Marching Bass

lildrummergirl

i really love percussion, it's my passion. HOWEVER (isn't there always one a those??) i am..um...ah..a flute player *cringe* yeah. i will be the first to admit that flute is the most useless instrument ever to be in a marching band, which is why some smart person invented drum corps!! so i took up bass drum, which has become my heart and soul, except i don't think i'm good enough yet to make the drumline in any corps. i would love some tips, because i can't afford lessons from anyone who could teach (our bassline this year is made up of all new people..) but i would really like to learn enough to march next summer in drum corps.

thanks. i really appreciate it!

Hey...

Never fear, I am a bit reluctant to admit that I myself am a clarinet/saxaphone player turned bass drummer. I played 2nd bass this year for Capital Sound and it was my first real marching and drumming experience. I should also mention that i am a girl... Yeah Drummer Chicks!!!

Marching and Drumming with 15 or so guys who were all "real" drummers was very intimidating at first, to say the least. Marching wasn't so bad, but man it took me awhile to build up my chops, and get the guys to see me as more than a girl... But it was so worth it when we went on final tour, and when our bass drum ensemble scored .75 of a point below Blue Devils at I&E finals.

So i say get started now! 3 most important things:

-Practice pad> Realfeel makes great 12'' double-sided pads

-metronome> Love it! Use it! Worship it!

-technique> Important... get it as soon as possible

And finally, do not be afraid to break any nails... err, i mean- try out for any drum corps! I never thought i would make it, and i just about dropped the phone when i got the call to come back because i had made the line. This summer was the best of my life so far, and i cant wait for next season!

notquitedeafdrummer

Capital Sound BD #2

good to see chicks not afraid to get dirty with the boys in the drumline...always a plus in my book.

i've been playing bass drum for 10 yrs now with an alumni corps and i've managed to learn a few things along the way...ya need chemistry, technique, lots of practice time, and above all else ATTITUDE :D That overwhelming feeling to go on that field and remove someone's face in the crowd.....without that, ya might as well just stay home :P

practice 16ths, triplets, and 32nds.....with some 8ths in there just to make it interesting.....with attitude B)

my 2 cents

Chris Chessario

Thunderbird bass drummer(93- till i'm worm food) :lol:

hey Drummer girl,

I also am a multi-talented bass drummer. i started out on any and every Treble clef horn that had at least 2 valves. sure i marched some snare in high school but that was it. nothing serious. then this past year i heard there was an open spot in the Renegades bassline (the corps i was playing bari with for the time.) so i jumped at the chance. i was of course worried cuz i never really played bass. but i gave it my all. got great instruction from Murray Gussick, Kent Cater, Lee rudnicki and everyone else in my line. also the guy on top bass was my drumline instructor from HIGH SCHOOL!!!! (let me tell u, playing with guy who used to teach you, is an AWSOME experience.) as the season passed i started gettin really good compliments from everyone and i just busted my ###. now im trying out for a top 5 corps this year with high hopes!

so i guess i would give this advice. if you havent played bass in a corps, and its somethin you really wanna do, Try a senior corps in your area, or even a div 2-3 corps. i will never regret Marching with Renegades and i cant wait to go back! (your so spoiled in seniors :-p)

i think it's awesome that you wanna march bass. you definetely should get a pad or just use a pillow(depending on which bass you wanna play). Sticks are a definite must. Get Delucia's!!!!!!!!!!! and tape them!!!!!!!!!!!! If they do not wok your chops, then nothing will. Definetely work on progressing from 8th notes (ones), to 16ths (twos), to sextuplet partials (threes), to 32nd's (fours). It does take a lot of time and dedication, but trust me it's worth it. (Also, you get nice looking forearms :lol: :) ) But, yea, just keep working on it. Do a div. 2/3 corps or a senior corps. Also, you should do some independent line for winter percussion. Have fun and keep practicing!!!!!

-Giancarlos

In my experience, woodwind players make the best bass drummers. Usually better than the kids who have been playing percussion throughout school. So, just keep practicing and go for it! My best advice, play 16th note check patterns with a metronome whenever you get a chance. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, contact me and I'll send you the exercise. Good luck.

thats so random. it seems most bass players come from other sections. other then percussion. hmmmmmm

Im a bass chick and I played Clarinet back in high school (well, never in the marching activity), but I find that being able to read bass lines are easier. So don't be "scurred".

Do it and and get it chick! :P