SCV and BD in top 2...really?!!

12 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Although, the way it is judged is subjective.Mostly leaning toward body movements = huge GE, when they are relatively easier demand and physicality wise. As I and your video have proven. As another poster said, they also only translate well from certain perspectives.

In reply to the bold part: bears do indeed #### in the woods, yes.

though I do want to point out that the player who was showcased in the video did have solos for the first few minutes so you did not get to see any of the drill the rest of the corps was performing. 

14 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Smart design in relevance to the sheets and BD fans. Not nearly as difficult or effective as credit being given.

Or... smart design in general? There's nothing stopping other corps from taking the same approach. As you said, difficult work is being performed by one section, another takes a break while a different section performs difficult work and becomes the visual focus. It is a different approach than SCV which emphasizes the whole ensemble all the time. Regardless of the approach, difficult work is being done by each section throughout the show. 

You cant get rewarded for difficulty if you aren't performing it to its full potential. There's a reason why content numbers steadily increase throughout the season for every corps: as a corps get cleaner, the transitions, forms, etc are more evident to the judges and can get rewarded for the difficulty they deserve. 

When I watch high cam and multicam videos of SCV online, I see inconsistencies in marching technique, inconsistent intervals, and fuzzy transitions when the book asks for something more concrete. 

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

In reply to the bold part: bears do indeed #### in the woods, yes.

though I do want to point out that the player who was showcased in the video did have solos for the first few minutes so you did not get to see any of the drill the rest of the corps was performing. 

It's 80% while not playing (half of that is 8 to 5's at 110 BPM in a straight line and stopping to do body movements). I've seen the drill far more than the perspective of the soloist, that's why I was more interested in seeing the POV cam. It only reinforced my personal experience though. He frac'd just as many times marching forward at an 8 to 5 stride as he did making body movements... I'd love to see him playing at a 4 to 5, but it doesn't happen...

28 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Smart design in relevance to the sheets and BD fans. Not nearly as difficult or effective as credit being given.

If you don't like it, go whine to your favorite corps director to lobby for changes to the system. If your arguement is that BD wins because they know the system, and SCV loses because they don't, who is really the problem here?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Or... smart design in general? There's nothing stopping other corps from taking the same approach. As you said, difficult work is being performed by one section, another takes a break while a different section performs difficult work and becomes the visual focus. It is a different approach than SCV which emphasizes the whole ensemble all the time. Regardless of the approach, difficult work is being done by each section throughout the show. 

You cant get rewarded for difficulty if you aren't performing it to its full potential. There's a reason why content numbers steadily increase throughout the season for every corps: as a corps get cleaner, the transitions, forms, etc are more evident to the judges and can get rewarded for the difficulty they deserve. 

When I watch high cam and multicam videos of SCV online, I see inconsistencies in marching technique, inconsistent intervals, and fuzzy transitions when the book asks for something more concrete. 

If another corps did it, there's a pretty decent chance they don't score as high as BD does, simply because they would be imitating them. I'd love to see a corps like Crown do it though as they'd OBLITERATE them in all music captions, and probably be ripped in the GE department.

As far as your last point, at nightbeat there were SEVERAL moments in the Devil's show in which intervals weren't consistent, lines were not straight and transitions were fuzzy. Yet, they somehow made a .10 improvement visually over Atlanta the night before, which looked to be a much cleaner performance from that standpoint. Meanwhile, SCV who had a cleaner performance at nightbeat vs Atlanta, dropped a FULL .35 in visual. This took them from beating BD by .35 in visual, to losing by .225. A .575 SWING. Over HALF a point in ONE night... Why did this happened? Subjective judging. Guaranteed a judge that values movement over marching. Period...

That's a massive problem.

Edited by Treefidy

4 minutes ago, Everyfan said:

If you don't like it, go whine to your favorite corps director to lobby for changes to the system. If your arguement is that BD wins because they know the system, and SCV loses because they don't, who is really the problem here?

My problem isn't who knows the system better. It's a SUBJECTIVE system, and that's a major problem.

1 hour ago, Everyfan said:

Again, you won't change he system by complaining here.

I wouldn't change the system period. So my complaining shouldn't affect you. However, this is a forum for discussion of fans and alumni of the sport, which I am. Hence why I'm discussing this in this thread. Very BD fan like of you to make that comment though...

Edited by Treefidy

The last time I recall BD & SCV finishing 1-2 (or vice versa) was '81 (SCV on top), '82 (BD on top) and '86 (BD on top.) In other words it's been awhile; as a Red Team FMM I'm enjoying this season.

Fun fact:  SCV has taken 2nd at Finals 7 times, BD is at 10. 

EDITED as I forgot SCV took 2nd in 1975 so that makes 7. That one still bugged GR ten years later.

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

I wouldn't change the system period. So my complaining should affect you. However, this is a forum for discussion of fans and alumni of the sport, which I am. Hence why I'm discussing this in this thread. Very BD fan like of you to make that comment though...

What does that even mean? Sorry if I get a little sick of those that need to try to tear down the performance of others to argue why their favorite should be winning.