1985 Phantom Regiment

This is one Phantom show that I hardly ever see talked about, so I decided to start a thread. I remember the first show of the season in '85. Phantom was a mess...a big sloppy disasterous mess. Why wouldn't they be, considering what a difficult show this was? At finals, Phantom was a huge, big, powerful, dazzling, and emotional package that just knocked my socks off and wowed me! I couldn't believe the extent to which they improved over the course of the season! The music is still my favorite that I've ever heard on the field. It was awesome! BUT - I feel it is rarely talked about for the simple fact that it got 8th place. I would bet this will always be my favorite PR show.

I have loved everything the Regiment has ever done. Maybe it's because by the time I was in 7th grade, I was listening to classical music. I don't care what position the Phantom Regiment takes, they're always the best in my book. I, too, saw the Regiment in June that year, just before I went to England to instruct over there for awhile. I thought, "Yipes, what happened?" Thankfully, they wowed me at DCI that year--not the cleanest Regiment I had ever seen, but one of the most improved during a season. And that's what a corps needs to do--improve. I think if they had had one or two more weeks, they would have been much higher in the placings, but then, that's true for many. Anyway, yes, I loved the show, I love Berlioz, and I still love the Phantom Regiment.

Bob Blomberg

Geneseo Knights, '79-'83

Phantom Regiment Support Staff, '86-'00

Kilties, '01-'02

Student (again), '02-??

• Like 1

As a marching member of the 1985 Phantom Regiment - it is always nice to hear good things about this show. I was a rookie as were many, many people that year. The show WAS very hard and I remember some judge telling us at our first show in Harvard, IL that we were going to be in for a long season!

We had many problems (as do most corps, I am sure) throughout the season including many bus breakdowns and lack of staff on tour. We never gave up, though and we even wanted to give up our free days on tour so that we could practice (our staff MADE us have free days).

By finals week - we were really hoping to make the top five (and the broadcast). There were drill moves that had never worked all season that were finally coming together that last week! John Brazale was around that last week and could not believe his difficult drill was actually - finally - being performed!!

I still think the whole Berloiz show was great - and I would not mind seeing it done again in Rockford!!

Rex Rukavina

PR Soprano '85

• Like 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again now.

This is one of my favorite Phantom shows of all time!! I don't feel it got the respect it deserved.

It's also the ONLY DCI show that got me to go out and by a recording of the original music!

I also wouldn't mind seeing this one done again. Along with Spartacus!!

We jokingly referred to PR as playing "Symphony Mediocre" at the beginning of the season in '85 :P. They were barely getting through the musical book and the drill was a nightmare in spots.

By the end of the season- Holy Guano, Batman!! ^OO^ They were truly playing and marching "Symphony Fantastique" what a great show! :beer:

"Symphony Mediocre" - not THAT is funny. I think they lost to Scouts by like 12 points in the early season and it was like WHOA. I remembered from the year before that Phantom was always beating Scouts. Of course, we in the Jr. Scouts were so happy. That was one tough show and I give them snaps for the evolution that took place during the season. It is definitely THE most under-rated show IMHO and the best show Rockford has ever put out.

It's nice to hear from a marching member. I love playing that show. It would have been 5th place, if not for the problem that Spirit, Suncoast, and Cavies were pretty #### good too.

FYI - Jan was one of the coolest members I met that year! She made everyone feel like they were really part of a family.

I wonder what happened to our wonderful DM (Marcia Hansen). Anyone know?!

Rex Rukavina

'85 PR Soprano

You know she just got married, right> SCDreamer's the hubby!

When SoCal Dream did the Glendora show this year, Phantom was there (drool....SERIOUS drool!), so Jan - who is in Dream's guard - went out to the retreat line with me. When we came out for our salute, we did the PR kick halt, just to see if anyone would get the reference. 'Course, I also did my own version of the baton pull when we started the performance (thanks to Garry Parker's suggestion), which got a few laughs.

She STILL wouldn't tell me what SUTA means...but I only asked to get the wuestion out of the way!

I liked PR's '85 show except for the drum solo...Not only was it out of their idiom, it seemed as though it was thrown together at the last minute to "fit" the show.