2018 Drum brands

19 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:

Here is 1988 - 30 years ago for those checking my math. There may be a few I might have incorrect

Madison Scouts - Yamaha
Blue Devils - Yamaha

Santa Clara Vanguard - Pearl
Cavaliers - Yamaha
Garfield Cadets - Pearl
Phantom Regiment - Pearl

Star of Indiana Premier
Spirit of Atlanta - Ludwig
Velvet Knights - Pearl
Suncoast Sound - Pearl

Bluecoats Ludwig
Sky Ryders Premier
------

Dutch Boy - Yamaha
Crossmen - Pearl
Freelancers - Pearl
Florida Wave - Pearl
Blue Knights - Pearl

Colts - Remo
Troopers - Pearl
Boston Crusaders - Ludwig
Marauders - Yamaha
L'Insolite - Pearl
Quad City Knights - Ludwig
Ventures - Pearl
Glassmen - ??
Spartans - ??

---------------------------

TOP 12
Yamaha - 3

Pearl - 5

Premier - 2

Ludwig - 2

Overall Corps
Yamaha - 5

Pearl - 12

Premier - 2

Ludwig - 4

Remo - 1

Very good. I need to go back and check 1989 or 90. They definitely had more than all others combined. I do believe Bluecoats were Pearl but I may be off by a year.

On 7/27/2018 at 9:47 AM, BlueStainGlass said:

I havent heard great things about them but of you get a good deal as an endorsement cant argue with that. I met the Dynasty rep last year in the SCV lot and can say 100% best customer service. Work with you every step of the way and check in to see if everything is working well. They even make sure that they find lower class groups at wgi to advertise them. Couldnt be happier with the product!

Dynasty has always been a great brand to work with. I think they had a couple of down years when a lot of their sponsored groups left but I had contact with them back when I was working with a PIO group in WGI. They were good to everybody. Lots of people always claimed they their drums sounded bad but I blame all of the on BD being their flagship group and I have never liked how they tuned their drums. Paul Rennick came onboard with PR and proved those drums could be made to sound good and then then took steps to help the redesign with the deep shell tenors and the new snare drum they introduced in 2012. He also introduced some subtle changes in the bass drums like bearing edge cuts and more air vents.

Their issues now are mainly the fact that their horn brand went belly up. They were once one of the biggest g bugle makers. Without horns, it is hard to get any market share in the DCI world without horns in a package deal. That is exactly why Yamaha and Mapex are the top 2 brands currently. Ludwig's new products are a million times better than the stuff they used to make and they could potentially get back in the market since that are a part of the Conn-Selmer company and their King line. Pearl (Adams Marching Brass) and Tama (Tama by Kanstul) have also tried to launch marching brass lines but those have not taken off in the USA. I can't speak for the System Blue horns but I don't particularly like the System Blue drums. I think they don't sound very good. More specifically, their tenors don't project.