Matinee Performances?

As the "screws are tightened" on the summer DCA circuit, it's time to consider new ways to maximize weekend earnings. Can you see benefit for BOTH show sponsor and competing corps by . . . .

offering an additional Afternoon Show to event sponsors at a reduced price per corps?

Let's say, a 2-4PM event, followed by a 7-9PM event, BOTH events in same stadium, featuring same corps. Crowd at each could be smaller than typical crowd at just one evening event but, added together, could produce a greater overall attendance.

Benefits to such a day could include . . . .

an additional (but smaller) performance fee to corps for also participating during the afternoon.

a greater chance of prime Center Section seating for the audience.

more promotional flexibility for local sponsor.

possibly 2 separate purchases by many "devoted regular DCA fans."

Works when the circus comes to town!

Let's discuss while we wait a little longer for scores.

Pro: Additinal chance to see some corps

Con: would a day-night show split the audience?

Con: reduced rehearsal time affects quality of performance

This year my corps has one weekend where we have a Saturday night and Sunday afternoon show. It's cool to have an additional performance (even if it is during the day) but the drag is that most corps get the majority of thier work done on Sunday. I don't mind the occasional second show, but if it becomes the norm it's bad in the long run.

I wish it was realistic to run the occasional Friday night show, but that's nigh impossible.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

John -

Splitting the audience could mean two, distinctly different audiences. Youth groups during the day, for example. That might be a good thing! An afternoon event would also provide news footage for the early evening local news broadcast, possibly enticing new fans to the night show. Something to talk about, I think.

Didn't some shows in past days have afternoon prelims, finals at night ? Also a parade in the morning to pass out flyers and make people aware of the evening show. I really don't think that today there is a large enough interest to get two groups in to watch a show. Most of the crowd are former marchers, involved with marching band, have an interest in the sponsor (ie JCs, Legion, school boosters) or friends family and coworkers of MMs. I think the folks that are going to come are going to come but I really don't see a crowd of new fans coming because the show is early. However I was wrong once(back in 4th grade).

However I was wrong once(back in 4th grade).

So... you're saying you haven't finished 4th grade yet? :tongue:

• Like 1

I remember having a few weekends heaving 2 shows. One Sat, night and one Sunday afternoon. But, in all case's the shows were in different towns. It also seems that the night shows had more and better Corps. For instance. Sat Night in Newark(NJ) Schools Stadium. (B.Sac, Garfield, Lucy's, St. Pat's, Bridgeport PAL - St. Brendan's) Then the next afternoon in Brick, NJ in the Afternoon.(B.Sac, Garfield, Vesella Muskateers, Pensauken Vagabond's, Braken Cavaliers, Fairlawn PAL, Neptune Shoreliners,) Contest's about 50 miles apart.

Then also remember there would be 2 or three shows both Sat night and in the afternoon shows to choose from with in 60 miles or so from Asbury Park, NJ.

Boy they were the Day's, back then. (in and around the '60s and '70s)

Edited by 2B or not 2B