Screamin' Solos

Lynkin

Hhhmmm...screamin' solos.

The one year I played horn (Cadets 72) , many people DID start to scream when they heard me play....I know my horn instructor Don Angelica did.....

....and then they told me to play so-lo they'd not have to hear me again!

:sly:

Mike

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott Stewart marched Freelancers 88-92 and started being a soloist in '90. He moved to BD in '93 after an alleged dispute with Freelancers staff, if I remember the situation correctly.

Actually, the conflict came after he had left and joined BD.

On the last possible day to change corps (February 28th, 1993), Scott went to BD. When the staff found out about it, they went t his house to talk it out. You have to realize - the Freelancers were committed to playing a show of Bill Chase music written around Scott. Anyway, the discussion did not go well, and Scott left.

Leaving Brian the unenviable task of being Bill Chase at the age of 18. That he pulled it off so well is a testament to him, as well as to Larrie Dastrup, who worked with him quite a bit on being a soloist.

Brian was also a member of the 2001 Renegades.

Yes, I should have mentioned the wonderful coaching that Larrie Dastrup had done with Brian. The amazing progress that Brian showed over the course of the season was outstanding.

My understanding with Scott (as he and I were always pretty tight, although I haven't talked to him in about 7 years now) was that there were other issues that caused him to make that last minute switch, but I'll leave that to discussion off of the board.

My understanding with Scott was that there were other issues that caused him to make that last minute switch.

It's possible - I never heard 'em. But I was just a brass tech.

WOW. I never knew that the 93 show was written for Scott. Be that as it may, Brian did an awesome job steppin' in and filling in the superman role.

Sounds like a good story. Why didnt Scott march 94 BD?

Jon Schipper from Madison, Ponzo, George "sidemouth" from Sky, jeff Gibbens, joey Pero and crewq at Empire, Jeff Wilt, Keith Harris and Scott Stansfield from Westshore, of couse Jim Centorino and Richie Price....the list could go on and on.

I second the Centorino and Pero nominations!

Jim Centorino's triple tonguing and screaming solo in "Conquest" with the Boston Crusaders in 1970 is an all-time drum corps classic of top horn work. The leads in my corps always would try to emulate it at practices!

Joey Pero with Rochester's Empire Statesmen has amazing facility on the instrument. Listening to him, you become convinced that any note he desires to play is present on his horn. I had the pleasure of hearing him at DCA individuals and The St. Joe's Classic this April.

I think that screaming soprano solo work together with rudimental drumming are the unique hallmarks of the drum corps craft!

WOW. I never knew that the 93 show was written for Scott. Be that as it may, Brian did an awesome job steppin' in and filling in the superman role.

Sounds like a good story. Why didnt Scott march 94 BD?

Say what you will, but i believe the main reason he didn't march in 94 was karma. He kinda screwed us in 93, so it was only fitting in my opinion that he missed out on the only chance he had at a ring. He was a good friend at one time and a GREAT soloist, there is no doubt about that. I just wish he had spoken to some of his friends a bit before making such a decision. Oh well. Live and learn.

Hunter Moss (Blues in the Night made him

Speaking of Hunter Moss, and "Blues in the Night", the CorpsVets show this year might just bring back some fond memories. He's still got it. :sly:

true that...Everytime I hear him play it now, i shut my eyes and I think i'm in 84

yeah that was scott steward in bd's 95 show as soloist in the ballad and 'caribe' two of my all-time favorite sop solos.