Screamin' Solos

Lynkin

Well, I'm a little inexperienced with the whole DCI thing.  I've only heard a few and haven't seen them live.  But I'm just a little curious and wanted to start my first topic.  I'm so happy! :sly:

Anyway, the Blue Devils had the great trio for Night In Tunisia in '97, their soloists were great too.

Of course, I'm curious as to if all solos have to have those rippen' screaming high parts (I know they are sopranos, but still)

Let's just discuss solos as a whole, I suppose and add your faves and any other opinions.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well BD has always had just pretty #####in solos, and in drum corps high and loud is always the goal(most of the time). But not all sop solos just srceam, take Cadets 01', there is a trumpet solo twards the end and all it is, is a section of the main melody of the song, no screamin there, and SCV 99' no screamin there either. But personally i like screamin solos, especially the old school BD stuff with all the lip trills and crap, those were awesome solos.

I have known a few of these dudes in my lifetime - How's this for a lead soprano line...  Chris Metzger, Dave Tippett, Tommy Meredith, Robert "Cisco" Riviera, Dave Kisting (technical chops also), Chris Ferrara, Jeff Kievit, Greg "Harpo" Blum, Chuck Naffier, CHEZ, Larry Dastrup (no one ad libs like Larry), Art West, Jeff Preistly...All of these dudes could scream their ##### off..  and the best female screamers I have ever heard - Lynne Marcil, Beth Gieck, and the soloist in Channel One Suite from '86 Blue Devils - sorry - forgot her name.

Bonnie Ott didn't really scream - but I'll list her anyway.

and the best female screamers I have ever heard - Lynne Marcil, Beth Gieck, and the soloist in Channel One Suite from '86 Blue Devils - sorry - forgot her name.

Bonnie Ott didn't really scream - but I'll list her anyway.

hey pooh bear....i marched 3 years with Beth, not really a screamer on the soprano, but a great trumpet player, well schooled. and Diane Fashing was the other gal that solo'd in C1S. Diane was more of a screamer. i think she played the written double C's that year.

when are we gonna see you this year? we need to have some 'quality' time.

For my money two guys from Madison, Metzger from the 70's and Shaun (I believe Owens?  to many years can't remember last names) from the 80's.  Bridgemen's Jim Brady from the 70's.  Any number of the BD soloists in the 80's (never knew those guys well enough to remember names).  And two of my "lead mates" in Spirit in the 80's, Hunter Moss (Blues in the Night made him famous)  and the lesser known "screamer" from those days Mike Elam (skinny white guy in the "dueling soprano" feature from '87's Basin Street Blues").  Mike had the same if not better chops than Hunter, but never got to feature them like Hunter did due to show selection after Hunter aged out.  Mike aged out to "Petrushka" so not many opportunties to show off your scream sop soloist there.  

As for great screamin' soloists in general, don't know names but the "Everybody Loves the Blues" Bari soloist for BD in '83 was a monster.  And she only played one solo in her entire corps career (at least with us, not sure about with Kingsmen), but her solo with Spirit was a keeper.  Kelly Cahill played the bluesy Mellophone solo at the beginning of "Maybe God's Tryin' to Tell You Something" (2nd half of Spirit's exit in '86 after the hymm tune "Precious Lord").  She started the season with all of us having to work with her to "blues it up", but by the end of the summer, she "tore it up" and had the crowd eating out of her hand.  On top of that, she's one of my favorite people I"ve ever known in 20 years of drum corps.

Later, AA

Jon Schipper from Madison, Ponzo, George "sidemouth" from Sky, jeff Gibbens, joey Pero and crewq at Empire, Jeff Wilt, Keith Harris and Scott Stansfield from Westshore, of couse Jim Centorino and Richie Price....the list could go on and on.

this drummers new brass lick he listens to day in and day out....72 Bridgemen, the triple tonguing. Un####ingbelievable.