Pilgrim D&BC of VA (info?)

DCP doesn't have a non-DCI/DCA section so putting it here in the most traffic area.

Have to download the pic but at the Applebys in Harrisonburg, VA (long story) and see a parade pic hanging up. After we eat I go over and see a small group behind a banner saying "Pilgrim Drum & Bugle Corps". Just a few members and google keeps taking me to the Philippines so anyone have any idea who this might be? Any James Madison Univ Alumni who know the local stuff?

And if anyone would know it would be you Brian... Front Royal about an hour or so away up I-81....

Will have to post the pic.....too bad I have no idea if the parade was in Harrisonburg....

• Like 1

Corps was started by Denny Blackwell. He marched with Riley Raiders and was active with the alumni corps. He pulled me in to tech the kids around 2008-09... Pilgrim was mostly to give local kids a positive outlet, mostly just performing parades and in local churches. Loved those kids... we'd have to drive them home every Monday night from the church after rehearsal. He and his church bought a bunch of Kanstul G bugles themselves. They used rope drums and were strictly rudimental. Denny was a great encouragement for me in my early years as a band director. Pilgrim is what music education is all about... wasn't about DCI or DCA or anything like that. Virtue and hard work were their own reward with those kids.

Not sure what he or the corps are up to now. He talked about starting a corps in Front Royal, and teched Skyline high school drumline before Rick Yeakle retired.

Thanks for bringing all that back. Need to call Denny and see how he's doing ☺

• Like 2

And yes, the corps was based in Harrisonburg. There are many brass and percussion alumni who have put in time to work with those kids. 😃

• Like 1

NOW I find something worth while in Harrisonburg LOL..... Went down because my mother in law graduated High School there in the late 40s (now JMUs Memorial Hall). Found and went thru the school but historical society (based in Dayton) could find NO record that they ever lived there (????). So my wifes first trip to her moms old area turned into a big mystery. But at least I know what the Pilgrim pic is about....

And my dad is a bulldog lover so go Dukes.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1