Professional Licenses across state lines

As an RN in New York State, I have to get permission from any state I was traveling through if my responsibilities included passing medications to someone other than me (or a family member). I work with Developmentally Disabled people. A trip to Hershey Park was planned. I had to request permission to pass their medications while on the trip. I had to submit copies of license and registration, and the request was approved. The request was very limited to passing medications only. 

Nurses that travel with corps - I have seen ads for nurses from touring corps - do more than pass meds that have been previously ordered. They do treatments, pass meds written in the state they are currently in, and can assist in some PT and OT, orders. 

How do corps handle this issue when they have professional licensed people on staff? 

9 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

No answers here, just interested in what people have to say. I'm starting work towards a massage therapy license and there in no way currently to practice across state lines. They're working on it. But a touring massage therapist for corps (I know, dreamy, right?) is out of reach for the time being as far as I can tell for these very reasons.

Some licenses , depending upon the professional license , have state to state reciprocity between states , while others do not . If the license has reciprocity between 2 states , it means for example that if one is licensed in one state and continues with any on going educational requirements in one state , and the license as such is renewed in that state , then the 2nd state will accept that renewal and any Continuing Ed credits in that 2nd state for the continuation of the legal authority to practice in that 2nd state as well.

However , not all states have mutual reciprocity among all states for all state licensing . That’s why it’s always a good policy  to become proactively familiar with the license requirements of one’s license and what the procedure and requirements are in other states , particularly if we intend to future move from a state to another state , and intend to practice in that new  state . 

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Boss Anova said:

Some licenses , depending upon the professional license , have state to state reciprocity between states , while others do not . If the license has reciprocity between 2 states , it means for example that if one is licensed in one state and continues with any on going educational requirements in one state , and the license as such is renewed in that state , then the 2nd state will accept that renewal and Continuing Ed credits in that 2nd state for the continuation of the legal authority to practice in that 2nd state as well.

However , not all states have mutual reciprocity among all states for all state licensing . That’s why it’s always a good policy  to become familiar with the license requirements of one’s license and what the procedure and requirements are in other states , particularly if we move from state to state . 

I'm likely to get my state license before the interstate one has been made available. But that's okay, I know how to transfer body-based knowledge without touch so I can be patient. 😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Some licenses , depending upon the professional license , have state to state reciprocity between states , while others do not . If the license has reciprocity between 2 states , it means for example that if one is licensed in one state and continues with any on going educational requirements in one state , and the license as such is renewed in that state , then the 2nd state will accept that renewal and any Continuing Ed credits in that 2nd state for the continuation of the legal authority to practice in that 2nd state as well.

However , not all states have mutual reciprocity among all states for all state licensing . That’s why it’s always a good policy  to become proactively familiar with the license requirements of one’s license and what the procedure and requirements are in other states , particularly if we intend to future move from a state to another state , and intend to practice in that new  state . 

Reciprocity only means that states accepts that you have a license, and they recognize it. It doesn't allow you to practice in that state until you have requested and received a registration from that state. That is hundreds of dollars a state. 

• Thanks 1