Dead Corps You Want Back

The most recent posts got me to thinking whether the "rise" of DCI had some similar negative effect on the number of corps in the UK or Europe or anywhere else in the world!

Clearly, there must be a relationship between the many hundreds of local drum corps in the 60's through mid 70's in the US, and the rise and eventual "conquest" of drum corps by DCI that has resulted in far fewer corps in the US, with a fairly predictable top 12 each year.

And I cannot believe that "finances" were the ONLY factor in many corps' demises!

I am probably mistaken, but in England as with everything else 'other' interests or attitudes contributed to the demise of many corps. In their heyday we did not have computer games, ipods, satellite t.v and all of these other distractions.

Kids today do not place the same values on belonging to a group that can contribute to the community or their own personal growth. That reqires work and commitment. Today's youth (or at least a majority of them) want a quick fix for fun. They give in to image and peer group pressure. Some things that are dear to us are not 'cool' for them.

A bit pessimistic I know, but these are solely my thoughts and observations.

:(

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am probably mistaken, but in England as with everything else 'other' interests or attitudes contributed to the demise of many corps. In their heyday we did not have computer games, ipods, satellite t.v and all of these other distractions.

Kids today do not place the same values on belonging to a group that can contribute to the community or their own personal growth. That reqires work and commitment. Today's youth (or at least a majority of them) want a quick fix for fun. They give in to image and peer group pressure. Some things that are dear to us are not 'cool' for them.

A bit pessimistic I know, but these are solely my thoughts and observations.

Yeah its the same way here in the States my friend. There was a time in this country where Drum Corps was the second biggest youth activity in the country! Second only to baseball. I miss the old days!