Saving travel costs for audition camps and tours

set up a savings account that has its own separate debit card and checks and put $50-$60 into it each pay period. (or whatever you have estimated for fees and summer money [total amount divided by 28 weeks] will tell you what you have to put in every week). keep that card and checks out of your wallet and away from your eyes so you don't use it to spend it on anything else. and make sure you have your pay check auto deposit it straight into that account so it's like you don't even have that money to use.

book all tickets weeks ahead, use kayak to alert you to the best fares.

research all the travel options with a few hours drive in case flights are cheaper there. yes, sometimes spending an extra $20 in gas will save you $200-$300 in airfare.

contact all your local lions, kiwanis, and other clubs in case they can help with sponsorship. download scholarship letter templates and write some really nice letters about what you get from this experience, and offer them a way to earn it. cooking, cleaning, painting...etc.

and one last idea... which worked for me as a high schooler raising funds to march, christmas is coming. malls, walmarts, and other local stores will let brass quartets or carolers play/sing outside or hire you to play inside on weekends. this is easy money. i've done it myself. get a small group together, buy the cheap carol books, and play, play play. weekends are long and grueling, but people often donate to things if you're out earning it. but you have to ask management.

happy fund raising.

• Like 1

Good post, Chris.

Just saw this too and it's for winter dates. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jetblue-flash-sale_56262b8de4b02f6a900db83d?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Note that Friday and Sundays aren't included. Maybe arrive early and fly back after camp chores are done.

Edited by xandandl

I traveled from my University to camps a considerable distance away-rather than flying all the way, I took a Greyhound from Gainesville to Atlanta, then flew Southwest to Denver... roundtrip was close to $175 when booked at least a month a head of time, significantly cheaper than flying the entire distance... I think my first camp I payed nearly $500 to fly from Gainesville to Denver...

ouch. i used to carpool with a cymbal player who went to Kentucky with me, and we stopped in Cincy to pick up another guy usually. We also had two guys from alabama who would meet us on the way up to drive caravan with. i never flew until move ins. it was just too much.

we had guys who drove from El Paso all the way up to madison. two days up, and two days back. because flights just weren't affordable.