The tenor bugle, a lost horn

Jeff

In the early days of drum corps, there were three bugles, soprano, tenor, and baritone. The tenor bugle was employed as a lower soprano voice, playing the second and third parts. I recently came across one and have photos posted so you can actually get an idea of the size. The Boosey & Hawkes model shown is larger than a soprano and smaller than a flugelhorn. These instruments were largely gone after the french horn and mellophone appeared.

The Boosey & Hawkes model was obtained from Canada, made in the late 1950's, and is pitched in G. The quality is quite good and the silver plating was rather rare in that era. The photos are shown next to a Getzen soprano from the early sixties to give an idea of the size.

Here are the links;

http://home.hvc.rr.com/jmitchell1/P1010097.JPG

http://home.hvc.rr.com/jmitchell1/P1010099.JPG

Enjoy,

Speaking of photo's, your avitar rocks!!

Looks like you are one of the back up players for Bill Chase. Awesome!!

B) ....that's what I started on, the "ole tenor soprano"....the voicing we had in the corps I marched in at that time (Northernaires)...was 1,2,3 sop...1,2,3 tenor, Frenchies, baritone and bass-baritone..

Bill

Kilts

:P

• 2 weeks later...
Speaking of photo's, your avitar rocks!!

Looks like you are one of the back up players for Bill Chase. Awesome!!

Thanks for the kind words. To be mentioned in the same sentence with Bill Chase is an honor. Back in my rock'n'roll days, we mostly made a living covering Chicago along with a variety of the great horn bands of the times. It was a great time to be young.

Oddly, my musical career largly came about due to the breakup of my drum corps. While others scattered to other corps, somehow I got hooked up a fine band. My drum corps training came in handy as we played as many as six sets an evening at high decibels.

Then a bad thing happened, DISCO. It is still to painful to discuss. The hippee look gave way to ruffled shirts, platform shoes, and an unyielding drum beat that never ceased, except for a bass solo. :lol: