Madison Scouts Cymbal Line Returns

Wow,

Ok well since you're going to be a ##### about. It was a simple question.

But clearly I just shouldn't take a word you say seriously with your attempt at putting me down with the "my child" pathetic comment.

So glad we have elitist, disenchanted people like you.

lol o my aggrieved heart.

it's not a put down -- just a simple relfection of our differences in age :-)

and thanks for the ad hominem -- funny how that was so easy to predict!

Edited by corpsband

I'm not marginalizing your opinion. You're universalizing yours.

And there's room in "modern" drum corps for all sorts of things. Including plates. Not every corps wants them, that's cool. Not every corps wants flugels or euphs either, but it's cool when they're used (even though most people can't hear the difference). Not everyone uses rifles (talk about dated!) but there's still room for them in modern corps. Vive la difference, down with homogeneity.

It's simply the nature of the instrument. If there were members of the hornline waving around two mellophone bells -- one in each hand, you'd agree it's a visual distraction. But shiny plates waving all over the place -- that's just fine :-)

Edited by corpsband

It's simply the nature of the instrument. If there were members of the hornline waving around two mellophone bells -- one in each hand, you'd agree it's a visual distraction. But shiny plates waving all over the place -- that's just fine :-)

No, I wouldn't really find it distracting. Drum corps is full of shiny, sparkly, colorful, big, potentially distracting things. Spit polished bells that reflect stadium lights. Sequins and mirrors on uniforms. Brightly colored flags and bright white rifles being tossed about. Massive vibraphones and marimbas in the pit. And those oh so distracting white circles that we call "bass drums". Yet in spite of all that I find myself more than capable of paying attention to whatever it is I want to pay attention to. I'm sorry that you can't, but please do not generalize your personal problem.

Edited by Rifuarian
  • Like 3

No, I wouldn't really find it distracting. Drum corps is full of shiny, sparkly, colorful, big, potentially distracting things. Spit polished bells that reflect stadium lights. Sequins and mirrors on uniforms. Brightly colored flags and bright white rifles being tossed about. Massive vibraphones and marimbas in the pit. And those oh so distracting white circles that we call "bass drums". Yet in spite of all that I find myself more than capable of paying attention to whatever it is I want to pay attention to. I'm sorry that you can't, but please do not generalize your personal problem.

lol you find the visual elements your SUPPOSED to look at distracting and vice versa. obviously a percussionist. end of discussion.

lol you find the visual elements your SUPPOSED to look at distracting and vice versa. obviously a percussionist. end of discussion.

And if cymbals are on the field then they are also a visual element that's supposed to be looked at. If they don't interest you, then don't look at them. Just like I don't look at all the other visual elements that might not interest me. You've run yourself into the ground here. And yes, I'm a percussionist. So what? You are very plainly not a percussionist yet I don't consider this a handicap when it comes to having an opinion on the matter. But what does this have to do with discussion - though it's less a discussion and more you universalizing your opinions and getting called on it - and why does me being a percussionist mean "end of discussion"?

If those awful cymbals really are so distracting, then go get a hot dog when a cymbal line is on the field. That would be a shame though. If you skip SCV you'll be missing one of the finest percussion sections to ever grace the field . . . and their cymbal line is an integral part of that.

Edited by Rifuarian
  • Like 2

Interesting, I do as well, and I'm not a percussionist.

Let's see what sort of attack you use on me now and how many big words you can use from your thesaurus.

And if cymbals are on the field then they are also a visual element that's supposed to be looked at. If they don't interest you, then don't look at them. Just like I don't look at all the other visual elements that might not interest me. You've run yourself into the ground here. And yes, I'm a percussionist. So what? You are very plainly not a percussionist yet I don't consider this a handicap when it comes to having an opinion on the matter. But what does this have to do with discussion - though it's less a discussion and more you universalizing your opinions and getting called on it - and why does me being a percussionist mean "end of discussion"?

If those awful cymbals really are so distracting, then go get a hot dog when a cymbal line is on the field. That would be a shame though. If you skip SCV you'll be missing one of the finest percussion sections to ever grace the field . . . and their cymbal line is an integral part of that.

the show design is not about what interests "you". no one designs a show for "you". you're the one trying to place your opinion above anyone else's.

"i watch the pit. what's wrong with that?"

ROFL. this isn't about whether it's ok for you do that. the point was (and is) that the show designers probably don't intend for you to watch the pit. so while it's perfectly ok for "you" to watch the FE the whole show, it should occur to you -- just possibly -- that it is NOT the designer's intent.

and why do you keep trying to turn the discussion into a personal issue and not about the facts?

oops.

sorry for stepping on your toes. i'll leave you alone now.

dude where did i attack you? please link to this message.

<crickets>

Crickets, more like the sound of your fingers typing more useless rhetoric.

But that's ok, clearly your emotional maturity and outlet are on here, so I should just let it go.

Keep living the dream.