Madison Scouts Cymbal Line Returns

So I'm wondering if cymbals in general are distracting and disruptive, or just the when someone crashes a few together and marches around with them? I would just reiterate that I love cymbals and cymbals lines and would trade every low end keyboard synth, every obnoxious sound effect, every prerecorded noise and and every single microphone on a brass instrument for a cymbal line.

The other good news is that Surf is bringing the cymbal line back in '15, so there's that.

• Like 1

Bucs 205 in DCA...a marching cymbal clinic. Hell, they even set tempos for the entire corps!

now...in an echo chamber facility, you will lose the voice somewhat. But I'm glad to see another line back. Maybe even the snares doing some ride patterns!

• Like 1

hahahahaha

yeah, no. I prefer consistent good intonation

Lol maybe I was being too subtle. I was hoping people would play off the fact that I'm known to be pro electronics/modern DCI and realize I was being sarcastic.

I totally agree with you. Intonation > volume.

• Like 1

Bucs 205 in DCA...a marching cymbal clinic. Hell, they even set tempos for the entire corps!

now...in an echo chamber facility, you will lose the voice somewhat. But I'm glad to see another line back. Maybe even the snares doing some ride patterns!

That's the ultimate example of a *musical* cymbal line. No corps, in either circuit, has even come close to having a cymbal line like that one.

Time to bring back g bugles?

Still have 'em around but IIRC the only diference between the G and Bs being made today is length of tubing. Notice I said "today" and not comparing the past G beasts.... :ninja:

Which brings up the serious question... Are cymbals being made differently (aka better) than years back? And years back meaning when cymbal lines had all different sizes and not 2 people smacking the same size plates.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Which brings up the serious question... Are cymbals being made differently (aka better) than years back? And years back meaning when cymbal lines had all different sizes and not 2 people smacking the same size plates.

I think Zildjian has used the same methods and materials for the last 400 years or so

Lol maybe I was being too subtle. I was hoping people would play off the fact that I'm known to be pro electronics/modern DCI and realize I was being sarcastic.

I totally agree with you. Intonation > volume.

I'll be honest, I thought it was likely sarcasm and went for 100% bluntness

That's the ultimate example of a *musical* cymbal line. No corps, in either circuit, has even come close to having a cymbal line like that one.

SCV, Colts, Crossmen come to mind. Bush the last few years has been pretty happening in DCA. I agree some plate lines are nothing more than steel slammers at impacts and visual focused...but because marching cymbals have become a dying art, the amount of people that actually know how to work with them has dropped