My take did not suck

I think it was important to make it an issue because his tweet was perpetuating this thought process, especially to those who follow Jim Rome. By ignoring this thought process by someone who is influential in the sports medium, it allows this type behavior to continue which could lead to bullying, and discouragement of young people to take on music. It was important that a stand was taken.

Yeah, Rome trolls with the best of them for sure. His clones run the spectrum, and there are enough meat heads who would blindly follow his negative, cliched anti-band bile. Marching band and music organizations were very quick to respond (including Army and Marine bands, U of Texas band that featured a football player, etc) and Rome was quick to pull his response. Rome knows how to get attention, so he accomplished his goal of grabbing headlines at a time when he was likely on break and all the talk was SEC West failing in the college bowl games/playoffs. I got a kick out of people very quickly jumping in to defend band, and Rome was wise to quickly retract his opinion. Curious to see what he said this morning on air, if anything, about all of this

Rack me. I'm out.

http://wp.me/pHgBd-Dx

:ninja:

Hey Gadget - did you happen to catch Bill Maher last Friday? He had one of his "New Rules" dedicated to abusing Jim Rome's tweet about band "geeks/dorks, etc".. and definitely made some points about how idiotic he is.. - After all, folks should remember when Rome made numerous "freudian" references to Jim Everett, former Rams QB..Called him "Chris" on his national TV show - and "Chris" nearly took him out during the interview..

Can't say Rome has really had much between the ears, except for all of those snarky comments he's made over the years!!!

Pat

Hey Gadget - did you happen to catch Bill Maher last Friday? He had one of his "New Rules" dedicated to abusing Jim Rome's tweet about band "geeks/dorks, etc".. and definitely made some points about how idiotic he is.. - After all, folks should remember when Rome made numerous "freudian" references to Jim Everett, former Rams QB..Called him "Chris" on his national TV show - and "Chris" nearly took him out during the interview..

Can't say Rome has really had much between the ears, except for all of those snarky comments he's made over the years!!!

Pat

I may have to find the Maher clip and check that out. He's snarky, too, but he makes intelligent observations, at least sometimes.

I may have to find the Maher clip and check that out. He's snarky, too, but he makes intelligent observations, at least sometimes.

I saw what he said and I don't understand who his sarcasm was being directed to. I can't watch him for very long (unless he has Neil Degrasse Tyson as a guest).

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 1

Here's the Bill Maher clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hizEB8dkJX8

But he's dissing MB by agreeing with Rome's original tweet, so it hardly helps.

He also says, "And while we're on the subject, everyone in the marching band who's not playing the trumpet or the drums can stay home because no one can hear you." I believe I've heard the same sentiment on these forums. Someone should tell him about DCI. Then again, maybe not...

Edited by Pete Freedman
  • Like 1

I saw what he said and I don't understand who his sarcasm was being directed to. I can't watch him for very long (unless he has Neil Degrasse Tyson as a guest).

I could listen to Neil Degrasse Tyson for hours...even if he were to be interviewed by a pork chop (not that there's much of a difference between Jim Rome and a pork chop...).

Edited by HornTeacher

Here's the Bill Maher clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hizEB8dkJX8

But he's dissing MB by agreeing with Rome's original tweet, so it hardly helps.

He also says, "And while we're on the subject, everyone in the marching band who's not playing the trumpet or the drums can stay home because no one can hear you." I believe I've heard the same sentiment on these forums. Someone should tell him about DCI. Then again, maybe not...

Pete - THAT'S the part I liked...It's kinda like telling the bandos that WW can't be heard in the open spaces..At least it was trumpets and drums!!

Sorry - old fahrt tirade about all that attempting to have the Drum Corps "experience"... without some assistance..usually by virtue of electronics.

Pat

I could listen to Neil Degrasse Tyson for hours...even if he were to be interviewed by a pork chop (not that there's much of a difference between Jim Rome and a pork chop...).

Me too. He always manages to make whatever he is talking about so interesting.