Review - Hornell, NY

...let's review!

THE DECISION: I wasn't going to go to this show. I figured the two days of Allentown would be enough. My mind started to change this morning when I woke up and saw how beautiful a day it was. It took a strong turn to change when I looked at the Allentown weather forecast for Friday. It changed completely when I realized that this would probably be my one and only chance to hear a Phantom victory concert.

THE DRIVE: US 15 North from Williamsport, Pennsylvania through lovely, remote, Tioga County, recently hit by twisters, and then west and north through rural valleys in central New York. Wonderful. BTW, they take their speed limits SERIOUSLY in these villages in central NY. No, I wasn't pulled over, but when the car ahead of me slowed to exactly 30 mph coming into the first one, I knew something was up.

THE COMPANY: My son, Michael, 4. Has been coming to DC with me since age 1. Claim to fame: did both nights of DCI East in Philadelphia in 2001 as a two-year-old. Has been known to answer question of "Will you be a drummer when you grow up?" with "I am a drummer." Also met our church choir director and her husband there.

THE MEAL: Whopper w/cheese, large fries, Coke. Michael had chicken tenders. Met the director of Dansville, NY White Sabers Drum and Bugle Corps, Mark Gerber. He gave me his card, so I thought I'd give him a plug.

THE VENUE: Hornell High School stadium. Grandstand with overhang between the twenties. First-come first-serve seating, so we were lucky to get there when we did. Snagged sixth-row seats between the forty-fives (yummy!) Very few drill forms did we see, but the sound more than made up for it.

THE ANTHEM: Performed by Melissa (I think that is her name) of Colts, a capella. Very nice mezzo voice with excellent intonation and good transitions into head voice as needed. After the Colts' performance, the announcer said that she was a seventh-year age out. Congratulations and best wishes.

THE CORPS (in order of appearance and placement, since they were the same:)

CAPITOL SOUND, of Madison, Wisconsin: Only Div. II of the night. Numbers got progressively better after the opener. Unfortunately, with Michael on my lap for all of the shows, I don't get to write down notes anymore, so I really don't remember a lot of this show. I do remember them singing and with decent intonation. The crowd got into them. That is the joy of local shows - they are not jaded and appreciate all levels of corps.

KIWANIS KAVALIERS, of Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Canada: First Div. I of the night, and it showed in the improved playing and marching. I don't see a lot of Div. II corps, and I thought maybe Kavs belonged there. FYI (and mine), they belong in Division I. For the second straight year I really enjoyed a Kiwanis show. It is packed with really obvious GE pieces which hooked the local crowd right in. The guard communicated with the audience quite well - they liked the "strip tease" section (obviously) and the playfulness between horn guys and guard girls. Accessible music (the Beatles), which was not as derivative of Bluecoats 92 as I thought it might be, and a confident performance.

COLTS, of Dubuque, Iowa: This corps just says "class" to me. The uniforms of the CG and musicians are just sharp. It is too bad this corps doesn't have much of a shot at finals because they certainly sound and look good. A lot of power from the brass at the opening and great solo sounds from several people in the final "Jazz" section. The theme of "Ritual, Song, and Dance" allows them to use a few different genres. I heard from a Colts alumnus that I met a couple of weeks ago that their policy is still "Once a Colt, always a Colt." Translated: if you are a vet, you have a guaranteed spot - a new person can't bump you on the basis of an audition. I have often thought about how gut-wrenching it would be to be bumped on the basis of an audition (unless, of course, you had an attitude problem all year) and I really respect the Colts for maintaining the membership.

MAGIC OF ORLANDO, of Orlando, Florida: No doubt a step up from the Colts and then some. This corps also makes a wonderful color presentation (no, not that kind) with their rich purple uniforms in musicians and guard. Fascinating opening to the show with small, high bells seemingly coming from far away - they're in the battery, who are marching them out towards the end zone. Color guard begins the show doing work with little silver panels. Thus we are introduced to "Silver Voices." A really extended percussive introduction to the show builds tension until the first brass hit. Very full, powerful brass sound. Magic marches well and moves constantly, keeping us on our toes with the aforementioned visually created tension. Only question: there is a long section of standing still near (but not at) the end of the opener. Why? Pacing? Brass stamina? Some drill work there might max out your Visual GE even more. Nice full field spread at the end of the opener and I especially appreciated the mellophones absolutely sticking the ninth of the chord right in my left ear. "Sanctus" from "Mass" confused me as I was expecting the Cadet-like transition to the quick section, which never happened. "Sanctus" finished with a quiet chorale. Closer was strong and brass maintained stamina to the end. They gained on Crossmen tonight, which I expected before the scores. I believe they have enough room in their show to pass, as I will detail below.

CROSSMEN, sponsored by YEA! I am much more familiar with the next two shows, as I have heard them on recordings several times and seen Crossmen once. Therefore, my reviews of these shows will be longer. Before I launch into this, let me say that I am always harder on Crossmen than any other corps, because they were my corps. The usual disclaimers apply: the members, I know, are working hard, and they are not the target of any criticism.

That having been said, the Crossmen will probably max out at tenth place and they have an extremely outside shot of going home Friday night for the first time in fourteen years. The design staff needs to take a good hard look at major changes in their approach for next year (Molotov cocktail edited out). The difference between Magic and even Colts' visual programs and Crossmen's was night and day. Crossmen looked slow and unimaginative compared to both. Granted, the Crossmen's playing different music is part of this. However, the music Crossmen is playing could easily have been substituted for 1996. The Crossmen may have the most hummable music out there, it makes more sense than Magic or Colts, and I still love it, but - they have been doing the same thing for seven years in a row. It is time for a change - if only to stay IN finals, not even to move up.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow is the weakest link of the program. (More Molotov cocktails deleted.) As a former judge who happened to be sitting next to me in New Jersey said to me, "They start with an off-the-line - but it's a ballad." The only thing it does is introduce the "Colors" theme, which is nicely translated throughout the show with different tops for the guard over a grey bodysuit. These were changed while other stuff was going on, so that the newbies behind me were like, "When did they change?" The final flags combine all the colors, so that's cool. The drumline is the best they've had in years and is well featured. I am very pleased with the new ending, which now builds far more logically into the park and wail section at the very end of the show.

Granted, they did not have a great show tonight and maybe that's why Magic gained. There were a few drops in the CG and some tosses that just did not come down at the same time. The drill at the end still needs to be cleaned. But I can't help but think that there is something more that could be done with Crossmen - something that would grab everyone's imagination. (Incendiary remark deleted.) They have a good hornline. They have a good drumline. They have a decent colorguard, but they have a show that can only go so far.

Close on a high note - the traditions that Crossmen maintain warm my heart. They still carry the same flag which we carried to rehearsals and planted on the stands every day in 92 and under which we marched into Madison. They still march off the field hand in hand. The snares have skulls-and-crossbones painted on their sound reflectors or whatever they call the thing under the snare drum. And I can't wait to see Bones on Saturday night. That is, if I'm still allowed to acknowledge myself as an alumnus after being so critical. God bless you, Crossmen, and prove me wrong.

PHANTOM REGIMENT, from Rockford/Loves Park, Illinois - Also known as "The Reason." I told Candy, our church choir director and long-time Regiment fan, that if she didn't go see them this year she was going to kick herself for the rest of her life.

After seeing the show, she agreed.

This show reminds me a lot of 93, both Phantom and Star, with a sprinkling of 99 Vanguard. The use of balletic body movement in Canon worked quite well for me, and the way the baritone and contra entrances are staged just are perfect. The hit, is, well, all that I could have expected. The entry into "Wild Nights" with the extended pit and brass ostinato is really accented well by the solo guard work which draws your eyes from performer to performer. Some of the lower brass attacks throughout the show are just monstrous, as is the percussion - the corps as a whole is just so aggressive. They have hosed a little bit of the end of "Wild Nights" which should help, but they still have holes in the sound when they march it.

In "The Lord's Prayer" the guard uses silver poles, which didn't do a lot for me, at least at this level. They just don't seem to be doing a lot with them. In fact, the only complaint I would have about the Regiment overall is that they are too monochrome. White unis (not that tan would have been better), black unis on the guard, silver sabers, silver poles - and they just don't have the big flags like they used to have. Musically the piece is just an absolutely glorious presentation.

The finale "Ostinato" or "Wild Nights 2" (not sure) is a roller-coaster ride of adrenaline. The bari/soprano melody reminds me of the main statement of Symphony No. 5 in 1996. They are that clean and that in tune. The restatement of Canon would be notable for the mellophone licks only - and I love the soprano/alto/bari/contra entrance before the ultimate chords, also remiscent of 96. I did not get that reference when listening to the recordings - the contras were too much in the mud. They weren't in the mud live.

Will it win? No. Too little interest visually. Does it rock? Absolutely. To borrow from the Miami Hurricanes: "The swagger is back." As if the Regiment would ever "swagger." That's more a BD style. Any suggestions for a substitute?

THE FINALE: Full Olympic retreat with Crossmen drumline playing on the corps. The show committee presented plastic water coolers to all competing corps. Except - the ones for the top three scorers were bigger, like the McDonald's size; for the other three, it was about a picnic-table size cooler for a family of four. BOO!

Phantom's DM conducted "America the Beautiful/O Canada" two rows directly behind us. Michael's eyes were glued on him. As I watched him, I also watched the older woman in front of the DM. Her eyes filled with tears and I saw several other people wiping their eyes. As bored as I get with that ending to a show, those who come to one show a year live for it and love it.

THE ENCORE: Often at shows, I wish I could just close my eyes because I can hear so much more of the music when more than half my brain isn't trying to interpret what I'm seeing. I got to do that with Phantom's encore, because they weren't moving. Because they weren't moving, all the holes related to marching at the same time were gone. It was as loud or louder as I've ever heard a corps play. Everything was perfectly in tune and perfectly articulated.

I also found myself wishing it would never be over - I knew that I wouldn't get another moment like it. That's the tough thing about shows; even the CDs don't replicate the experience, so as soon as it's over, it's relegated to memory. Although I've found that listening to my CDs right after hearing DC live brings back some of the "liveness" of the recorded music.

Good night!

(I edited this post the second time to slightly revise my comments re: Crossmen.)

Defense Counsel: "I'd like to object to that word, Molotov cocktail."

Judge: "Reason for your objection?"

Defense Counsel: "It's inflammatory, your honor."

Edited by mfrontz

CROSSMEN, sponsored by YEA! I am much more familiar with the next two shows, as I have heard them on recordings several times and seen Crossmen once. Therefore, my reviews of these shows will be longer. Before I launch into this, let me say that I am always harder on Crossmen than any other corps, because they were my corps. The usual disclaimers apply: the members, I know, are working hard, and they are not the target of any criticism.

That having been said, the Crossmen will probably max out at tenth place and they have an extremely outside shot of going home Friday night for the first time in fourteen years. The design staff needs to take a good hard look at major changes in their approach for next year (Molotov cocktail edited out). The difference between Magic and even Colts' visual programs and Crossmen's was night and day. Crossmen looked slow and unimaginative compared to both. Granted, the Crossmen's playing different music is part of this. However, the music Crossmen is playing could easily have been substituted for 1996. The Crossmen may have the most hummable music out there, it makes more sense than Magic or Colts, and I still love it, but - they have been doing the same thing for seven years in a row. It is time for a change - if only to stay IN finals, not even to move up.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow is the weakest link of the program. (More Molotov cocktails deleted.) As a former judge who happened to be sitting next to me in New Jersey said to me, "They start with an off-the-line - but it's a ballad." The only thing it does is introduce the "Colors" theme, which is nicely translated throughout the show with different tops for the guard over a grey bodysuit. These were changed while other stuff was going on, so that the newbies behind me were like, "When did they change?" The final flags combine all the colors, so that's cool. The drumline is the best they've had in years and is well featured. I am very pleased with the new ending, which now builds far more logically into the park and wail section at the very end of the show.

Granted, they did not have a great show tonight and maybe that's why Magic gained. There were a few drops in the CG and some tosses that just did not come down at the same time. The drill at the end still needs to be cleaned. But I can't help but think that there is something more that could be done with Crossmen - something that would grab everyone's imagination. (Incendiary remark deleted.) They have a good hornline. They have a good drumline. They have a decent colorguard, but they have a show that can only go so far.

Close on a high note - the traditions that Crossmen maintain warm my heart. They still carry the same flag which we carried to rehearsals and planted on the stands every day in 92 and under which we marched into Madison. They still march off the field hand in hand. The snares have skulls-and-crossbones painted on their sound reflectors or whatever they call the thing under the snare drum. And I can't wait to see Bones on Saturday night. That is, if I'm still allowed to acknowledge myself as an alumnus after being so critical. God bless you, Crossmen, and prove me wrong.

Hey Chip,

Good review!!

You can thank Gary Cuzzocrea for continuing the traditions of the Crossmen (flag, locked hands in review, etc.) We've all learned a lot from Gary as a result of his continued participation with the home team!

(I even have an .mp3 of the scores being announced from 8th - 6th place in 1992 made on a handheld cassette recorder -- priceless!)

The corps will have some things to consider in the future -- I think most of us know that. So, we will enjoy the rest of the season, play and march as well as we can, and talk in the fall. . . like everyone else.

Chuck Naffier

CROSSMEN, sponsored by YEA!  I am much more familiar with the next two shows, as I have heard them on recordings several times and seen Crossmen once.  Therefore, my reviews of these shows will be longer.  Before I launch into this, let me say that I am always harder on Crossmen than any other corps, because they were my corps.  The usual disclaimers apply: the members, I know, are working hard, and they are not the target of any criticism. 

That having been said, the Crossmen will probably max out at tenth place and they have an extremely outside shot of going home Friday night for the first time in fourteen years.  The design staff needs to take a good hard look at major changes in their approach for next year (Molotov cocktail edited out).  The difference between Magic and even Colts' visual programs and Crossmen's was night and day.  Crossmen looked slow and unimaginative compared to both.  Granted, the Crossmen's playing different music is part of this.  However, the music Crossmen is playing could easily have been substituted for 1996.  The Crossmen may have the most hummable music out there, it makes more sense than Magic or Colts, and I still love it, but - they have been doing the same thing for seven years in a row.  It is time for a change - if only to stay IN finals, not even to move up.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow is the weakest link of the program.  (More Molotov cocktails deleted.)  As a former judge who happened to be sitting next to me in New Jersey said to me, "They start with an off-the-line - but it's a ballad."  The only thing it does is introduce the "Colors" theme, which is nicely translated throughout the show with different tops for the guard over a grey bodysuit.  These were changed while other stuff was going on, so that the newbies behind me were like, "When did they change?"  The final flags combine all the colors, so that's cool.  The drumline is the best they've had in years and is well featured.  I am very pleased with the new ending, which now builds far more logically into the park and wail section at the very end of the show. 

Granted, they did not have a great show tonight and maybe that's why Magic gained.  There were a few drops in the CG and some tosses that just did not come down at the same time.  The drill at the end still needs to be cleaned.  But I can't help but think that there is something more that could be done with Crossmen - something that would grab everyone's imagination. (Incendiary remark deleted.)  They have a good hornline.  They have a good drumline.  They have a decent colorguard, but they have a show that can only go so far. 

Close on a high note - the traditions that Crossmen maintain warm my heart.  They still carry the same flag which we carried to rehearsals and planted on the stands every day in 92 and under which we marched into Madison.  They still march off the field hand in hand.  The snares have skulls-and-crossbones painted on their sound reflectors or whatever they call the thing under the snare drum.  And I can't wait to see Bones on Saturday night.  That is, if I'm still allowed to acknowledge myself as an alumnus after being so critical.  God bless you, Crossmen, and prove me wrong.

Hey Chip,

Good review!!

You can thank Gary Cuzzocrea for continuing the traditions of the Crossmen (flag, locked hands in review, etc.) We've all learned a lot from Gary as a result of his continued participation with the home team!

(I even have an .mp3 of the scores being announced from 8th - 6th place in 1992 made on a handheld cassette recorder -- priceless!)

The corps will have some things to consider in the future -- I think most of us know that. So, we will enjoy the rest of the season, play and march as well as we can, and talk in the fall. . . like everyone else.

Chuck Naffier

Where can we hear this MP3???

Congrats on your more than excellent review! :)

I'd vote for you in the "Best 2003 Review" contest -- if I had a vote. B)

Thank you very much for your time and effort. This is IMO one of the best reviews I've ever read (including my own). It has interest, emotion, content -- all the good stuff that I like. :beer::beer::huh: :P B)

Hey Chip,

Good review!!

You can thank Gary Cuzzocrea for continuing the traditions of the Crossmen (flag, locked hands in review, etc.)  We've all learned a lot from Gary as a result of his continued participation with the home team!

The corps will have some things to consider in the future -- I think most of us know that.  So, we will enjoy the rest of the season, play and march as well as we can, and talk in the fall. . . like everyone else.

Chuck Naffier

Chuck,

Thanks for your kind words. I also would love to hear that mp3. I'm assuming it's from on the field?

Say hi to Gary for me if you get the chance and remember with all the other stuff going on.

Good luck Sat. night at Allentown and during championships week.

Hey Chip,

AWESOME review! You know your stuff and it shows! Made me feel like I was on the 50 in the catbird's seat.

Many thanks for your efforts - they ARE appreciated!