The 10 Biggest Stories in the Age of DCI (1972-Present)

As I sat here today, reading through everything on DCP that I could while in the midst of mind-altering flu, it occurred to me that a great topic for a book (though it wouldn't rival those of Stephen King in either sales or readership, I am most sure) would be "The 10 Biggest Stories In The Age Of DCI (1972-2015)." Would it be of a limited readership? Most assuredly. But still...fun, nevertheless.

In lieu of an actual book, I thought that it might lend great discussion while many of us are shoveling our way out of a winter's worth of snow, eagerly awaiting the resumption of that which we hold very dear within our collective hearts. As intimidating as it might be for an admitted novice of the activity, I'll begin the discussion with some possible chapter ideas. And for you experienced folk...please notice that I did attach "novice" to my personal qualifications. These are not submitted in any order or importance...but merely done so as they (individually) pop into my head. These wouldn't necessarily be of individual-year results, but rather of a general, historically-based nature. (One final caveat: if this already exists somewhere within the DCP universe, please excuse my ignorance.) And while a "History of Drum and Bugle Corps" has already been rendered, this would concentrate more on individual stories -- and not on a progression of circumstances.

10. (As a background) The Creation of Drum Corps International

9. The untimely death of Jim Ott

8. The advent of non-linear Drill (this one probably breaks my "non-progression" caveat, I'll admit)

7. To Bb or not to Bb: the inclusion of three-valved Brass

6. 1979 -- A scoring nightmare (those who are familiar will know what I'm talking about)

5. When DCI Kissed Your Sister (The Championship ties of 1996, 1999, and 2000)

4. The untimely death of George Zingali

3. A Shooting Star: The rapid ascension and demise of Star of Indiana

2. Take Care of This House: The Age of Lucas Oil Stadium as a Permanent Finals Fixture

1. 2014: When Near-Perfection Took On New Meaning

Edited by HornTeacher

The (attempted) Mutiny of the Bounty(ful)

Crap, Garfield...that's the one that got my mind going on this in the first place. Thank You!!!! (And I love your title...certainly much, much better than anything I would have come up with.!)

Edited by HornTeacher

To Administrators:

I suddenly realized that this thread could be considered to be a plagiarized idea of sagemode67's "Highlight of Finals Night" thread. I do not wish to cheat upon his (or her) idea. Therefore, in the interest of both educational and publication ethics, would you please close and eliminate this thread upon your earliest convenience? Thank you for your consideration and action.

Edited by HornTeacher