Top 5 Guards - Atlanta

Hey all,

I was at a BBQ yesterday so only got to see the top 5 last night. My impressions (guard focused as usual). Once again, these are my opinions, etc....etc...etc...and I try to give a reasonable explanation to back up my thoughts :smile:

Vanguard

Love how the nuances are really starting to come through. Still think the opener flag is too dark and they need to fix those timing issues as the flags come out 2 by 2 after the big opener hit. Not sure why the solo dancer uses a piece of material while the guy dances with a chair in the ballad (not sure how it connects with the rest of the theme). The ending will be awesome once they can clean it a bit more. A couple of baubles last night (like drops on that one handed sabre catch) probably didn't help, but I would have had them in 4th place guard wise.

Bluecoats

So much better than last week. Definitely a more confident run this week. The flag work is super intricate I don't think there's a plane they don't hit ans they are becoming super clean - so a real clarity in performance. Weapon book needs to clean up to the same level as the flag line at this point though. Love how the equipment work really reflects the music (not an easy task). Are the yellow headbands new ? I just really noticed them last night for some reason. Overall, I would have had them 3rd last night.

Cadets

They have really cleaned up - so that's a big plus. But as I watch everyone more and more, I feel that Cadets guard is the one that adds the least to the overall production. If I take the guard out of the other top 5 shows - the overall production will be lacking. I don't find that happening with Cadets. Still find the opening of the show strange with the rifles just doing drill up front with no equipment work and I hate repeating myself - but the hoops and sticks do not work - at all - on any level. I did really like the flag work from the French Horn section to the end of the show. Still not sure what the little boxes add to the overall effect when guard people climb on them. Would have had them 5th or 6th in guard.

Blue Devils

I think I figured out last night why they aren't doing it for me this year. Most of the "heavy lifting" equipment wise is being done by the guys on the rifle line. Notice that they are almost always front and center and they are the ones doing the intricate work while the girls (sabre and flag) are relegated to secondary performers. Sabre line was not tight last night - seemed really nervous from the opening toss on. I still really enjoy how the writing for this group is so different from everything else out there and their unique musical interpretation, but the overuse of the male weapon line as the focus and the fact that the guard can reset a form and spin in place with no connection or transitional work - makes me not like the overall design aspect. Love the member performance though. Would have had them 2nd last night

Crown

What more can I say. Such an intricate show performed at such a high quality - it's insane. From the opening flag toss caught behind the leg, to the rifle tosses coming out from under the banner, to the exquisite weapon technique to the awesome staging and toss effects of fire blankets and rifles to the closing gold flag work - this show has it all. I think the advantage should go to Crown over Devils as the members are challenged from the opening note of the show until the very end. A lot of effects are built around tosses and exchanges that need to be perfect in order to create the desired effect and the demand in terms of body / drill / equipment is relentless. Great job - once again - last night. And that girl who does the rifles solo is my new standard - she is simply awesome !!!!! Obviously I had them 1st - and I don't think it should be any other way.

Later,

Mike

Edited by Guardguy89
  • Like 2

Cadets

They have really cleaned up - so that's a big plus. But as I watch everyone more and more, I feel that Cadets guard is the one that adds the least to the overall production. If I take the guard out of the other top 5 shows - the overall production will be lacking. I don't find that happening with Cadets. Still find the opening of the show strange with the rifles just doing drill up from with no equipment work and I hate repeating myself - but the hoops and sticks do not work - at all - on any level. I did really like the flag work from the French Horn section to the end of the show. Still not sure what the little boxes add to the overall effect when guard people climb on them. Would have had them 5th or 6th in guard.

Another outstanding guard review, Mike! I highlighted what I believe to be your best observation. Long, long ago, I was a guard member. These days, guard is much more critical than before. I can tell you understand the 'trade.' Make a few bucks on a staff someplace, unless maybe. . . .

• Like 1

I so agree with this sentiment. Cadet's guard is competent and talented but take them out the show and you wouldn't really miss them. Imagine BD or Crown without their guard?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I was at a BBQ yesterday so only got to see the top 5 last night. My impressions (guard focused as usual). Once again, these are my opinions, etc....etc...etc...and I try to give a reasonable explanation to back up my thoughts :smile:

Vanguard

Love how the nuances are really starting to come through. Still think the opener flag is too dark and they need to fix those timing issues as the flags come out 2 by 2 after the big opener hit. Not sure why the solo dancer uses a piece of material while the guy dances with a chair in the ballad (not sure how it connects with the rest of the theme). The ending will be awesome once they can clean it a bit more. A couple of baubles last night (like drops on that one handed sabre catch) probably didn't help, but I would have had them in 4th place guard wise.

Bluecoats

So much better than last week. Definitely a more confident run this week. The flag work is super intricate I don't think there's a plane they don't hit ans they are becoming super clean - so a real clarity in performance. Weapon book needs to clean up to the same level as the flag line at this point though. Love how the equipment work really reflects the music (not an easy task). Are the yellow headbands new ? I just really noticed them last night for some reason. Overall, I would have had them 3rd last night.

Cadets

They have really cleaned up - so that's a big plus. But as I watch everyone more and more, I feel that Cadets guard is the one that adds the least to the overall production. If I take the guard out of the other top 5 shows - the overall production will be lacking. I don't find that happening with Cadets. Still find the opening of the show strange with the rifles just doing drill up front with no equipment work and I hate repeating myself - but the hoops and sticks do not work - at all - on any level. I did really like the flag work from the French Horn section to the end of the show. Still not sure what the little boxes add to the overall effect when guard people climb on them. Would have had them 5th or 6th in guard.

Blue Devils

I think I figured out last night why they aren't doing it for me this year. Most of the "heavy lifting" equipment wise is being done by the guys on the rifle line. Notice that they are almost always front and center and they are the ones doing the intricate work while the girls (sabre and flag) are relegated to secondary performers. Sabre line was not tight last night - seemed really nervous from the opening toss on. I still really enjoy how the writing for this group is so different from everything else out there and their unique musical interpretation, but the overuse of the male weapon line as the focus and the fact that the guard can reset a form and spin in place with no connection or transitional work - makes me not like the overall design aspect. Love the member performance though. Would have had them 2nd last night

Crown

What more can I say. Such an intricate show performed at such a high quality - it's insane. From the opening flag toss caught behind the leg, to the rifle tosses coming out from under the banner, to the exquisite weapon technique to the awesome staging and toss effects of fire blankets and rifles to the closing gold flag work - this show has it all. I think the advantage should go to Crown over Devils as the members are challenged from the opening note of the show until the very end. A lot of effects are built around tosses and exchanges that need to be perfect in order to create the desired effect and the demand in terms of body / drill / equipment is relentless. Great job - once again - last night. And that girl who does the rifles solo is my new standard - she is simply awesome !!!!! Obviously I had them 1st - and I don't think it should be any other way.

Later,

Mike

Congrats to the crown guard for winning the guard caption last night. Completely deserved IMHO. This marks the first time the blue devils haven't won this caption every night of the 3 night championships since 2007. Regardless if crown actually wins the guard caption after 3 nights, this feat alone is historic. It breaks what is certainly the longest winning streak of any caption in dci history I think. Does anyone out there have facts on this I am curious.

Congrats to the crown guard for winning the guard caption last night. Completely deserved IMHO. This marks the first time the blue devils haven't won this caption every night of the 3 night championships since 2007. Regardless if crown actually wins the guard caption after 3 nights, this feat alone is historic. It breaks what is certainly the longest winning streak of any caption in dci history I think. Does anyone out there have facts on this I am curious.

Two more nights Crown guard !!