamond Regiment=Belvederes + Highlanders

Royal Brigade=Meadowlarks + Townsmen

King's Regiment=Monarchs + Lakers

Maine Brigade=5th Maine Regiment + Pine Tree Warriors

Imperial Dragons + 3rd Generation

Renaissance=Dukes + Marksmen

Crusading Militiamen=Crusaders + Militiamen

Krescendos + Lindsay Kavaliers (didn’t last)

Etobicoke Knights=Oakland Crusaders (parade) + Etobicoke Lancers (p)

Marinieres/Mariniers=Marinieres + Mariniers

Zephyrs=Zephyrs +Central Airs

Edited by Northern Thunder