March Madness DCI Style

Wait.... how was that tie broken? Crown and cadets both had 16 votes.

7 hours ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

Wait.... how was that tie broken? Crown and cadets both had 16 votes.

I’m not sure myself as I don’t have any controls over the polls after they’re made. My guess is that Cadets had the tying vote and since they were the last entity to be voted on between the two, they got to advance. Just my guess though. I was hoping there wouldn’t be any ties to avoid weird stuff like that but what can you do!

12 hours ago, OhioBoy_99 said:

I’m not sure myself as I don’t have any controls over the polls after they’re made. My guess is that Cadets had the tying vote and since they were the last entity to be voted on between the two, they got to advance. Just my guess though. I was hoping there wouldn’t be any ties to avoid weird stuff like that but what can you do!

Maybe the Cadets had the stronger victory in previous rounds?

@OhioBoy_99 thanks for putting this together!

I'm pretty excited as the final 2 shows are both from when I was in highschool and are defining gold standard DCI shows for me.  They are both definitely similar style shows reflecting intense drill and visuals of the time. Also, in general the posters on this forum tend to favor the Cadets/Cavaliers...I am honestly not sure of that's national as I have only been to shows in PA, OH and IND.

Something that I think will remain unsettled is whether these are 2 of the best shows all time or if it's a reflection of the low sample size and average age of people voting. I think it's a little of both.

Oddly enough in my survey (which was purely within group) Cadets 11 and Cavaliers 06 were the winners.

The big tourney last year on Facebook saw Crown 15 vs Phantom 08 and I think Crown 15 pulled it off. Younger overall crowd though.

Edited by ThePlanets

4 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

@OhioBoy_99 thanks for putting this together!

I'm pretty excited as the final 2 shows are both from when I was in highschool and are defining gold standard DCI shows for me.  They are both definitely similar style shows reflecting intense drill and visuals of the time. Also, in general the posters on this forum tend to favor the Cadets/Cavaliers...I am honestly not sure of that's national as I have only been to shows in PA, OH and IND.

Something that I think will remain unsettled is whether these are 2 of the best shows all time or if it's a reflection of the low sample size and average age of people voting. I think it's a little of both.

Oddly enough in my survey (which was purely within group) Cadets 11 and Cavaliers 06 were the winners.

The big tourney last year on Facebook saw Crown 15 vs Phantom 08 and I think Crown 15 pulled it off. Younger overall crowd though.

I'm really glad you've enjoyed this! Wasn't sure how the turn out would be!

I am somewhat surprised at the Final 2 myself. But I am not at the same time seeing as though they're 2 of the most successful (and 2 shows considered to be the best) drum corps of all time so of course they will have a larger following. and with everything you have said, that adds up. I do notice that among my generation (I'll be 20 next month), Carolina Crown seems to reign supreme which seems to align with the Facebook tourney from last year.

I feel it's also very hard to come up with an actual "best" show of all time as everyone has different criteria when it comes to that, although when I do hear that, Cavaliers 2002 seems to come up the most. Personally I'm so indecisive that I can't even come up with my own favorite show let alone a best show of all time 😂