Equal Advantage Scoring

Schnitzel ,

Thank you for your careful explanation. Striving for the most equitable system of adjudication should be a constant effort. This change appears to be a good one, again, assuming the judges are properly focused just within the caption, and without prejudice. That's not guaranteed, and can never be, unfortunately. But, exceptions are very rare, I believe.

• Like 1

Here's a follow-up question . . . .

How does the Chief Judge enter into the new format?

In other words, if we assume he/she witnessed a violation during a performance (yes, like 2014) does he/she immediately write it down, record it someplace, then later have the option to erase that determination after thinking everything over?

Note: I believe Tom Argy demonstrated high integrity and great courage in holding to what he believed, despite knowing the huge ramifications. I hope he's available to serve in the same role this year.

Depending on the rule, there may be judges discretion as to the amount of penalty levied. There is that I know of any options for them to go back and change

White Sabers drum line and front ensemble are very good. I would not doubt seeing them in the top 5 this year. These kids play all year long in winter percussion performance groups from NJ to Ohio.

VOReason I am sick of you having you say something negative every time someone mentions the Empire Statesmen. There was a time that your beloved team could not come within 10 points of the Statesmen. That is when I was there. You had to be pretty darned good to beat us back then.

If the Statesmen were so bad, why then at this time corps are calling ES staffers to come in and help them get better?

Tweeeeeeet

Flag on the play. Illegal use of logic and historical data. Loss of vibrato, repeat first down

• Like 3

The questions I had about White Sabers' percussion section were answered for me as they entered the field for set-up. Hadn't seen the corps before this season but knew it was scoring well, so at least one component had to be pretty solid, I thought.

BOOM! There it was . . . . percussion. They looked intense, sounded tight, and had a certain 'tone' quality that said 'This ain't no high school outfit!'

I'm no musician, but that's one fine group. Add-in a surprisingly proficient brass ensemble, and White Sabers are a real threat to someone new at Rochester.

Congratulations.

The questions I had about White Sabers' percussion section were answered for me as they entered the field for set-up. Hadn't seen the corps before this season but knew it was scoring well, so at least one component had to be pretty solid, I thought.

BOOM! There it was . . . . percussion. They looked intense, sounded tight, and had a certain 'tone' quality that said 'This ain't no high school outfit!'

I'm no musician, but that's one fine group. Add-in a surprisingly proficient brass ensemble, and White Sabers are a real threat to someone new at Rochester.

Congratulations.

WS percussion scoring is a thing of beauty. Huge battery but balanced so well with the brass... Dynamic shaping galore and not just licks for the sake of licks

• Like 1

Remember judge your sheet. If I recall, C2 had a decent spread in Bucs guard at downingtown. So the spread in guard looking at that sheet alone could be justified.

The spread in guard between C2 and Bucs at Dtown was .1 and only .4 in VEns and and the same for VEff. Just based on the Scranton recap the spreads are not commensurate to the corresponding visual captions. C2 was 1.2 over Cabs in guard while Cabs were .3 over them in VEns and and .5 over in VEff. If Cabs guard was as atrocious as the spread would have you believe, you'd think the VEns caption alone would also reflect that as well no?

• Like 2

The spreads don't have to line up perfectly. Guard and VA are looking at different things than effect. Don't believe me, look at the recaps for Crown who were right there in guard and effect but not VA

• Like 1

Kind of like the blind wise men who were looking at the elephant at different points and reaching different conclusions about what an Elephant must be. Judges are looking at different parts of the elephant and evaluating only that portion. There is *some* overlap of what parts of the elephant they're examining, but not as much as you'd think. :satisfied:

If there was a lockstep correlation/ordinal/rating, why have one caption or the other? :satisfied:

Kind of like the blind wise men who were looking at the elephant at different points and reaching different conclusions about what an Elephant must be. Judges are looking at different parts of the elephant and evaluating only that portion. There is *some* overlap of what parts of the elephant they're examining, but not as much as you'd think. :satisfied:

If there was a lockstep correlation/ordinal/rating, why have one caption or the other? :satisfied:

I'm not questioning placement in that particular caption. I am questioning a 1.2 spread in one caption that clearly decided the outcome of the show where it doesn't seem to weigh in equally in the other visual captions. 1.2 tells me a complete breakdown in performance. C2 was down in guard to Cabs both in Lynn and in Clifton by .9 respectively. A guard who has been that proficient even on a bad night wouldn't have suffered that sever of a breakdown unless they went on strike and sat down through the entire performance and no way that wouldn't have trickled down in the other captions as well even just a little.

• Like 1

Well that's why there's another show this week. Of course....gasp....some corps could have made some big changes and done some severe cleaning since shows a month ago

• Like 1