Buccanner Classic 7/15

The Bucs finished the competitive portion of the show with their "Can't Stop, Won't Stop" program. Fro the intial hit it was clear that this program is in another orbit at the point in time. 

The Visual, Percussive, Brass, and Guard elements integrate to an insane level. The visual aesthetics are striking and well designed. The colors used in the Color Guard utensils are perfect. The use of varying musical timbres is fantastic.  The props are well designed and well utilized and integrated.

Musically the show is built around a guitarist, who I think will stand out and be more expressive as the season continues. They have the chops, and they have well-written parts.

In terms of hitting all the buttons... wow. Let's conclude this.

When I looked at the recaps later, I think the numbers bear out my thoughts regarding Cabs and the Bucs:

-Cabs Guard is neck and neck in terms of their excellence in performance- the Bucs' guard I believe is more integrated into the overall structure. I believe it will be a close run thing in this regard at the end of the season.

-Edge to Cabs in terms of Percussion sophistication and performance right now. However- the integration edge goes to the Bucs. (nice to see a solid plate line with Bucs by the way.)

-Brass, definite edge to the Bucs, though the Cabs have the horses to play hard and if they can refine their sound... perhaps close the gap. 

The big issue is Effect. Again- the Cabs' show is VERY good. but it just doesn't feel as well integrated as a whole product, and that's not their fault, more that the Bucs have really hit the nail in terms of a totally unified package that ties it together as a powerful visual and musical production.

Is it over? No. I can think of three instances where it looked over in the post 2005 DCA era and things swapped. Ask MBI peeps about that. Ask the people who were with C2. Ask the Bucs who have been on both ends of that issue. It will be difficulty to surmount an effect advantage since it's so heavily weighted. But it is possible. 

Now the hard part. I was thinking of going to Williamsport but have decided, no. The fun of going to DCA (possibly DCI, we'll see Friday) shows has been finally beaten out of me and worn me down.

It started many years ago at Hershey when a clown physically threatened me when I Blooed the Blue Coats after a quite well done performance by them and we nearly rumbled right there, right then, right now. If my Mom wasn't there, I'd have clocked that guy. I walked out of Hershey Stadium, put an apology note on the window of Mom's car, got in my car and swore off ever going back to a Drum Corps show ever again. My first introduction to Uncle Clem.

Several years later in the mid nineties when I was working as the Assistant to the Director and Show Coordinator at a local High School the Director and Coordinator asked to go with them to Hershey. I told them what happened and told them my feelings, they basically told me they'd be my bodyguards and to come along.

All I'll say is it was fun being with them. They're both special people who always treated me well. As I think about that night- Early 90's Madison was there. They blew the place up. I sat and held my feelings to myself. Heaven forbid I responded to the show and get a disapproving stare from Aunt Mabel and Uncle Clem. Think about that-the crowd becoming sterile and making it so that you're afraid to react and give the performers what they seek and what they deserve. And I'm talking 90's Scouts, for God's sake. I think I can speak for performers today about this. I've talked to them, I've been with them, and they desire a sincere and honest reaction for their efforts. I know that in over 50 DCA contests I competed in, that's what we as a corps sought. An EARNED reaction. Not an obligatory Standing O at the end at regular season DCA performances that seems to be given now which diminishes the gesture. There were times we got them and in the back of our minds, we appreciated it- but didn't feel we EARNED it. There were times we DID earn them and that crowd roar is still memorable. 

Bit by bit, I've been worn down by stuff like this. Sitting in Clifton a few years ago when the Bucs put on a masterful performance. Crickets at the end. At least they didn't boo them like they did Westshore at the 1982 Grand Prix. At least that's an improvement, but we laughed at the crowd and enraged them further. Especially when we won. Sweeeeeet.

Big Sounds when the Cabs won the week before championships. I thought someone died in the stadium. Crickets. Funereal. God- congratulate the winner! The Cabs were GOOD that night for Pete's sake!

Homerism has taken over. I feel like when I go to a show, it's like... Do you have a family member performing tonight? No!? Are you an alumni of the host corps? No!? Are you affiliated with the host High School??? No!?!?!?! Then for God's sake, what are you doing here!? Why are you clapping or standing for THEM!? How dare you say YEAH! or clap for a great solo when it's not the "right" group!?

I know of four people who came that evening because of family and friends performing in one of the DCI corps that sat around me. After those performances, they left and didn't come back. Not to see ONE DCA unit. This stuff just kills me one bit at a time. When My Mom and Dad came to a contest, they saw EVERYONE. And if they liked someone more than Westshore- they cheered for them too! Sunday dinner conversations could be rather animated, spirited, and honest. Mom loved the Cabs, and Dad loved the Bucs and, in his heart, he was a true Phantom Phan. My sister and I had to win them over to us, and Westshore did though a lot of effort. Leaving after your person performs, after paying 27.50 a pop... So bando... and extremely depressing to me.

I think DCA fans that aren't parents or alumni of existent corps because of the half-baked bread/incomplete shows just head to finals now- if they can make the trek to Rochester and can make the trek to Indy in the future. I found those friends in Annapolis and Williamsport. The audience felt like it was more cosmopolitan. No cheering sections, less afraid to express appreciation and gratitude for fine performances.

Ironically I think crowd reactions are still more unbridled in DCI when deserved. Case in point One:

Search "Bluecoats 2014 Pitch Bend Reaction Video (before finals ending)". Watch. I'm one of the nuts standing and going crazy. Read some of the commentary. It's revealing. The Blue Coats put it up the day after that show as a thank you to the audience on Facebook. It meant that much to the corps to see a truly deserved reaction, and an intense one. In DCA- You'll get a filthy look from Aunt Mabel and Uncle Clem if you TRY to do that now.

Around that time, at DCA Prelims at Annapolis- I stood for Kidsgrove at the end of their show (the Valley of the Kings show) and yelled "WHY ARE WE NOT STANDING!?" A few folks got the hint. Fantastic show ending. Who cares if they were 7th!? Great, powerful performance and quite exciting.

There's that video of Cadets a few years back at Allentown when the crowd lost it.  I believe it was Jeff Ream who said it was like a mass audience exorcism of Hopkins. It meant a lot to those kids to see that well-earned and deserved support.

I realized as I drove home why I take notes. It's to prevent me from reacting in any way to get dirty looks from the Aunt Mabels and Uncle Clems. Toe the line. Don't do anything that's a positive and excited reaction to reward the performers, instructional staffs, and design teams for their efforts. It's unseemly, you know, especially when it's a corps that's not the one our Nephew Chad and Niece Ashley are in! Golf claps only! Stand at the end for everyone even if it's unearned! It's the ritual!!! We've seen who we came to see, toodles!!!. Well, I've had enough of it. My spirit is finally broken. Aunt Mabel, you win. I'm too old and worn out to bother going to another DCA contest for the foreseeable future. I'm far more likely to get the streaming package where I can watch and react honestly to the performance.

Maybe if Williamsport continues to have a contest in the future and I can take friends so I'm surrounded by a posse.... yeah. I feel like I'm a round peg in a square hole on the DCA Planet now. God Bless to the performers, who deserve better in so many ways.. I'll keep an ear to the ground and see if the climate gets better for someone like me. Never say never... but it'll be awhile.

Edited by BigW

good stuff Dub and good to see you tonight. as DCA has gotten younger...and the old school fan base you and i grew up with drifted away or passed on, yeah someof that "band show"mentality has hit the stands. Here's the thing....i could give a #### what they think. i like someone...i react. I remember that show where Cabs won....yeah the silence was odd, but home shows always tend to have more of the home teams fans only.

and i don't give a ####. as i continue to introduce my daughter to the activity, she knows to cheer everyone, especially those she likes. when we first watched Crown online this year, she first asked "why no app this year?" LOL kids. she didn't want to like the show...until she couldn't stop herself from liking it. and she had fun at Dover. telling us on the way home who she liked and why.

you love it too much to walk away. yes, i'm a well known heartless ########, i like a corps, i give it up for them, and i could care less what others think. if i hadn't been at the beach last weekend, i'd have been there probably pissing off someones aunt by reacting positively

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Thanks 1

I always felt that it was just as, if not, more important, to cheer for, and give stand O, to the early corps. the 15-20 member corps, who have worked just as hard to put out whatever they do. can't imagine what goes through their minds when after finishing their show and feeling satisfied, to just hear crickets

9 hours ago, dbriggs said:

I always felt that it was just as, if not, more important, to cheer for, and give stand O, to the early corps. the 15-20 member corps, who have worked just as hard to put out whatever they do. can't imagine what goes through their minds when after finishing their show and feeling satisfied, to just hear crickets

I recently had words with someone who commented the dci open class plus Surf show wasn’t worth it. Every corps should be seen and heard and cheered. It’s why I’m so anti lot. Get your ### in the stands and watch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff as always, W!!!

Heh... at last weekend's alumni show in PA (Brenda's with the Hanover Lancers, so wherever she is, I am...LOL), several people asked me which DCA show I'd be at this summer. The answer was "none."  😄

I wish my DCA friends nothing but the best, but my days there will remain in the rear-view mirror. 

Edited by Fran Haring

On 7/24/2023 at 7:25 AM, dbriggs said:

I saw some very good 15-20 member brass sections at Dover, PA. And they were appreciated deeply by the audience. The thing that concerns me, is this- is it forced? is it a ritual just to be nice? I'm not advocating crickets. I know from someone like you, it comes from your heart. Not because you feel obliged, and that's what matters. It matters as a performer. Everyone who performed Friday at Dover earned what they got from everyone in the stands. Very genuine. No cheering sections, a very generalized fan base.

As I said earlier, I've been booed by a Skyliner homer audience. Thankfully, that's not happening anymore, but those of us in that corps wear it as a badge of pride. I'd imagine the Bucs who performed at Clifton wear those crickets as a badge of pride. Killing the Audience at Big Sounds was a big deal for the Cabs that night. 

Standing... When I stand, it's real. The Spartans earned it from me on Friday. Just my personal feelings based on my experiences as a performer.

22 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I recently had words with someone who commented the dci open class plus Surf show wasn’t worth it. Every corps should be seen and heard and cheered. It’s why I’m so anti lot. Get your ### in the stands and watch

Good thing that I didn't hear it too, they'd have had words with ME. It might not be top 6 DCI, but there are things to hear, things to see, and some very fine arranging and design, and those performers are working hard and are well taught.

And, the shows aren't pretentious. Quite accessible.

• Like 1