Snare Lug Nuts Grease

Snapettes Mom

I'm also changing my top head and nead to grease the rim.

I'm a mile from Home Depo.

What should I use.

The local music store is out.

Thanks,

Dennis

Vaseline.

That's what we always used back in the day.

Dip the tension rod in it then twist it in a paper towell whiping off the excess.

Works Great!

You can use it on the rim too. Make sure you sand it down if needed and check for roundness.

Edited by flammaster

I remember using Vaseline back in the day also.

I thought there might me some better technology.

Somebody was talking about some stuff you can get in a small red bottle at the music store but didn't know the brand name.

I think I'm going to use your recommendation.

Thanks,

Dennis

I use White Lithium Grease that comes in a spray bottle like:

White Lithium #1

or

White Lithium #2

It holds up under high temperatures, high tensions, and moisture a lot better than Vaseline does and it is actually designed for metal-to-metal lubrication. It is also a lot faster and cleaner than using Vaseline - just spray some into each lug casing and your ready to go. And, one bottle will last a long time.

Now you see that. There you go with an impressive answer. But it's already to late. My new white max drum head is alreadly lined and semi reafed with the stuff used from back in the day. I'll take your advise and use it next season.

Mom

I suggest you DON'T use vasoline. Vasoline will catch little particles of dirt, metal flakes and other nasty stuff and gouping up inside your lug casings causing problems under high tensions. WD-40 isn't recommend either. It's too thing wearing off in no time at all. It also makes your tension rods squeek or talk back to you when you are cranking.

I've found white lithium grease, trombone slide oil, and brass valve oil to work quite nicely. I even use these products on my drum sets and snare drums at home.

I agree when it comes to NOT using Vaseline & WD40. I've always used white Lithium Grease, as well (in the tube, not the spray. how is the spray?). Just a dab'll do ya!

BEST,

CJT

Because my drum sounds like caw-caw compared to the rest of the line.

I didn't have any lubricant on the lugs last time I replaced the head last Spring. I could never get the top head tight enough for fear of pulling it and having to explain an expensive unwanted replacement is tough to talk about with the wife. Everytime I tried to lock in with the rest of the line I would get close and the darn lugs really started to squeak and the head was very difficult to tune evenly across the surface if at all.

Mom

My utter ignorance forces me to ask why you even want to grease the lugs to begin with - why is this necessary?

Well essentially you have a tension rod with tiny threads on it kinda like a screw. This is received by a cast aluminum or brass receiver inside the lug casing which is attached to the drum. When putting these two together under torque metal to metal contact creates a ton of friction which results in binding, metal flakes, extreme stiffness when turning/tuning, un-even tuning abilities, maxed out tension when it shouldn't be. Many different causes result of not lubricating tension rods and the receivers inside the lug casings.