Drum Corps Europe Finals Today

Not to be a mamby-pamby suck-up here...but I honestly believe that we are all attempting to achieve the same general destinations...albeit, still along different paths (whether the specific paths are due to history, funding, experience, or exposure). The important thing is the DESTINATION...and to me, I think that while our separate pathways may be different, they are not divergent. Our aims and goals are much more alike that we might be willing to admit. And therein lies the true beauty of the experience...

Edited by HornTeacher

Not to be a mamby-pamby suck-up here...but I honestly believe that we are all attempting to achieve the same general destinations...albeit, still along different paths (whether the specific paths are due to history, funding, experience, or exposure). The important thing is the DESTINATION...and to me, I think that while our separate pathways may be different, they are not divergent. Our aims and goals are much more alike that we might be willing to admit. And therein lies the true beauty of the experience...

Are you talking about drum corps, or this thread? :tounge2: Either way, I agree.

• Like 1

Are you talking about drum corps, or this thread? :tounge2: Either way, I agree.

Well, I meant drum corps. But like many things in life, there can multiple applications. :tounge2::tounge2::tounge2:

You both imply that fewer (% wise) Europeans take music, but fail to provide evidence of this. With all respect, you're just dudes posting on a message board - what authority do you have in this area? Specifically, what percentage of European high school students play an instrument, compared to US? I just did a Google maps search for "Musical Instruments" which produced similar results for towns of similar size in the UK and US when viewed at the same scale. Who are they selling these instruments to?

Having lived in England all my life and having gone through the schooling system and the development of Drum Corps in The UK, I would suggest it gives my views some credibility. I am English and therefore not a 'dude' that would be 'geezer' to you 'mate'.

You might take the time to reflect upon your response as you do not state how you qualify as an 'authority' if all you have done is Googled something.

Having lived in England all my life and having gone through the schooling system and the development of Drum Corps in The UK, I would suggest it gives my views some credibility. I am English and therefore not a 'dude' that would be 'geezer' to you 'mate'.

You might take the time to reflect upon your response as you do not state how you qualify as an 'authority' if all you have done is Googled something.

I never said I was an authority;

A: Asks question.

B. Answers question.

A. Doubts B's answer, asks for authority of B

B. States authority (reasonable), and asks for authority of A (not reasonable since A did not base his views on knowledge of the subject)

Now, here's why I doubt your view (but not your expertise): My experience in the US as a drum corps member for six years and fan for 30 is that the powerhouse top performing corps should not exist here. It seems to make no sense based on our culture.

But here's the thing: It isn't based on our mainstream culture, it's based on a tiny fringe. So all the arguments we've heard here, yours included, that doubt the mainstream European culture(s) would support it, aren't addressing the real question of whether there is a tiny fringe of potential (and we're talking maybe 300,000 fans, that's 1/10 of 1% - .001 of the population, at any given time).

Thought experiment: If I went to 100 Americans, including some musicians and even music teachers (who don't know DCI) and showed them BD's Felliniesque on HD, but let's say I told them these top drum corps things were a European phenomenon. And then I ask them if they think it would work here in the US, I bet many would say it wouldn't work, and give similar reasons to what we've heard here; for example, "We have marching bands here, so that fills that need," etc.(Note that this is the opposite argument to the lack of bands in Europe).

So, mate, can you rule out the possibility that .1% of the UK population would support this level of performance?

Pete,

This information is taken from the Department of Educations website.The structure of the national curriculum, in terms of which subjects are compulsory at What age. Music is compulsory for Kids from the age of 5yrs to 14yrs. After that time there is no formal education offered.

As you can see music is not mandatory.

This is where I struggle with your view for the following reason. Kids do not receive adequate opportunities to explore music at a time when they are 'ripe or mature' enough to consider exploring opportunities outside of mainstream music i.e. pop/ rock. These are readily available through many forms of media and subsequently more accessible to today's youth.

Drum Corps is not well publicised or very accessible to many in this country and not considered to be 'cool' by most kids. There are things to consider socially when joining something that is not mainstream - peer group pressure/ ridicule/ bullying etc which can arise when you do not go with the flow or are not strong enough to be individual.

The decline of the activity in this country over the last twenty years as highlighted by the reduction of the number of corps/ bands locally as exacerbated the situation.

The idea of a social experiment of showing someone an 'ideal' and considering whether it could happen is okay as far as it goes. I cannot however see it happening unless a very determined group of individuals marketed, funded and overhauled the education system, I doubt a championship quality corps will exist.

Don't get me wrong, I would love it to happen and for a European Corps to win the world championship, but I cannot see it happening anytime soon.

Edited by freakyswotboy

Freaky, ole chap

Whose Department of Education? The Royal Empire or us Colonials?

What's the Royal Empire? Is that a corps from New York State?

The Department for Education I was referring to is part of the British Government.