THE STANDSTILLS HAVE ALREADY BEGUN

Just now, Vidal28Rdg said:

San Antonio is not an area I associate with humidity anyways haha. I mostly just leave that to coastal, eastern Texas. DFW escapes the volatility of plains scorching temps, you rarely see high 100’s more so mid 100’s and lower during the summers, not much hotter than that, and it’s not really humid in much of DFW either. The humidity of much of the midwestern region surprised me quite a bit though, it can definitely lead to more inhospitable days than one might expect, even if it doesn’t break triple digits!

This is true. San Antonio sits in a spot that allows them to lose humidity in the afternoon hours due to some other really cool processes. You’ll notice often times it is rather muggy in the early morning hours there and then it burns off a bit during the day. Parts of eastern Texas and especially along the coastal plains don’t get that luxury. 

For the Dallas area, you have the urban heat island for one (which essentially works to the opposite effect with daytime high temperatures meaning your temperature will nearly always be lower than the high temperatures just 15-20, miles outside the city), and two you have the city in a typically much drier area in the southern plains. You go any further west and it dries out really fast. This is because a larger portion of the atmosphere in your area has air coming from the Mexican mountains and southern Rockies. At the surface level you still have the gulf fetch (which is why some days can still be very humid, especially during storm season) but it mixed out with the hot, dry air aloft coming from the southwest and that helps allow temps to skyrocket and humidity on average during the summer to be a tad bit lower than that of eastern/southern Texas. 

• Like 1

Also, I need to slow down and check for typos more when I’m responding from my phone. So many abysmal mistakes from my fat thumbs 😂

10 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

San Antonio is not an area I associate with humidity anyways haha. I mostly just leave that to coastal, eastern Texas. DFW escapes the volatility of plains scorching temps, you rarely see high 100’s more so mid 100’s and lower during the summers, not much hotter than that, and it’s not really humid in much of DFW either. The humidity of much of the midwestern region surprised me quite a bit though, it can definitely lead to more inhospitable days than one might expect, even if it doesn’t break triple digits!

Most of this is directly caused by evapotranspiration from the corn. There are actually many papers written on the sometimes major effects evapotranspiration from corn has on severe weather. 

Us storm chasers call it “Corn Sweatin’ Season” 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

30+ years in the NWS here. Hoping to put some volunteer hours in for a corps (any corps) after I retire in a few years.

Oh good for you! Mind DMing me which office you work for by chance? Over 30 years with the NWS is a long time. I hope you are still enjoying it just as much as when you first started. 

Would love to see you at the next Chasercon in Midwest City next year! 

52 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Pretty sure marching bands have band camp in June in some cases in Texas. If they're smart enough to do so, why isn't DCI??

Most bands here (at least in DFW) start their band camps in late July/early August since that's closer to school starting 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

Oh good for you! Mind DMing me which office you work for by chance? Over 30 years with the NWS is a long time. I hope you are still enjoying it just as much as when you first started. 

Would love to see you at the next Chasercon in Midwest City next year! 

DM sent.

We've got everybody trained on "heat index," "apparent temperature," and "feels like." Just wait until we try to switch them all to the newfangled Wet Bulb Globe Temperature (WBGT).

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

This is true. San Antonio sits in a spot that allows them to lose humidity in the afternoon hours due to some other really cool processes. You’ll notice often times it is rather muggy in the early morning hours there and then it burns off a bit during the day. Parts of eastern Texas and especially along the coastal plains don’t get that luxury. 

For the Dallas area, you have the urban heat island for one (which essentially works to the opposite effect with daytime high temperatures meaning your temperature will nearly always be lower than the high temperatures just 15-20, miles outside the city), and two you have the city in a typically much drier area in the southern plains. You go any further west and it dries out really fast. This is because a larger portion of the atmosphere in your area has air coming from the Mexican mountains and southern Rockies. At the surface level you still have the gulf fetch (which is why some days can still be very humid, especially during storm season) but it mixed out with the hot, dry air aloft coming from the southwest and that helps allow temps to skyrocket and humidity on average during the summer to be a tad bit lower than that of eastern/southern Texas. 

I’m a bit familiar with some meteorological phenomena as I nerded out over it a lot when I was younger, but I also haven’t sought it out and learned further as it wasn’t what I wanted to do when college approached, and i definitely didn’t take the advanced science paths in high school haha. Nearing the few hours before sunset that drying out effect just wears off and you actually do start feeling that heat from the pavement really badly, overhead sun with no clouds in the sky wasn’t as bad as when the sun is angling at you right in your face during either 9-11 am or 6-8 pm, those times just feel AWFUL in DFW😂

8 minutes ago, ediblewaffles said:

Most bands here (at least in DFW) start their band camps in late July/early August since that's closer to school starting 

Typically bands start their band camps the last week in June, but due to UIL restrictions they aren’t allowed to learn any competitive show drill prior to August 1st. Most bands take that first week before august to hammer fundamentals, with some bands producing a small fun show to get the kids engaged and already learning field spacing, dynamics, and everything in a much more toned town way. 

5 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

DM sent.

We've got everybody trained on "heat index," "apparent temperature," and "feels like." Just wait until we try to switch them all to the newfangled Wet Bulb Globe Temperature (WBGT).

Oh yeah that’s going to be FUN trying to teach the public 😂