When you wish upon a Star

Cainan,

Thanks for your kind recognition of the hard work, dedication and emotion that went into building a top 12 corps from the ground up in less than a year.

Craig's right. Money did buy the raw materials (horns, drums, busses, uniforms, flags, etc) but it was what the staff and members built using those resources that made Star a finalist in 1985.

We all learned a lot in those 93 days during tour, and for those of us who were there, we wouldn't trade the experiences (good and bad) for anything in the world. It's made us who we are now as individuals, and set the standard for what Star of Indiana would become in the future, both on the field and later on the stage.

BTW, as far as kicking ###, you should've been at our home show in Bloomington the week before finals! According to one of Suncoast's staffers "If finals would've been last week in Bloomington, you guys would be world champions!"

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pink uniforms and Disney music. I was dissappointed with the concept when so much potential was there. But as stated, you guy's performed great and for a first year corps it made it all that much more amazing. Still scratching my head though.....I got a lot of money and Im going to start a drum corps and play Disney music. Did that one ever come up in the "if I won the lottery" threads?

In the earlier years Bill Cook had a lot of say-so in what kind of show the corps did and so forth. For example the wigs on the color guard in '86 were his idea. Later on Jim Mason began to convince Bill to let the corps explore "different" music and visual ideas in order to become more competetive.

PINK UNI'S......Star was the first drum corp to have that lean uniform, not unlike what Cavies, BD, Scouts have today........I just re played 85 and the pink and white uniform looked OUTSTANDING on the field! one more thing about 85,

that rotating 3-D box was a very cool drill move as was the running Big Bad Wolf.

1985 was also the only year Star marched Rifles.

TRIVIA: Star's guard was beating Garfields guard first half of the season.

Jim Mason chose the "Magenta" uniform because it's the opposite of green in the color spectrum. So for example if you take a photo of a green field and look at it in negative the field is magenta. The visual design on the field shows up very well.

Jim Mason chose the "Magenta" uniform because it's the opposite of green in the color spectrum. So for example if you take a photo of a green field and look at it in negative the field is magenta. The visual design on the field shows up very well.

Now THERE'S an interesting factoid...never thought of that. ####### brilliant!!

Brent,

I am not so sure about Jim Mason picking the uni color. Michael Cesario was working with the corps in Bloomington and relayed a story about his efforts to convince the powers-to-be to go with the pink. Though I could just be suffering brain fade. The idea of the opposite of green is interesting though. You should have heard Mark Sylvester's opinion though; "...20000 yards of f@#$ing PINK!"

It is great to see a thread about our 85' show. That was a very special show and group of people. I am very proud to have been apart of it. Though the corps got much better in later years, we never quite got the same crowd reaction as we did that first year. It was a combination of approachable music and just plain shock at seeing this full-sized and obviously good corps that was not there the previous year. It is great to hear that others still can enjoy that show today.

Another trivia question for you; What did the announcer at the very first show, Prarie Brass Review, Normal, Ill, call the corps when we were on the field? (Don''t give it away to fast Spanky!)

Thanks again for the comments. It makes me feel good enough to wear my founding member jacket, but my ex-girlfriend stole it from me. B@#ch.

Michael Chromik

lead mello Star of Indiana D&B Corps 85'-88'

Edited by mchromik

Mike,

I think that you're right... Cesario sold Jim and Bill on the "Fuschia" jackets, but Jim did show us the "negative" of the football field as part of the big sell.

The announcer in Normal... :angry::angry::angry:

I think I'd be hunting that b@#ch down! You have to have your charter jacket!!

I HAVE A STAR SHOW FLAG FROM THE 1986 SHOW, THE FLAG WITH THE "BIG TOP" :)

I had the "when you wish upon a star" flag but it got taken out with old clothes, Good-will.

I have a strong feeling that some drag queen here in LA found the flag and has given it a good home... :(

Edited by Cop

Actually, if it's a "big top" flag, that would probably be from the '87 circus show. '86 was the space show.