RIP Ron Nelson

On 12/25/2023 at 7:46 PM, Rudy Wiedoeft said:

94 Years Old.  That's a great run! 

So much more than just Rocky Point Holiday!  I have very much enjoyed playing and conducting several of Ron Nelson's excellent compositions for band and thought I would share the following. 

Here are several pieces by Ron Nelson that were performed by various drum corps.   Take a moment to check some of them out on YouTube.

Aspen Jubilee

Rocky Point Holiday

Sonoran Desert Holiday

Passacaglia (Homage on B-A-C-H) 

Courtly Airs and Dances

Epiphanies (Fanfares and Chorales)

Medieval Suite

Savannah River Holiday

Lauds (Praise High Day)

Morning Alleluias (for the Winter Solstice)

Resonances I

Te Deum Laudamus

Many thanks for this list.  There is also the choral piece "Ring Out, Wild Bells" used as the closer for the Cavaliers 1993 show.

Oh no.  Just saw this.  

Played Rocky Point in high school, but my faves of his I never got to play:  Sonoran Desert Holiday and the Bach Passacaglia.  

He clearly just wrote string parts for the upper woodwinds which made those parts almost impossible to find anywhere to breathe, but his music is still gorgeous.  I was listening to his stuff on my walkman while my classmates were listening to Kris Kross and Nirvana.  

Edited by Lance

The Garfield Cadets played Rocky Point Holiday in 1982 and 1983 with George Zingali's Z-pull drill in the 1983 championship season.  I was in the 27th Lancers in 1977 and 1978 when Zingali was a drill instructor and just starting to create drill design.  My high school band had played Rocky Point Holiday and I had a concert recording of it.  I sometimes wonder if I had played this recording for Zingali and the rest of the staff back in 1977 if it might have led to 27th being the first corps to perform it on the field.