Could “camps in the cloud” become the norm?

So after DCI published its most recent statement on COVID-19 and how it will affect the season, multiple corps have announced that their April camps will be conducted digitally, or “in the cloud,” thanks to the power of technology and conference calling. Several corps did the same when March camps were cancelled as well.

That said, as drum corps remains as expensive of an activity as ever, would it be possible/acceptable for corps to start doing this more often under “normal” circumstances to curb travel costs for MMs attending camps from afar, especially as video auditions remain common? Or would it be too much of an inconvenience for the staff members who want to see the members live? I’d be interested to hear your takes.

• Haha 1

I don't see that becoming the norm.  For many corps the April camp is the first camp to have brass, percussion, and guard all together.  That camp is also the first time arrangers/designers get to hear what their work actually sounds like with LIVE musicians...which is a very important in
getting ready for spring training just a few weeks later.  The current formula works, BUT at one time so did 7 days of spring training 🙂

• Like 2

I think they will always prefer live audition camps.  Video auditions have become more and more prevalent these days.  

I could see them doing Feb and March online to save everyone money.

But, Nov, Dec, Jan, April ... in person.

January would probably only be callbacks.  Anyone with a contract should be good to go.