Blue Knights 2023 - Unharnessed

Just a note, for anyone going to Drums Along the Rockies in Ft Collins in a few weeks. Parking passes are available now for the show. Got mine on Friday.

This is my first show since they made the switch out of Denver, and the first time at the new stadium. My ticket notes accommodations with a bar and restaurants inside for the premium seating I bought. I am hoping it’s similar to the premium seating at Mile High Stadium when DATR was there. The premium seating bar with the large screen, bathrooms, and food on the United lounge level made DATR such a great experience- particularly when it rained. 

Also, curious as to how the acoustics are, as Mile High was just about perfect anywhere you sat. 

Anywho, I am hoping I’ll have some time to catch them next weekend at their Adams HS debut. ( I have Denver Comic Con tickets so that might be butting heads in scheduling with me next Saturday). Otherwise, I’ll wait till DATR and seeing how they are. Looking forward to a great season from BK.

Edited by Dmlkmen
  • Like 1

Just saw their debut performance.

According to the corps director, this performance was their first actual full run through.  Weather has been pretty nasty around here—lots of rain, flooding etc.

That said, this show has potential.   Very intricate horn parts.  Drill is much more complex compared to last year.

Horn parts are fairly Jay Bocook esque, which makes sense seeing how Leslie Gilreath is a protégé of his.

Drumline and front ensemble seem solid.  

Overall needs a lot of cleaning, but I look forward to seeing this grow and develop as the season progresses.  The vehicle is definitely there this year.  

Anyone else there tonight?

On 6/25/2023 at 9:49 AM, Dmlkmen said:

Just a note, for anyone going to Drums Along the Rockies in Ft Collins in a few weeks. Parking passes are available now for the show. Got mine on Friday.

This is my first show since they made the switch out of Denver, and the first time at the new stadium. My ticket notes accommodations with a bar and restaurants inside for the premium seating I bought. I am hoping it’s similar to the premium seating at Mile High Stadium when DATR was there. The premium seating bar with the large screen, bathrooms, and food on the United lounge level made DATR such a great experience- particularly when it rained. 

Also, curious as to how the acoustics are, as Mile High was just about perfect anywhere you sat. 

Anywho, I am hoping I’ll have some time to catch them next weekend at their Adams HS debut. ( I have Denver Comic Con tickets so that might be butting heads in scheduling with me next Saturday). Otherwise, I’ll wait till DATR and seeing how they are. Looking forward to a great season from BK.

I really like the switch to CSU for DATR, you’re more on top of the field. I also like that the lot is more of a 3-4 min walk, and getting into the stadium is much quicker. I’d also rather be in a full stadium than one that is only partially full. I think this was a solid switch. 

I think BK has a lot of potential this year. The changes in design staff have led to a more cohesive design, and better looking uniforms than the guard had last year. It also seems the member experience has been great for the kids so far. 

The hornline is miles better than they were last year, with a book that is a lot more aggressive, and true to the esoteric shows of BK’s past. I’m very excited for this show, it is a move in the right direction, and has plenty of potential for a solid return to finals. I wish there was maybe a touch more sound design in the first half, but that’s the only thing that really seems to be missing. I think there is a lot for them to build out throughout the season, and I can’t wait to see that progression. 

I’m only bummed that they aren’t debuting into competition until the 7th, I think they’re one of the last WC corps to debut, and I’m afraid that might hurt them. 

• Like 2

BK was practicing about 2 miles from my house- so naturally I went to watch a bit. They sound much improved from last year! Had a nice chat with Mark also- what a nice dude...