Marines anyone??

I wasn't it Orlando because I'm recovering from knee surgery. I did get to see all the big boys in San Antonio, so at least I got my drum corps fix in for the summer.

Here is my issue. Our director has me scouring the net looking for reviews on the Marines from Saturday night. The only thing I've found at all is a small mention off the Blue Devils' site. Did ANYONE arrive early enough to see the Marines?? If so, tell me what you thought so I can pass it on. Thanks, and hopefully you'll be seeing me back out there with them in Denver next year!

SSgt David Warner

USMC Drum and Bugle Corps

Washington DC

Cavaliers 1990-93

I haven't seen any reviews either - only a picture on the DCI website early in their coverage. They looked good in their red uniforms. I would really like to see DCI put their performance on the DVDs as an extra feature. I'd love to see and hear them.

:usa:

Ahh, the perfect opportunity to use this Smilie.

DCI finals was my second viewing of the Marines, the first being New Brunswick. I had a few impressions. HUGE sound for the size. It was a nice treat. Soloists were superb and took control of the audience. drumline was well recieved from the people around me (i'm a brass guy). The contra spin up to the shoulder got a BIG response both time i viewed the corps. I remember the mello line was INCREDIBLE. I was very pleased with the selections that were chosen. I believe it was the right mix of upbeat and relaxed.... it made a fairly long show seem too short.

on a side note.... because DCI obviously didnt plan ahead with the retreat spacing this year (with the addition of Blue stars and Esperanza) so the marines had to play about 15-20 minutes longer than expected.... I commend you for dealing with this.

That is all i can remember, maybe someone else can elaborate more.....

I hope you get your review SSgt Warner. I always enjoy watching 8th & I perform.. I was all excited when I saw the guys standing in the back stands as the corps were going out for retreat.. and then they had to keep playing.. and playing.. and playing.. didn't even start to sound tired.. just fantastic! I wish I'd seen the exhibition, too but I was on tour with Cavaliers and we didn't get to the stadium until Spirit was on the field.. I honestly only saw a couple corps perform Saturday night (though I wish it had been more)

I'll ask around some of the lurkers I know and see if anyone saw and can post a review, too.

Hope you're better soon! Take care of that knee!

Stef

Hey Dave....er....SSgt Warner, It was good to see you at the regional! I'm glad you snuck away to the 'restroom' to be able to come down onto the field during the clinic.

Anyway, my thoughts on the Marine D&B corps. It was great to see them in the stands. Reminded me of seeing them in '91 in Dallas playing in the stands with Col. Crawford.

Although, I was a little disappointed in their playing. I don't know how it sounded up in the stands, but down on the field, being at least 15 yards away, they really didn't play to 'my' standards. I know I was busy with the corps taking pictures for the website...I even took a few pics of the Marine Corps, but they didn't make the site.

The numbers, to me, seemed like they were smaller this year than they have been in the past. Thus, making them sound a bit smaller too. The quality of the playing was the normal military quality, but the quantity wasn't there. It did seem like they were holding back, but I still got that good relaxed feeling that you get while listening to a military band/corps.

Hope that gives you a little of what you wanted. You know how to find me if you need anything else!

Sluggo

Thanks, Gordon. Yeah, the numbers marching this year are down. We have a total of 85 musicians, yet only 65 in the drill. There are a number of reasons, mainly so that we can fit everyone on one plane going to a drill performance. We've had so many problems getting planes that who knows when two different flights will get in, if we can even get two planes on the same day.

It was good to see you, too, in San Antonio. I saw quite a few familiar faces, even some people I haven't seen in years.

Did you get a chance to see the Marines perform their drill show at all?

Semper Splooie!

no, I did not get the chance to see them. Wish I did though.

I remember barely seeing them perform the show waaaaaaay back in '91. It was simply amazing! Wish I would have had the chance to see them though!

Sluggo

The first time I ever saw the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps was at DCI Midwest in Whitewater in 1990 (how can I ever forget that show??). I also remember them at Finals in '91 with the fireworks and all.

I realized also, thinking about what you said about them sounding small from the field, that it's gonna happen when they are above you. For my age-out ceremony in '93, DCI had the Troopers play for us. They were so high in the stands we couldn't hear a #### thing.

I was just looking through pics last night from costume day. Bring back memories??