Madison Scouts Cymbal Line Returns

Yep. Distraction. Cool. But they pull they eye AWAY from where it's supposed to be.

What exactly are we supposed to be looking at during a drum corps show? I didn't know there were rules for this.

I'm a pit person so I often find myself watching the pit for most of the show. Y'know, that large distracting mass of huge, weird, and expensive instruments that sits right between the audience and the corps. My sister watches the guard the entire show, a section that I barely notice at most time. Many others focus on the snares, others on feet, etc. Yes, there will be featured sections/visual elements/etc. . . . but there's always so much going on the field in a modern drum corps show that I don't think there's anywhere your eyes are supposed to be. If people aren't paying attention to your feature because of some kids playing plates in the back field then your feature is poorly staged and/or designed. And if you can't hear the musical contribution cymbals make on the field then you're not listening. Like a lot of percussive effects in both battery and sideline it can be subtle, something that's often felt and not heard (the same thing can be said for low and middle brass TBH) but it's there.

• Like 4

What exactly are we supposed to be looking at during a drum corps show? I didn't know there were rules for this.

I'm a pit person so I often find myself watching the pit for most of the show. Y'know, that large distracting mass of huge, weird, and expensive instruments that sits right between the audience and the corps. My sister watches the guard the entire show, a section that I barely notice at most time. Many others focus on the snares, others on feet, etc. Yes, there will be featured sections/visual elements/etc. . . . but there's always so much going on the field in a modern drum corps show that I don't think there's anywhere your eyes are supposed to be. If people aren't paying attention to your feature because of some kids playing plates in the back field then your feature is poorly staged and/or designed. And if you can't hear the musical contribution cymbals make on the field then you're not listening. Like a lot of percussive effects in both battery and sideline it can be subtle, something that's often felt and not heard (the same thing can be said for low and middle brass TBH) but it's there.

When the line is playing they're a traveling strobe light. Difficult to ignore and always catching the eye.

The designers of the show are thinking about the audience's (and judges') eye ALL THE TIME. If you deliberately ignore the design and stare at the pit then obviously the distracting element doesn't apply to you.

And the sound may be there. But no one hears it. Sorry.

Edited by corpsband

When the line is playing they're a traveling strobe light. Difficult for me to ignore and always catching my eye.

The designers of the show are thinking about the judges eyes ALL THE TIME. If you are not a judge then obviously the distracting element doesn't apply to you.

And the sound may be there. But I don't hear it. Sorry.

Adjusted your post slightly to better reflect reality.

• Like 1

Obviously. This is why every corps still marches a plate line. :doh:

Not to start anything, but when did you start following DCI? Or what is the earliest year you enjoy? Just curious based on your opinions.

Not to start anything, but when did you start following DCI? Or what is the earliest year you enjoy? Just curious based on your opinions.

Here comes the ad hominem :-)

Long before you my child. And I think you're misreading my opinion (and instead reading Rifuarian's attempts to marginalize them).

My opinion is...I actually enjoy a plate line. It just doesn't make any sense at all in today's drum corps.

Obviously. This is why every corps still marches a plate line. :doh:

One lemming jumps and the rest will follow, regardless of whether jumping is a good or bad idea. It's all about what's fashionable. When tubas and tenor drums are next on the chopping block (and this will happen in the next couple of decades, it's already happening in band) I wonder if those who are so dismissive of cymbal lines will be singing the same tune?

Long before you my child. And I think you're misreading my opinion (and instead reading Rifuarian's attempts to marginalize them).

My opinion is...I actually enjoy a plate line. It just doesn't make any sense at all in today's drum corps.

Wow,

Ok well since you're going to be a ##### about. It was a simple question.

But clearly I just shouldn't take a word you say seriously with your attempt at putting me down with the "my child" pathetic comment.

So glad we have elitist, disenchanted people like you.

One lemming jumps and the rest will follow, regardless of whether jumping is a good or bad idea. It's all about what's fashionable. When tubas and tenor drums are next on the chopping block (and this will happen in the next couple of decades, it's already happening in band) I wonder if those who are so dismissive of cymbal lines will be singing the same tune?

No not lemmings. It just takes time for canalized thinking to look past tradition and embrace reality. You can't hear them. And instead of contributing to the design they are a distraction. Maybe they aren't such a good idea. Hmm. Eventually reality smacks everyone in the face.

I'm not marginalizing your opinion. You're universalizing yours.

And there's room in "modern" drum corps for all sorts of things. Including plates. Not every corps wants them, that's cool. Not every corps wants flugels or euphs either, but it's cool when they're used (even though most people can't hear the difference). Not everyone uses rifles (talk about dated!) but there's still room for them in modern corps. Vive la difference, down with homogeneity.

Edited by Rifuarian
  • Like 1